Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

A question I've always wanted to ask the masses.... Ionics....

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Luke Elliott

Who actually buys the likes of Ionics and Brodex complete systems? I know a fairly large operation round this way called Progress Window cleaning use their kits. And I can understand an operation of that size investing that kind of cash. But has anyone ever known of a small operation spending that much? What do you get from it? Is it really better than anything we can do ourselves? Sure they are packaged beautifully and are no doubt refined - but what about things like couplings ageing and leaking? A lot of these complete systems still use the same half inch QRC's. So what are you paying for other than a name?

I simply would never spend that much money. I'm just curious to know what convinces people to if they aren't a large company. And even if it is just large operations buying these systems. Can there be enough of them to keep Ionics going?

While I'm at it - any thoughts on what the new Ionics Zero system actually means. They've got a couple more filtering steps in there beyond your normal stages. And some gumph about it killing legonella. Is it UV filtering by any chance? After all we can all get to zero ppm easy enough.

Edit - this isn't me ranting or judging. I am just simply curious to know why they charge so much compared to your average self install from any number of retailers.

I know a lad who has just had a Grippatank system to a newish van he bought. He uses Xtreme poles etc, must spend a fortune. Can't work it out myself.

I don't think I'd ever buy an Ionics system unless I came into a load of dosh. Blokes who use these kind of systems are usually willy wavers IMO. 'Ooh look at my system, I must be a brilliant window cleaner.' Pah!

Back when pure20 were doing their own thing before I guess Ionics bought them out (?) I had a marketing call from the lady that ran the show. She was trying to convince me that their system was better than a DIY. They claimed to have come from a window cleaning back ground and knew what window cleaners wanted. I had an answer (not exactly rocket science is it) for every reason she could give me to buy one. Eventually she said can I get one of our happy customers to call you and give his thoughts. I said ok. I was at least curious to know why he thought his system was better. Turns out he hadn't been cleaning for more than six months and didn't know any better. This was his first foray into the water fed pole. Nice chap but all he could tell me was how much he earns per day verses how much the monthly payment for the equipment was. I soon told him I earned more than he did and I hadn't just committed to what I kid you not at the time was £10,000 of outlay. This was a when carbon poles were only new on the market. Or rare at the very least. I told the lady at pure20 that in my opinion if she wanted to push window cleaning development that packaging a fancy looking pump and R.O system wasn't the future. In my opinion. I suggest she put her monies into pole development. Now 6 years later our basic tank, pump and controller haven't changed. But poles and ancillary items have developed a long way and pure 20 - not selling their own poles - have been bought out by Ionics and are now selling what basically amounts to pre built DIY systems.

I've always assumed it was the commercial sector who go to Ionics, rarely hear of anyone who does residential who has their products.

I know a lad who has just had a Grippatank system to a newish van he bought. He uses Xtreme poles etc, must spend a fortune. Can't work it out myself.
I don't think I'd ever buy an Ionics system unless I came into a load of dosh. Blokes who use these kind of systems are usually willy wavers IMO. 'Ooh look at my system, I must be a brilliant window cleaner.' Pah!
I have a ionics system. And yes I am a brilliant window cleaner. No I am not a willy waver.!!

I do subscribe to the "You get what you pay for" philosophy - - but that only works up to a certain point and Ionics are really extracting the urine with their prices!

What turned me off more than their pricing was the huge steaming pile of marketing BS that launched their "Parts Per Billion" systems - - "Its 1000x better" they said,.... those kind of blatant lies no doubt fooled a lot of newbies into buying a system the cant afford!

There will always be a market for so say top end kit and they are still in business so they must be doing something right

Also a few around my way use ionic van mounts and poles so they must be good surely /emoticons/biggrin.png

Might be a bit difficult that one or rather painful for someone else you manage to get hold of to wave about /emoticons/biggrin.png

I have a ionics system. And yes I am a brilliant window cleaner. No I am not a willy waver.!!

Back