Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Commercial Job Quote Advice

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Cleanz

I have a few commercial jobs, but they are just quick outside clean - leave a receipt and someone pays me out the petty cash. The biggest one I have is technically commercial but is a family home where the person works from home, so I have no experience of cleaning office buildings etc.

Got a quote today for a reasonable sized 2 storey building. I was shown around and was trying to tally it up in my head whilst being walked around by presumably the HR woman.

They want a 3 monthly outside clean and a 6 monthly inside clean.

I don't normally do 3 monthly but In my head I tallied up outside to be roughly 2 hours on a first clean so as they are commercial I thought £120-£140? Inside is going to be more awkward because there is a large section of glass that spans the two floor at the front and inside is seperated by the two floors themselves (if that makes sense) so is going to be more tricky, along with fire doors and 3 seperate partitioned areas inside which have floor to ceiling glass which I think I'll do with a step ladder? (they want both sides doing) of what I can get to, as there is some desks in the way etc.

The inside I think realistically is going to take a day or most of it, not sure how to go about pricing it? I was thinking of doubling my outside quote and then adding in £40 or similar per partitioned area and then a few quid for the fire doors. I know you guys can't know exactly what to quote but just need an idea about how you would do it. