Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

anyone got 1.3 diesel astra

beaver0_15

just wondering if the 1.3 diesel astra vans are any good, ie reliability, iv heard they are a bit flat on hills n with a bit of weight in but im not particularly bothered about that its more the economy im after, i used to have one of the older shape 1.7 which are brilliant on fuel but it seemed the fuel pump went on every single one ever made which was about a grand to fix.

Is there any common problems on these 1.3s?

A few years ago i was looking at a 1.3 diesel fiat doblo mpv (same engine), as a motability car for my wife, but after telling him we did mainly short trips, the salesman advised against it, saying they are prone to clogging up their particulate filters.

But aside from that, in the real world, a small diesel engine is not neccessarily going to be more economical than a larger one as you will be working it harder. This will be especially so if carrying a heavier load (like a tank of water!). The thing to do would be go for a test drive in one and see what you think, if at all possible, with some weight in the back. But, if you were happy with your old van and found the economy of the 1.7 more than acceptable, then i would recommend getting another the same!.

The 1.3 are Swear word!. U need to strangle the engine to make it move. Which in turn makes you fuel consumption poor.

You are better off getting the 1.7.

They have better torque to help with the hills and weight.

yer i was happy with the mpg on the 1.7 and its seems there is not alot in it between the newer shape 1.7 and 1.3 only 2 mpg i think, im more worried about whether they are prone to any problems as like i said the fuel pump on the older one is utter rubbish, me and 2 of my mates had them and the pump went on all 3 of them, wouldnt be so bad if it wa a couple hundred to fix but it wa knocking on a grand. so really ill be happy to go with either 1.3 or 1.7 as long as they dont have any big issues like the old ones did

I think mosts vans now 55plate + will be ok as long as you got a good service history with them

iv been looking at combos myself so 1.3 and 1.7 come in these so i am undecided as well lol

but i'll go for the bigger engine myself as a prefrance shame really as theres a few nice 1.3s arund by me atm :[

I wouldnt advise buying a transit on 56 onwards.

Iv a 57 n it runs like a demented dog.

I got rid of an astra on a 04 1.7 cdti.

Never had a problem with it.

Always fancyed a new shape but not big enuf.

Good luck with the van u pick.

Id go for 1.7 cdti. N if its low milage n still in warrenty uv nothing to worry about.

yer think ill go for the 1.7 altough i liked the idea of cheap tax on 1.3:) cant quite afford one still in warranty, can about get a 57 or 08 maybe n yes i always go for low miles n its seeming quite a challenge, (im after an estate rather than van so i can use as car aswell) i havent seen one wi less than 90 thousand on clock

My 1.7 cdti was only £75 for six months.

Estates are gud but my worry was people seein my gear.

Plus if you want the seat you can do a rear seat conversion to the van n then uv got best of both worlds

Plus if you want the seat you can do a rear seat conversion to the van n then uv got best of both worlds
i would do that but need rear seats for kiddies so i would also need a rear door conversion and that is just starting to get silly lol iv considered my options and it has to be an estate /emoticons/smile.png id rather have a van

i would do that but need rear seats for kiddies so i would also need a rear door conversion and that is just starting to get silly lol iv considered my options and it has to be an estate /emoticons/smile.png id rather have a van
i was actually thinking i could put a plastic film over all rear windows that match colour of the car, but the misses doesnt like that idea

Back