Recently bought window cleaning round stolen back by sellers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Business' started by Elmz, Apr 7, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Elmz

Elmz Newcomer

Hi just looking for any advice really, this is the story.

I recently bought some round from two lads who were moving to Wales, They needed the money so I also employed them before they went for a time. They went and i was doing the work for a couple of months. Happy days.
    This month comes around and I go to the jobs and they have all been done by these boys who have come back, not only that they collected money that was owed to me from the month earlier.

So me and my mate go to the house to have a word, and their mum comes out and says she will call the police, they boys come out and say they dont care they sold it to me they are going to continue to do it and its up to the customers who cleans their windows and if we do anything the police are going to be called, This is not a problem as i am trying to run a legitimate business and dont want to resort to violence even though its very tempting, and in a way yes it is up to the customers who cleans their windows, any other firm but not them.

Ok so the legitimate route so far has been going to the customers and explaining what has happened, Some of them seem sympathetic to the situation, some say first come first serve. The situation is made worse by the fact they used to work for me, so people assume its normal. One elderly lady got so spooked because they told her her gutters were leaking (her son is a builder and they are fine) she doesn't want anyone to clean her windows now

Right now Im almost 2 grand down getting mugged off by two thieving kids who i helped, Is there anything i can do about this apart from the obvious?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. CMRwindowcleaning

CMRwindowcleaning Active Member

Did you get anything in writing?

3. Elmz

Elmz Newcomer

Yeah I have a receipt for what I bought.

4. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I can't comment without being banned for my language
    If you get nowhere with the legal route leave it a few months..go on holiday..when you are away get someone to give them a spanking so you can't be blamed
    I know it's not the right thing to do but you'll feel better about it

5. Elmz

Elmz Newcomer

Restraint is hard yes. Has this happened to anyone else? or is this particularly uncommon, I have never heard anything like this before. Yeah I just wanted to check if there was actually any legal route to go or if this is my only option.

6. Green Pro Clean Ltd

You have a receipt. Do you have a contract stating that they agree not to work the area or customers for say 3 or 5 years or whatever?

If not your screwed.

No violence is not the answer and daveyboy has just screwed you on hiring a 'hit man' whilst your on holiday as it's now public record

I sold work to Paul Dodsworth on here and we have a contract that explains a round is sold is nothing more than good faith.

Also if these customers are saying 'first come first served' then you dont want them anyhow

7. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

It was a joke Green Pro Clean Ltd
    Nobody would actually do that although we would all feel like it

8. JBC88

JBC88 Member

Something similar happened to my uncle.

He worked the round he was wanting to buy with the seller's as a part down payment. He paid a deposit got receipt and then the following week round details and full payment were due to be exchanged but my uncle couldn't get hold of the guy he did a vanishing act. He had no joy going round the customers saying what happened so took it to court.

Although he won the case he's had no refund of deposit at all. He can only now pursue with county sheriffs but decided not to due to the ongoing expense.

Also the guys were quite dodgy and knew where he lived so he didn't want any comeback. Hes wrote it off.

Court us legal way to deal with it but by no guarantee of getting any money out of them. Sorry to hear mate.

Next time you buy make sure the contract lists every house and customer you're "buying" and make sure there's a no compete clause like what Green was saying.

On a positive note my uncle does really well now he has a bigger round than what he was buying. If you are resilient and determined I'm sure you will succeed in the long run.

9. CMRwindowcleaning

CMRwindowcleaning Active Member

I've heard of someone who was working another persons round for them for a while. They then tried to sell it within that time frame but it all came out before the transaction went ahead. When I bought work I made sure I had signature copy of the guys identification with a contract saying that he could not canvass or work within 5 mile radius of any job sold to me! Try your best to take them to court and scare them with some letters from a solicitor explaining the possible legal consiquences of their actions. Try and find any evidence you have such as customers and txt messages anything. Hopefully this might be enough to scare them into backing off! If that doesn't work I would personally keep cleaning the windows until the customers told me or them to back off and then would make it my mission to make it impossible for them to have any kind of respectable round they will probably lose 90% now as they customers are going to get fed up with the hassle of it.

10. David K

David K Forum Addict

If the to guys are moonlighting , IF ! Go report Them to revenue ..

Advertisement