Refining your round

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Matty H, Apr 7, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Matty H

Matty H Forum Addict

I have got to the stage of refining my round - ie dropping bad payers or perhaps 1 or 2 in a street that's a bit out of my way. Also some early jobs I priced up too cheap so told them its going up - if they don't accept then bye bye. I must admit at the start I would take anything because you have to, but now I'm making it work for me by not driving more than perhaps 15 miles total in one day and bringing in nice money. The thing is do I take it to the next level? Advice please lads?

Advertisement
  2. Paul

Paul Guest

Sorry no advice here but must be nice to be at that point in your business life, I'm looking forward to getting there.
    How long has it taken you to get to that point Matty

3. Matty H

Matty H Forum Addict

Just 2 years mate - I have around 450 custys and quite a bit of commercial work - fortunately I started at a time when 5 new estates were being built. I have around 80 on one estate alone of about 160 houses - so I clean 50% of them - I do the lot in 3 days lol

Just keep plugging away mate - as a repeat business industry window cleaning must be one of the best :)

4. bluemonkey

bluemonkey Guru

dump **** and jobs you dont want, then knock like hell in the areas you want to work and have work, jusetter jobs and fill up with better jobs and less traveling, there is no need to get to nexty level it isnt worth the hassle

5. Matty H

Matty H Forum Addict

Yeah increase the amount of jobs in one area - less travelling = more windows cleaned = more money :)

6. Paul

Paul Guest

Why's it not worth the hassle bm?

7. bluemonkey

bluemonkey Guru

next level, can mean a few things

employing, this business seems to attracted muppets who claim they can clean, or you train them up and they still mess up when you are not there,

commercial getting paid etc, i have been impersnatedon jobs, had a van pinched, even had people i subbed jobs to contact the companys trying to get the contracts, i even took one company to court to ccj them as they wouldnt pay me, so glad to be out of that side of the business

8. Masons

Masons Guru

Nice, glad you got to that level, I'm still on my way there.
    I wanna £100 day 20days of the month then see where I am at, it's all part of a big plan but stages help don't they. lol[hr]
    I do have to advise you on maybe one thing.
    Once you have refined your round, and dropped the customers who don't want a price increase or who aren't paying a good profit after expenses (like your far out customers), then maybe you should pick up more work to fill the time you have spare, then you have extra income. and the grand thing about those jobs is you can maybe charge more as they are surplus to your business requirements...

9. Matty H

Matty H Forum Addict

The problem is the time mate - I don't have any spare lol

10. laddergarder

I don't really think you need any advice mate, you could employ someone, and as previously said, it could be more hassle, or on the other hand, it could be a huge asset. For instance, if you do have someone working for you, you can flex them up to catch up, rather than it all being left to you, and if you ever take ill, there is someone else there making money for you when you can't.

But in the end it really all depends on you, and what you want going forward. Personally I employ two people, plus I am just about to start a carpet cleaning business as well. My advice would be, if you want to employ someone, get yourself to the point when your working six days, plus a Sunday on a really bad week, employee someone part time for a bit, working three days a week, then cut your own hours back to just working during the week. Then you can flex that lad/gal up two days if you have a bad week. Then when things start getting busy again, bump up his/her contract.

Advertisement