Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Converting backpack to van set up

WCF

Help Support WCF:

S

SolarPanelCleaning

Well I found a load of hose earlier today, maybe 50m. Was thinking of taking pump out of shurflo back pack (on a sack trolley) and running it straight from tanks in me van. Apart from being a distance away from the speed controller of pump ( a four way thing) when cleaning, is there anything obvious I should consider? I've not removed the pump and switch to have a look at it yet.. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Not sure what pump is in a Shurflo backpack but I would be pretty sure it isn't the normal heavy duty Shurflo pumps most of us have.

The pump in our backpacks are all much smaller, have a lower pump rate and use much less current due to the small capacity of the battery. Not sure it would fare well with having to push water through 50 meters of hose TBH.

People have successfully converted a PureFreedom tolley into a van mount system as they use the heavy duty Shurflo pump.

I would save your backpack and buy what you need to make your van into a van mount. We use our backpack numerous times a day.

i seen a van mount yesterday , a £15 backpack pump, homemade controller, 100metres of pole hose on a garden reel. 600litre water tank, says hes had this set up about a year. he turned up to do a house i do, been cleaning it for 3 months. i do it monthly he does it 2 weekly. owner has never mentioned anything

strange

Save it as may come in handy.

I you want a van mount just buy some decent parts to make a van mount is what I would do.

Well I found a load of hose earlier today, maybe 50m. Was thinking of taking pump out of shurflo back pack (on a sack trolley) and running it straight from tanks in me van. Apart from being a distance away from the speed controller of pump ( a four way thing) when cleaning, is there anything obvious I should consider? I've not removed the pump and switch to have a look at it yet.. Any thoughts? Thanks.
mate just try it that's all I can say. if your good we your hands youll be ok. I don't have hands when it comes to all this. god gave me feet for hands

Buy a bigger pump then. I may try it out anyway, just because I've bugger all else to do! Getting sick of pouring into my trolley. Forgot I was topping a container up from the tanks in the van today and wasted loads of water. ***.

Buy a bigger pump then. I may try it out anyway, just because I've bugger all else to do! Getting sick of pouring into my trolley. Forgot I was topping a container up from the tanks in the van today and wasted loads of water. ***.
Easily done /emoticons/smile.png

i seen a van mount yesterday , a £15 backpack pump, homemade controller, 100metres of pole hose on a garden reel. 600litre water tank, says hes had this set up about a year. he turned up to do a house i do, been cleaning it for 3 months. i do it monthly he does it 2 weekly. owner has never mentioned anythingstrange
I know a windie in Guisborough who has the same arrangement. They didn't know about each for about 2 years until a couple of months ago. One had just finished and was packing away when the second arrived and redid the job. Both got paid as normal.:laugh:

All I can say is poor pump. They are just light duty pumps. The 65 psi of the first Shurflo pumps pushed the water through our 1/2" garden hose without issue in the days before minibore/microbore and upgraded 100psi pumps.

Its like replacing a 1.6 petrol engine in a Ford Focus with a 1.0 litre turbo motor - difficult to get one's head around.

Last edited by a moderator:
mate just try it that's all I can say. if your good we your hands youll be ok. I don't have hands when it comes to all this. god gave me feet for hands
I honestly do feel for those who aren't mechanically or practically minded. It costs so much to get someone to do it for you.

This Christmas break was a busy one for me. I wired in a decent junction box which will accommodate a second split charge relay when I get my diesel heater working the way I want it to work. I also tided up my wfp cabling in the van. I also replaced the cambelt, aux belt and water pump on my Hdi Citroen Relay and took the opportunity to give it its annual service as well. Whilst it took much longer for me to do than an experienced mechanic would, doing the job myself saved me at least £500.00 in labour charges.

Personally when i get a backpack i have no interest in a van mount

Would rather take the trolley round than unravel loads of hose and the reel it all up again

If you fill from a van mounted tank with a hose into the trolley/ backpack it isn't heavy work

Each to their own but for me using a wfp trolley and having to hump water about done my head in.

Personally when i get a backpack i have no interest in a van mountWould rather take the trolley round than unravel loads of hose and the reel it all up again

If you fill from a van mounted tank with a hose into the trolley/ backpack it isn't heavy work

Oh I forgot to mention you have to keep filling the bloody thing too /emoticons/biggrin.png

Also I was always worried about running out of water so the pump was turn down low even though I used an aquadapter on the pole. So in effect it took much longer to rinse down properly and all the walking back and forth from the van added extra time to my day . Don’t get me wrong they do in handy for the odd access issue job but no way would I go back to using a bloody trolley or backpack again... Hell no.:rolleyes:

Reckon I may be 15 to 20% quicker if I could leap out of the van, grab the pole and get to work, I may be wrong though. Nearly all of mine are detached properties, no terraced houses. Lots of potential for hose getting caught on stuff.

well got backpack sorted, had it out today and the trolley it sits on bust, bottom frame just cracked, imposible to walk with, wouldnt tilt onto wheels, been waiting for them trolleys to go down in price in local aldi, this is same as one i got, 4 years old, just wear and tear. may have to get one now.

then my gardiners hose cracked, water seeping down pole, had to carry on as nearly finishing for day.

luckily second pole to use tomorrow morn.

does anyone have a good pole hose that dosent keep rigid in this weather. have you a link.
The pole hoses do my nut in !!! Today for example, I extended my pole up to around 40ft I needed to extend it a bit more but no I the hose wrapped around itself and I had to pull the poll back down and untangle it! Someone needs to make one that doesn't kink!! I've got the aqua dapter pole hose and its shite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back