Rain water barrel transfer

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by UncleAlbert, May 27, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. UncleAlbert

UncleAlbert Member

What's the easiest way to get water out of my rain water barrel and through my RO + DI filter
    In order to create pure ?

Advertisement
  2. Smurf

Smurf Banned

I've tried a submisersible pump connected to a 300 gpd RO that did not work as you need good tap pressure of 40 + psi and a high volume of water so the ro can work efficently. However using a decent submersible pump with inline filters acttached connected to di tanks will produce pure from havested rainwater. Downside to that if the harvested rainwater tds is high which mine is normally about 045 ppm then will cost more in resin than I would use just using an RO connected to a tap.

3. RiceRocket

RiceRocket Well-Known Member

You could just put the rainwater through the DI vessel, ideally you'd need the barrel to be higher than the DI & a strainer in the hose in between. Although it's only worth doing this for 25L drums filling.

4. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Not tried that myself but maybe the di tank needs to be higher than the 25ltr drum too to work properly if the water is only gravity fed.

5. Dodger

Dodger Hero

I use a shurflo 16psi pump full speed its just right to go through di mate.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

6. Dodger

Dodger Hero

Oh and 45 ppm smurf you need to clean your roof mate. My 2 butts this week ones full at 4ppm other is 3ppm.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

7. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Well my gutters need cleaning too Dodger :D

I did a little experiment just now on a head of harvested rainwater water being approx 600 ltrs in a 1000 ltr ibc with a ppm of 12. The tank is sat on the ground so just to have a play I connected via the bottom tap a hose with a sediment filter, carbon block filter & a 10 inch di canister which also was sat on the ground. Flow rate was good through the pre filters but when I fiited the di canister the water flow was reduced to a trickle. It took approx 7 mins to make 1/2 litre of pure so not brilliant but in priciple if the holding tank was higher than the filters & di tank also the outlet of the di tank is below the holding tank outlet you can make pure without the need for an electric pump. However the 25 ltr barrels of water you want to fill will also need to be lower than the outlet of the di or will take forever to fill.

8. Smurf

Smurf Banned

My second experiment just now was using the same prefilters & 10 inch di canister but this time powered by a submersible pump that took 27 seconds to produce 1/2 ltr of 000 ppm pure. :D

9. Smurf

Smurf Banned

If using a sub pump and inline prefilters don't use a 10 inch di canister as the resin won't last long. Instead use one even better two di tanks also maybe best to add a flow valve before the twin di tanks so you can adjust the flow rate if need be.

10. UncleAlbert

UncleAlbert Member

All sounds expensive to me :sad:

Advertisement