Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Render clean advice please . Pics included.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Nozzzaa

Hi,

I've been asked by some one to clean the render on this house. It isn't that bad just had streaks in a lot of places and a few black spots by drain downpipes and gas outlets etc.

I have no idea what to charge for it or the best chemical to use . I see on YouTube alot of people use pureseals hypo. Would that be ok ?.

Is it ok if it stays on there then you wash it off afterwards. Then biocide it. I'm worried as it's hot weather if it dries it might damage it or will it be ok.

Thanks ahead .

Attachments

• 20240530_185549.jpg
    20240530_185549.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240530_185528.jpg
    20240530_185528.jpg
    719.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240530_185516.jpg
    20240530_185516.jpg
    726.4 KB · Views: 0
Hi,

I've been asked by some one to clean the render on this house. It isn't that bad just had streaks in a lot of places and a few black spots by drain downpipes and gas outlets etc.

I have no idea what to charge for it or the best chemical to use . I see on YouTube alot of people use pureseals hypo. Would that be ok ?.

Is it ok if it stays on there then you wash it off afterwards. Then biocide it. I'm worried as it's hot weather if it dries it might damage it or will it be ok.

Thanks ahead .
If you have no experience doing this type of work best to get professional training first or you could end up causing no end of damage to the customers house , the garden/environment and yourself. There is a lot more to it than just splashing hypo on a building

Hi,

Thanks ahead .
If you have no experience I suggest you walk away
Hypo isn't some magic chemical that you just splish splash around and hey presto

Highly dangerous & toxic to untrained uninsured professionals

Who said I was uninsured ? Jeez what a friendly website.
We're a lovely group of people who have been in this trade for years and strive to give the best, safest & transparent advice

We also spend a huge degree of our time answering the same questions on a regular occurrence when all of the relevant answers and valued information is only a search away.

I apologise if you feel offended but you need in depth training for the use and application of trade specific chemicals and treatments.

We have to protect the integrity of the forum and also separate ourselves from liability because none of us are receiving a fee for the information we bring to the table

The best way to learn of via training & research

Note: if you use chemicals and you cause injury, damage to an eco system or habitat whatever ever insurance policy you hold will be null and void as training, accreditation & knowledge would of prevented any mishaps so technically you'll be uninsured and in a spot of bother

We're a lovely group of people who have been in this trade for years and strive to give the best, safest & transparent advice

We also spend a huge degree of our time answering the same questions on a regular occurrence when all of the relevant answers and valued information is only a search away.

I apologise if you feel offended but you need in depth training for the use and application of trade specific chemicals and treatments.

We have to protect the integrity of the forum and also separate ourselves from liability because none of us are receiving a fee for the information we bring to the table

The best way to learn of via training & research

Note: if you use chemicals and you cause injury, damage to an eco system or habitat whatever ever insurance policy you hold will be null and void as training, accreditation & knowledge would of prevented any mishaps so technically you'll be uninsured and in a spot of bother
Your a forum full of exterior cleaners not my business partners. You have 0 liability with me.

You do not NEED in-depth training nor is it law that you undertake any.

You do however need to carry out coshh assesment to manage and assess the risks.

However seeing as you know nothing about me you jumped to conclusions thinking I don't know how to abide by health and safety regulations. I do roof cleaning and other types and I've worked in companies that use chemicals and adhere to all rules. Not that it's any of your business and or what I came here to ask. I didn't come here to ask if you can jump to an idea that I'm splish splashing random chemicals together and everywhere to damage myself the environment or anyone's property.

I thought that's what this place was for. Advice!.

But thanks for taking the time out to waste my time.

Your a forum full of exterior cleaners not my business partners. You have 0 liability with me.

You do however need to carry out coshh assesment to manage and assess the risks.

