Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Removing BBQ grease from windows

Marko067

Had a customer on Tuesday who’s kitchen window was covered in bbq grease.  I usually use NoNonsense degreaser for stubborn jobs with good effect but it would not touch this. I even did it trad with neat No Nonsense on the applicator and it still wouldn’t budge. Oddly I didn’t have much of an issue with it last summer as most of my customers kept their bbqs away from their windows.

What’s the best stuff for getting this mess off glass? How do we all handle this when we come across it?

Had a customer on Tuesday who’s kitchen window was covered in bbq grease.  I usually use NoNonsense degreaser for stubborn jobs with good effect but it would not touch this. I even did it trad with neat No Nonsense on the applicator and it still wouldn’t budge. Oddly I didn’t have much of an issue with it last summer as most of my customers kept their bbqs away from their windows.

What’s the best stuff for getting this mess off glass? How do we all handle this when we come across it?
Only just watched an ae Mackintosh video. He uses Titan Green , for the reason you need .

Hot water and a scraper if heavy grease and damp micro fiber and a magic eraser to get any left over residue. 

I've got 3 customer that BBQ year round ?

0000 steel wool, see picture, don't buy the stove glass cleaner ones,  can be a great tool for problems, sometimes use pvc solvent cleaner with it.

I've said to customers about the problem, they might move it away from window, just tell them they are making a mess of their own window, good incentive for them to move it.

20210415_104233.jpg

Tell them to use the BBQ next time 

20210415_111318.jpg

If There's barbecue grease on the window I just carry on with wfp as normal but very lightly. I don't want it on my brush. Never had a problem with it on my brush up to now and never been challenged for not removing it from the windows. If I ever get challenged my answer will be I don't want to get it on my brush and spread it to other windows, their's or the next customers. Ie, I treat bbq grease the same as I treat builders cleans. I don't get involved,  trad or otherwise. The eejit who put it on there can ruddy well get it off.

Sorry, getting hungry and grumpy. Not long home after doing two big empties and soapwashes. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Only had it once but just trad but had to scrub hard and used a white gardiner scraper pad. 

I had one a few weeks back, she always uses it and its right infront of the kitchen windows. Went back to the van to get no nonsense but id left it at home so the only thing i had was a spray gun of viakal which i use for water marks when kids have had the hose out. Thought may as well give it a whirl, sprayed it onto glass rubbed a few times with my applicator then rinsed off with wfp came up a treat. Might of been a one off but i will definately try it again on next one i come across.

For heavy duty splatters I'll use a scraper with dishwashing liquid and re wash the windows a couple of times.

If it's not so heavy then I can usually get away with scrubbing with wet 0000 steel wool and dishwashing liquid, repeat a couple of times then final wash as normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back