Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

When life deals you lemons....

TolishAPurd

....make something thats got lemons in it!

Due to the weather I decided I was just going to do a quick local one off, and then spend the day dropping leaflets.

So I dropped a load of leaflets and did a bit of canvassing....

(All cleaned on the spot).

1x one off

3x new monthly residential customers

4x 3monthly industrial businesses in a row

1x monthly shop

1x :ninja: shop. Same ol same old... agree to a monthly and then when finished say "we'll call you". No surprises there.:rolleyes: Never mind, I made sure I did well out of it anyway.

All in all not a bad innings for a rainy day.:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
My day was slightly different to yours.

I started my day ok, I wasn't too fussed by the rain so I cracked on with the day. About halfway through today's round, my pole head snapped on me. I don't have a replacement and the pole was naff anyway so I had no choice but to order a new one.

I was looking to order a new one soon but not this soon. It was quite funny actually as I was just telling a customer 20 minutes before this happened that I really like this pole.

Sod's law!

Anyway, looking forward to receiving my new toy soon and getting back out there to finish today's round.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You got me wanting a Marscapone and Lemon Cheesecake now you bas**rd!!
Had one of those 2 days back, an Aldi one- very nice. Fear not though, I'm sure M&S and Waitrose have equivilent ones though Green for a man of your means.

My day was slightly different to yours.
I started my day ok, I wasn't too fussed by the rain so I cracked on with the day. About halfway through today's round, my pole head snapped on me. I don't have a replacement and the pole was naff anyway so I had no choice but to order a new one.

I was looking to order a new one soon but not this soon. It was quite funny actually as I was just telling a customer 20 minutes before this happened that I really like this pole.

Sod's law!

Anyway, looking forward to receiving my new toy soon and getting back out there to finish today's round.

Sorry to hear that mate. In another thread I was mentioning the shortcomings of both trad and WFP, and unfortunatly equipment breakdown seems to be one of WFPs downfalls since there is a thread about it just about every week. Hope you're back on the run soon though fella. I created this thread to show that there is always something we can do to further our business, no matter what the day throws at us.

Thanks mate. Your thread was actually quite encouraging to know that even in poor weather, you're able to find more work and turn a negative into a positive. I'm enjoying this forum. I check it everyday for new ideas and just seeing how everybody else gets on with WFPS.

I'm sure M&S and Waitrose have equivilent ones though Green for a man of your means.
Wow, what an impression I must have given! I actually get mine from Iceland and am not happy that they are up from £2.49 to £2.99 this week!

Your thread was actually quite encouraging to know that even in poor weather, you're able to find more work
Calum the only people that don't find work in the winter months are those that are too lazy to go look for it. Would rather sit next to the radiator with their coco.

Yes it's tougher going in wither but the work you find here is the work that will stay with you as they realise their windows are just as dirty in the winter as they are in the summers.

People are thinking that I'm weird because I keep saying to them that I'm actually looking forward to the winter (as its my first window cleaning). I just want to see what the worst of window cleaning is like.

Besides, I'm fully prepared now, because I ordered some decent gloves along with my new pole haha.

Although there is one thing. I'm worried about my equipment freezing over, and I have found a lot saying to put an oil heater in the van overnight to keep it from freezing. But as I'm living at the in-laws temporarily, I don't think they're overly keen on that idea because of the electricity bill. Do you have any other economical suggestions? I have also thought about insulating the van to an extent.

People are thinking that I'm weird because I keep saying to them that I'm actually looking forward to the winter (as its my first window cleaning). I just want to see what the worst of window cleaning is like.
Besides, I'm fully prepared now, because I ordered some decent gloves along with my new pole haha.

Although there is one thing. I'm worried about my equipment freezing over, and I have found a lot saying to put an oil heater in the van overnight to keep it from freezing. But as I'm living at the in-laws temporarily, I don't think they're overly keen on that idea because of the electricity bill. Do you have any other economical suggestions? I have also thought about insulating the van to an extent.

Winter sorts the men out from the boys mate, and I love it. Get a good flask so you've got a hot drink on tap,good gloves, a body warmer, and a beanie, and you're all set. While all the fair weather windys are giving up, you can snap up a load of new customers just in time for christmas. But I swear the best part about it is the first sunny day you get in spring where you realise you have made it through a mile of putrid sh*t, and made it out to the other side.

the-shawshank-redemption-accounted-for-a-huge-amount-of-cable-air-time-in-2013.jpg

Not many people know my early years, and I wont elaborate here but I did work in one of the harshest environments on the planet as a young lad starting out.

My hands were what suffered, and the old boys showed me how to deal with it.

There was a bucket of water outside, every morning frozen over, we would break the ice up so it was all slushy then stick your hands in for as long as you could handle.

Something to do with the blood flow changing to compensate, dry them off and then your fine all day.

If I ever see a winter harsh enough here I will use the same method again. But if I am at that stage there will be no point working as it will freeze as it hits the windows.

That is a brilliant answer. Thank you Tolish! lol. But seriously, any advances on the heating in the van, that would be great!

I can sense another lee burbridge vid coming on; 'Arctic Window Cleaners'. Loads of overly dramatic music and windys dressed as eskimos.

Ah brilliant. Would you have a rough idea of how much isopropyl to water? I have a 500L (approx) tank
About 500ml per tank should do it.

go on,elaborate some please
No.

I can sense another lee burbridge vid coming on
I don't have enough will to attempt to live through another of his 2hr 37min 'I MADE THIS' introductions for 3 mins of actual film time.

About 500ml per tank should do it.

No.

I don't have enough will to attempt to live through another of his 2hr 37min 'I MADE THIS' introductions for 3 mins of actual film time.
falklands?

Calum, if you get an oil filled rad, you can put a timer on it (get a decent one). It only needs to come on for 10 mins every couple of hours, wont cost much at all on the leccy

Winter sorts the men out from the boys mate, and I love it. Get a good flask so you've got a hot drink on tap,good gloves, a body warmer, and a beanie, and you're all set. While all the fair weather windys are giving up, you can snap up a load of new customers just in time for christmas. But I swear the best part about it is the first sunny day you get in spring where you realise you have made it through a mile of putrid sh*t, and made it out to the other side.
the-shawshank-redemption-accounted-for-a-huge-amount-of-cable-air-time-in-2013.jpg
I wear the same in winter as summer, a T shirt. Nope, not joking.

Back