However seeing as you know nothing about me you jumped to conclusions thinking I don't know how to abide by health and safety regulations. I do roof cleaning and other types and I've worked in companies that use chemicals and adhere to all rules. Not that it's any of your business and or what I came here to ask. I didn't come here to ask if you can jump to an idea that I'm splish splashing random chemicals together and everywhere to damage myself the environment or anyone's property.

Sorry to disagree but you do need in-depth knowledge of how to use the chemicals safely both with the mixes used and application , from your original post it’s quite clear you don’t know what to charge or what chemical to use and do you leave it on the building or wash it off your words not mine , so it’s crystal clear you don’t know how to do the job , that’s why we have suggested getting training for your safety and that of everyone else

Sorry to disagree but you do need in-depth knowledge of how to use the chemicals safely both with the mixes used and application , from your original post it’s quite clear you don’t know what to charge or what chemical to use and do you leave it on the building or wash it off your words not mine , so it’s crystal clear you don’t know how to do the job , that’s why we have suggested getting training for your safety and that of everyone else
Yeh I agree,

I guess I meant it's not a law to have been trained on it.

However not knowing what to charge for the job is understandable for me. Hence I came to people who know.

With ref to the "wash it off" , if you carried on reading what I meant was once you are up to the point of where you are applying the hypo. I asked as it's hot in the UK is it ok for it to dry on or should I keep wetting it. That alone if you read it should tell you I'm not someone that knows absolutely 0 about the job.

People just have to jump on the bandwagon

I mean. What on earth is the point of being on an advice forum if you don't want to give advice on what they are asking.

Not one person has answered my question apart from your advice of patch testing(thanks btw) ,and I've just been told don't do the job and go get training. This section should just say above it... Please don't comment unless you are fully trained.

Yeh I agree,

However not knowing what to charge for the job is understandable for me. Hence I came to people who know.

With ref to the "wash it off" , if you carried on reading what I meant was once you are up to the point of where you are applying the hypo. I asked as it's hot in the UK is it ok for it to dry on or should I keep wetting it. That alone if you read it should tell you I'm not someone that knows absolutely 0 about the job.

I mean. What on earth is the point of being on an advice forum if you don't want to give advice on what they are asking.

Not one person has answered my question apart from your advice of patch testing(thanks btw) ,and I've just been told don't do the job and go get training. This section should just say above it... Please don't comment unless you are fully trained.
It wasn’t me that suggested doing a patch , but unfortunately we live in a world that has the I will sue you culture the only way to protect yourself is to have training and get qualifications to prove you know what you are doing , I watched a lot of YouTube videos on softwashing and only after going on courses did I realise that a lot of what I watched was down right dangerous but it was only after the training I realised this , the old expression a little knowledge is dangerously is true , I used to give a lot of advice on this subject on here and I don’t profess to be any kind of expert there are many on here with far more chemistry expertise than me and several said I shouldn’t be telling ones how to do this as the potential for causing harm is high , I didn’t Initially agree with what ones said to me , but after some thought did have to agree as many wouldn’t have a clue about PPE , insurance,or how to use hypo etc safely and what strength mix to use etc . If we give advice about window cleaning the worst someone can do is scratch a window , hypo can cause a lot of damage if not use right .

🤣

You all started some where. Why can't you just give some advice. There's plenty of work to go around.
I paid something like £3k, including expenses, for my son and I to go on a course. I quickly.learned there's a lot more to the job than I first thought.
The irony is I found that we can earn more money, with a lot less risk, to clean windows and vac gutters.
One of the main reasons for this is, in my area, there are loads of people just chucking a load of hypo on with little or no regard to the damage this can do, and doing it for little more than I call beer money.
We have done one big job, with a licensed product, and with on site advice from a fellow member on here. We paid him well, or we think we did, we didn't come on here and expect to be told what to charge, what chemicals to use and how to do the job free of charge.
So yes we started somewhere, but it cost us money to learn first.

