Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Removing dried egg from window?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hey all

New customer I signed up today has a high-up window that's been victim to egging by some yobs. Managed to clean all the windows apart from this one, there's a spot right in the middle of the window that won't shift. Have tried everything I have to hand as a newbie (but as I'm trad and this is a bit beyond the reach of my current ladder, can't get enough "oomph" from my extension pole). 0000 steel wool is as abrasive as I dare go for the sake of the glass.

It's been there for almost a couple of months apparently so not sure if it's even possible at this point? Spent 30 mins on this one window alone, which if I was more established would have been something I'd factor into pricing but currently I'm not charging extra for first cleans in order to attract more customers.

Won't let this beat me though, have said I'll pop back in the next couple of days once I've worked out how to tackle it.

Solution
Just an update on this
Wasn't that bad, only egg on the lower window sill and on the walls so bought some bio-washing powder made up a bucket with water dipped an old brush in and liberally applied it to the window sill and walls. totally came off the window sill, the walls were a bit more stubborn as its that horrible Stoney/chalky render, i got most of it off and he was happy. And now have lots of bio-washing powder spare :D
To remove egg use bio washing powder made into a paste with water
The enzymes will break it down if left for a while
Egg is basically long proteins which need to be denatured to break down which can be done with alcohol or bio washing powder but has to be fresh for alcohol to work

That is spot-on. That's exactly what I'd do. It doesn't have to look pretty, and actually could look a bit chavy but I've stuck a plastic scraper on the end of an extension pole, wrapped it round with duct tape and scraped mortar stains off brickwork for really difficult to reach areas during a building clean.
As long as it gets the job done safely.
Just be sure to wet the glass first and you could try these kind of things from Wilkinsons

Morning all
I had a call from a customer that was egged on Halloween night!:poop: If it were a new customer I probably wouldn't try and help but he's one of my first so I want to help

Is Bio washing powder still the solution? I do have Screwfix degreaser but guessing that won't cut it I, only have cold water. he said a few have been done including 2nd storey windows So getting the solution up there might be a challenge unless I can put it directly on the brush!

Hi,

For egg this is what I do. I first wet the egg so that it can soke in.

Next I user a scrapper for anything that's on glass downstairs, meanwhile I will wet and gently scrub the upstairs occasionally if the downstairs is taking a while.

Then I get pink stuff and put some on the brush and then clean the upstairs with it.

I Find that this sorts it out 99% of the time

Morning all
I had a call from a customer that was egged on Halloween night!:poop: If it were a new customer I probably wouldn't try and help but he's one of my first so I want to help

Is Bio washing powder still the solution? I do have Screwfix degreaser but guessing that won't cut it I, only have cold water. he said a few have been done including 2nd storey windows So getting the solution up there might be a challenge unless I can put it directly on the brush!
Hopefully it will still be relatively soft I would scrape the worst off then just a bit of washing up liquid scrub and rinse should be fine

Morning all

Yes. I bought some bio washing gel from the Cost Cutter we clean. Liberally applied it to window above the conservatory with my brush. Let it dwell. Cleaned the rest of the property. Then scrubbed that egged window with a stiff brush. It took a bit of time.
Purely by chance my customer caught the youngster from the house behind doing it again on video. Confronted mother with video evidence. Not happened again since.

Just an update on this
Wasn't that bad, only egg on the lower window sill and on the walls so bought some bio-washing powder made up a bucket with water dipped an old brush in and liberally applied it to the window sill and walls. totally came off the window sill, the walls were a bit more stubborn as its that horrible Stoney/chalky render, i got most of it off and he was happy. And now have lots of bio-washing powder spare :D

Solution

Latest Posts

Back