Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Reels. Are they worth it?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Truckcab79

I use 30m of hose. A 20 and a 10. Does for most jobs without moving the pressure washer. Coiling them back up is a ballache though. Is it worth mounting a reel on the washer? Obviously it’s going to add to the weight I have to lift into the van unless I sort some sort of quick disconnect bracket. Currently I store them coiled in the buffer tank which is really handy but unrolling and rolling back is a bore.

I use 30m of hose. A 20 and a 10. Does for most jobs without moving the pressure washer. Coiling them back up is a ballache though. Is it worth mounting a reel on the washer? Obviously it’s going to add to the weight I have to lift into the van unless I sort some sort of quick disconnect bracket. Currently I store them coiled in the buffer tank which is really handy but unrolling and rolling back is a bore.
I fitted a reel on my wheelbarrow PW and best thing I did. It stays in van with 50 or 60 metre of HP hose on it. Means you need to leave side door open a bit when working with it so I move powertools into cab area. I think the reel was £500 from Rutland Pumps but never missed a beat and you get it back with time saved on every job.

I fitted a reel on my wheelbarrow PW and best thing I did. It stays in van with 50 or 60 metre of HP hose on it. Means you need to leave side door open a bit when working with it so I move powertools into cab area. I think the reel was £500 from Rutland Pumps but never missed a beat and you get it back with time saved on every job.

Probably a bit spendy for my needs and I need to take it on and off van for each job as it’s not my main business.

I was looking at ones on eBay. Thought I could fashion some sort of quick release mount so I’m not having to lift the weight of the washer AND hoses into the van. Maybe just have the 20m on it and keep the 10m in the barrel.

When you have them permanently mounted are the fittings at the washer end quick release also or am I going to be unscrewing it and having to PTFE the threads each time? In which case it’s not going to save me any time.

Probably a bit spendy for my needs and I need to take it on and off van for each job as it’s not my main business.

I was looking at ones on eBay. Thought I could fashion some sort of quick release mount so I’m not having to lift the weight of the washer AND hoses into the van. Maybe just have the 20m on it and keep the 10m in the barrel.

When you have them permanently mounted are the fittings at the washer end quick release also or am I going to be unscrewing it and having to PTFE the threads each time? In which case it’s not going to save me any time.
One thing I realised is you can't get a cheap reel because they usually fall to bits. The hose is heavy and robust so you need a well made reel which don't come cheap. Think my setup is 120kgs so I wait till I have three PW jobs. Then I wheel it in on the ramps and off again after the day is over and back in the garage. I'm doing less of them but its handy to have because I have some commercial customers who need it done and willing to pay good money for it.

One thing I realised is you can't get a cheap reel because they usually fall to bits. The hose is heavy and robust so you need a well made reel which don't come cheap. Think my setup is 120kgs so I wait till I have three PW jobs. Then I wheel it in on the ramps and off again after the day is over and back in the garage. I'm doing less of them but its handy to have because I have some commercial customers who need it done and willing to pay good money for it.
Many thanks. Funnily enough I did consider a couple of ramps. Should probably get some anyway. Lifting a 150ltr cement mixer in and out of a transit on your own loses it appeal quite rapidly.

Many thanks. Funnily enough I did consider a couple of ramps. Should probably get some anyway. Lifting a 150ltr cement mixer in and out of a transit on your own loses it appeal quite rapidly.

I bought a couple of these motorbike ramps many years ago when they were cheap as chips. Ended up strengthening them with small self tapping screws to hold the sheet aluminium in place. Must be 4 years old now and because they fold, easy to store, wouldn't be without them now. ?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For what it's worth, and I may well be wrong about this, but I was under the impression that the full length of hose should be unwound before starting the machine?
I'm only basing this on info I've seen in different instruction manuals.

For what it's worth, and I may well be wrong about this, but I was under the impression that the full length of hose should be unwound before starting the machine?
No fire engine does it. We operate the power take off and then reel hose out, other side stays rolled in.

Unless you’re using vast vast lengths I wouldn’t have thought it made a noticeable difference as the bore isn’t being kinked or restricted in any substantial way.

Fairplay to both above comments and Fire Brigade obviously know what they're doing. I've never understood the thinking behind it which is why I mentioned it.
I've read these instructions in manuals but there's never been an explanation for it.

Fairplay to both above comments and Fire Brigade obviously know what they're doing. I've never understood the thinking behind it which is why I mentioned it.
I've read these instructions in manuals but there's never been an explanation for it.
I understand this is the case with electric reel extensions which few people totally reel out, maybe to do with heat build up.

Electrical extension cables should never be used when coiled up. It's to do with the eddy currents effectively turning itself into a heater and potentially causing a fire without blowing a fuse!

Electrical extension cables should never be used when coiled up. It's to do with the eddy currents effectively turning itself into a heater and potentially causing a fire without blowing a fuse!
And if you’re not convinced try running a fan heater for a couple of minutes with one wound up and then see how hot the cable is! Frightening.

Back