Last edited:
Yeh I agree,

Not one person has answered my question apart from your advice of patch testing( thanks btw) ,and I've just been told don't do the job and go get training. This section should just say above it... Please don't comment unless you are fully trained.
I paid something like £3k, including expenses, for my son and I to go on a course. I quickly.learned there's a lot more to the job than I first thought.
The irony is I found that we can earn more money, with a lot less risk, to clean windows and vac gutters.
One of the main reasons for this is, in my area, there are loads of people just chucking a load of hypo on with little or no regard to the damage this can do, and doing it for little more than I call beer money.
We have done one big job, with a licensed product, and with on sit advice from a fellow member on here. We paid him well, or we think we did, we didn't come on here and expect to be told what to charge, what chemicals to use and how to do the job free of charge.
So yes we started somewhere, but it cost us money to learn first.

Yeh I agree,

If you have no idea what you're doing, which seems you don't, go out and learn the job before you start charging. When I first started soft washing I wouldn't charge for jobs and would do people I knew and getting the advice from people off here before I started charging any sort of money.

Many use Hypo diluted down and we add surfactant to it as well, but it's really not a one fits all mix as some are tougher than others. As for charging that's down to you and your costs, and again once you've got some experience you'll know roughly how much you are using and how much it costs and a rough time scale.

would they be happy paying you x for a job you literally have no idea what you're doing?

@Nozzzaa I wouldn't know where to start with this mate. Nobody means any malice on here, just genuine advice. The last thing you need is you go to the time and effort to help the customer and it doesn't work out properly. I think it doesn't help that you can see so much on YouTube etc nowadays that it makes jobs look more straightforward than they actually are. The photos don't show up on my phone very well but there's quite a lot of shadowy patches of the render. I seem to see this more and more nowadays with newer houses where there's either big black patches or long red algae stripes on the render. I have a customer who got fed up with the marks so he basically gave it a gentle clean down and repainted it (I understand that's not what you asked, but it's the only one I've seen that actually looked considerably better). Is there anyone local to you that you could ask like a cleaning supplies company or are you friendly with anyone that does external cleans full time and they could point you in the right direction? That might be the best place to start. Hope it works out for you.

Valid points have been made on both sides but I'm not going to comment on any of them.
R.E. best chemicals to use, yes it's true many of us use hypo and another hypo based alternative is Lightning Cleanze which has been discussed at length and frequently in the past.
If you are using hypo I wouldn't buy a branded 1 because you'll just pay more for something you can get elsewhere.
However, I haven't studied the pics but at a glance most of it looks ok and you could very likely get away with using a soapy solution of a good, heavy duty degreaser / multi purpose cleaner such as Virosol, UBIK, No Nonsense Degreaser etc etc.

A safer and pretty effective alternative to spraying hypo is to use something like Tornado Cleanze gel which can be brushed or rolled on, i.e. stick a paint roller on the end of an extension pole, roll it over algae streaks / lichen, leave to dwell then rinse. I've used it before where run-off has been an issue and it does the job, It is still hypo baed but avoids spraying it.
R.E. hot weather - it is always best practice on warm sunny days (or whatever the weather) to dampen down surfaces before applying any chemicals / cleaning products. After applying dampen again to stop them drying out then rinse thoroughly. You don't want any chems drying out too quickly and pre-wetting is best practice.
As for cost to quote it really is down to you, your location, whether you want the work and the experience etc. I tend to take what most people say on the subject with a pinch of salt, but personally if that was 1 of my first render cleans and I wanted some experience I'd still expect at least a few hundred PLUS the cost of whatever chems and biocide I was going to use.
I mean, thar's 3 sides of a house there so is going to cost a few quid anywhere. Don't overdo it but don't sell yourself short.
Like all things pricing gets easier with practce

On the side elevation what would you use to clean the staining from the reaction of weather on the metal vent?
Not hypo as it would react and not remove it
So would also need oxalic acid and know how to use that
Another expense to be considered in the price
But you don’t need any sort of training to be a chlorine cowboy
That is the difference between that and doing a proper job

Back