Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Diy Brush

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Richard

Just had a call from a window cleaner wanting some pencil jets & other bits for DIY brushes, he also asked what I thought/recommend a DIY brush. My response is in part below -

“One of the main reason window cleaners jet there own brushes that they have brought from the supermarket, is because they don’t earn enough. They obviously think saving about £85 a year on this cost is a good decision.

A huge difference in disposable income will dictate your spending habit, and this affects your business. E.g. someone with a disposable income of £5k per year or a £95 per week, compared to someone with £25K or £480 per week; with less disposable income the temptation to DIY is stronger.

Wfp brushes are cost effective piece of equipment, for every £1 pound you spend on new replacement jetted brush you should be getting about £350 in return, if the brush is replaced every 3-4 months. DIY a brush for window cleaning isn’t necessary, even if you are a part time window cleaner.”

Needless to say I didn’t recommend any brush for DIY.

Richard

People scream i earn £200 a day, £50 an hour, £300 a day, £30 an hour. Blah Blah Blah.

Yet they drive an un sign written van, with a pole that weighs more than sack of spuds and a brush that looks like its cleaned the P&O ferry fifty times and has about 100 bristles left on it.

I cannot understand why people dont invest in equipment if they earn all this "big money"

i used to make my own brushes and for a few quid got a lot of work out of them, does the same job.

just like diy systems and poles to shop brought systems and poles.

i made just as much money with a diy than a garndiners.

with the diy ones you can do what you like with it put jets where you want etc, down side to a lot of wfp brushes you can only put them in certain places

If somebody has spent hours and hours researching and developing a brush why would you "DIY" one?

I was called over to a job last week.

"Your man has damaged all my windows"

I got to the house and i nearly cried. Thick black marks everywhere!!!! it was a first clean. Luckily she got the vans mixed up. We hadnt even cleaned the house, the window cleaner was using this massive black brush type thing. Looked like it weighed about a kg! Never seen one like it before. I "think" it was from that beta brush pack. He was quite rude about it. We tried marking a sill and yep it did!!

If somebody has spent hours and hours researching and developing a brush why would you "DIY" one?

I was called over to a job last week.

"Your man has damaged all my windows"

I got to the house and i nearly cried. Thick black marks everywhere!!!! it was a first clean. Luckily she got the vans mixed up. We hadnt even cleaned the house, the window cleaner was using this massive black brush type thing. Looked like it weighed about a kg! Never seen one like it before. I "think" it was from that beta brush pack. He was quite rude about it. We tried marking a sill and yep it did!!
there are a few reasons,

cost, make it how you want it, put jets where you want. light and has lots of brissles for scrubbing.

but you have to get the right brush, you just cant use any brush though,

So what brush could i jet that cleans better than extreme and is around the same weight?

Well its 145g - 165g

So if they don't clean better why would you "diy one" ?
there are a few reasons,

cost, make it how you want it, put jets where you want. light and has lots of brissles for scrubbing.

but you have to get the right brush, you just cant use any brush though,

Well as you have made some can you point me in the right direction?? /emoticons/smile.png
the ones that we used to use was from asda, they seemed to last the longest, lightest of the diy brushes and with the right feel brissles, not to hard not to soft.

used to have 4 jets on them and we had some with them going up the middle of the brush and had a few with the jets on the top edge of the brush.

It’s never really been whether it ‘Cleans Better’ given enough time any brush will get the results you want. Time is money though; being hung up on the weight of a brush is costing you money.

Once a window cleaning brush is low enough in weight, the weight is no longer an issue. The problem has been solved; you can’t solve it again by reducing the weight more, because the problem doesn’t exist.

These days if you’re maintaining 3 bed properties it feels like you’re taking longer to reel the hose in, than it does to clean the windows - unless you use a bad performing brush, poor technique, bendy pole etc - thinking about getting a lighter brush wont solve your problem.

Speed of cleaning is the most important aspect to a window cleaning brush; you can use a brush that weighs 100 grams, but if you’re going to take 3-5 times as long to clean, you lose money and you get more/just as tired cleaning fewer windows. Which I suspect is happening.

Richard

(As turning up at my customers properties with a brush from a supermarket, not a chance)

But then when a heavy brush gives me a bad back and I have to constantly stop THAT is costing me money.

With an extreme setup. Pole and brush. I can clean all day.

Anything over 200 grams I get back pain.

The extreme brush takes 4 strokes to one stroke of the Tecbuk Aerial brush. If you want to believe you can only work with 200g brush or less (and blame nothing else) that’s your choice. You don’t think lifting the pole, the hose, the water etc has an effect, it just the brush. Saying all of that I do agree, that some brushes are really bad. :Image13:

The discrepancy between earnings and window cleaners is huge; I think the real challenge with window cleaning is raising your earnings to what the next man is achieving, and going further if you can.

Some may not be up for that challenge, but there are far more interesting things to do in life than clean windows for a living – so if you’re going to do this, clean windows for a living, it makes sense to me to earn what is at least possible.

I made wfp brushes, because at the time there was no brush that was up to this challenge, money is in the wfp systems and Carbon Fibre poles.

I’m still primarily a window cleaner, and the one thing no one was doing was improving the brushes. The branding & marketing and then all the hype was done with these new brushes when they came out, but no tangible improvements to cleaning, just hype. Some suppliers even sold you brushes you could have brought from the supermarket and jetted them for you and charge you a premium, others still continue to sell vehicle/truck cleaning brushes!

Richard

Back