Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

best way of employing r lass

adamangler

Wakefield Window Warrior
Evening gents.

Currently i am working 30 hours pw in paid employment and do windows/car valeting part time, im at the point where i cant take on any more work due to not having time, but not earning enough to go full time.

Anyway r lass has just lost one of her 2 jobs and has offered the notion of helping me get my round going and doing some window cleaning herself.

At first i was dubious, but thinking about it it sounds a good idea, she will only be working with me 2 days a week so we might avoid killing each other.

For the immediate time being she will just be helping me out leafletting and cleaning the odd window.

But my question is what would be the best way going forward? would i be better employing her and paying her a wage or could she register as self employed and sub contract work off me?

i want to be the business owner, its my round and my business i dont want a partnership in that sense.

i know of a few couples in the same position as you Adam and there are some good tax benefits if you do it right I will give them a phone tomorrow and have a chat with one of them and report back.

Good to hear things are moving in the right direction mate.

Hi @adamangler, good to hear work is coming in thick and fast! With regards to her going self-employed, it's likely you'll still legally need employers' liability - she'll be trading under your name, instruction etc I'd imagine? (Double check with HMRC, as the fines are astronomical if you get caught without it and they deem that you should have it).

In terms of setting up a partnership, you wouldn't necessarily be legally obliged to have employers' liability if she was a partner, but as you said you want to remain the sole owner.

My Dad had a partnership in name only with my mam and was able to use both tax allowances the only problem with that Adam it will be legally binding and you both own the business.

Yeh its a bit complicated for now. I think ill just get her to help out with leafletting and canvassing. Once ive got enough work for myself ill reconsider.

Cheers

Is she already self employed? Ask her to sub contract for you.

Make sure she's insured for any work done.

no mate, she will just be helping out leafletting for now starting next week until she gets another job, looked into it and im in no position to employ legally right now

cheers

Back