Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

My DIY Van mount build thread (with pics) part 1

WCF

Help Support WCF:

jimmyboots

Ok, here is my build thread for a 350 litre Van mount.

The following is a list of things that I have bought to do this mostly from the internet.

Also I have post this on Peter's forum too.

This is a thread to help anyone who is thinking of doing this themselves and saving a lot of money. Plus by doing this, you will have a better understanding of how your system works and consequently, will be able to identify or fix any problems that arise during use.

So to start with the list plus prices as of early 2014. This is my personal list so some things like wood for shelving etc might not be needed.

350litre tank..........................................pure freedom...................£143.58

Steel for tank frame..............................Ebay.................................£ 30.50

3m x 4m DMP Membrane...................Screwfix...........................£ 8.79

2.5m x 1.5m Rubber Matting...............Ebay.................................£ 34.99

pump, strainer, flow controller..............Cleaning warehouse.......£150.00

110ah leisure battery.............................Ebay................................£ 67.50

Split charge relay...................................Ebay................................£ 19.65

Hosereel.................................................Cleaning warehouse........£ 69.60

100metre 6mm ID microbore hose.....Gardiners.........................£ 44.40

12v Digital voltmeter.............................Ebay.................................£ 1.79

Brass tap + connectors.........................Ebay...................approx...£ 15.00

blank caution signs x3..........................Wintecs............................£ 37.55

Pole hooks x6........................................pound shop.......................£ 1.00

6x1220x2440mm plywood sheet.........wickes..............................£ 15.18

Black spray paint +22mm clips...........One stop DIY..................£ 6.00

TOTAL.....................£645.53

That's total including steel for a tank frame, split relay, voltmeter, caution signs,plywood to make shelving and van flooring.

I make pure prior to filling the tank so the RO and DI is not in the van.

The Van is my VWT4 SWB. Here is the interior with a DMP membrane layed down under a rubber matting.

Next just placing in the tank to see where it is best placed

Now onto the frame. These can cost a lot of money to buy so thought i would make my own Here is a link to the steel angle iron I used. I am quite proud of this /emoticons/smile.png

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360689343112?var=630140486527&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

frame made up

Frame being sprayed

Frame all sprayed up. I also put 4 bolts on the side of the frame to seat the control board

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey Jimmyboots

I got the DMP membrane from screwfix and should be getting the rubber matting any day now.

I just want to check the best way of securing the DMP and the rubber matting on the van floor. I will be laying my over the plywood.

Do you use nails or heavy duty staple gun to secure your DMP and rubber mapping?

Thanks

Dave

Hey Jimmyboots
I got the DMP membrane from screwfix and should be getting the rubber matting any day now.

I just want to check the best way of securing the DMP and the rubber matting on the van floor. I will be laying my over the plywood.

Do you use nails or heavy duty staple gun to secure your DMP and rubber mapping?

Thanks

Dave
No mate, i didn't use any nails or staples as I wanted it waterproof.

I laid it out flat on the floor over the plywood, and run it about 3 or 4 inches up the sides of the van. I secured it to the sides using Duct tape. (Which is still holding fine now)

Then when all the DMP membrane is down, I cut the rubber matting to the contours of the floor. Overlapping the side door step and tucking in under the plastic trim at the rear door.

How are you sealing the corners of the dpm? Around the wheel arches etc? Just a tidy cut and mastic?

How are you sealing the corners of the dpm? Around the wheel arches etc? Just a tidy cut and mastic?
No mate, just a tidy cut about 3 or 4 inches up the side and some black duct tape around which holds it in place if you can see on the pics

If the van fills with more than 3inches of water I am really in the s#!+ lol

How are you going to secure the frame to the van floor?

No offense, but if you're planning on screwing it to the floor with bolts through those little holes in the angle iron...well for me that is where this job fails as that will be unsafe IMO.

Even if you had ratchet straps (which are very strong) it is how they are secured that matters. If you can find bolts with a SHEARING strength of about 10 tons, and they are bolted through the chassis not just the floor, then maybe you'll be ok.

Otherwise not. Just my opinion.

I was just wondering where you wire the 12v Digital voltmeter to! I bought one as well but I'm not sure what to do with it.:confused:

I was just wondering where you wire the 12v Digital voltmeter to! I bought one as well but I'm not sure what to do with it.:confused:
Its over a year now since I wired the van mount, I think I just wired it onto the 2 wires on the controller as the voltmeter comes on when I turn on the system and stays on.

When I did the last Trolley, I ran 2 wires straight to the battery pos/neg, and put a separate switch on so I could turn it on/off independently from the pump.

Dont know if you can tell on pics 16-17 I think

http://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/threads/diy-heavy-duty-trolley-step-by-step-van-mount-pics-part-1.15348/

Cheers for this guide mate! I've been racking my brains as to how to cheaply waterproof my van and stop any leaks going in through the bulkhead and wrecking my cab. I was at a loss but your membrane and rubber matting idea is brilliant! Just ordered the gear and hopefully will get it fitted this weekend. Thanks again

Back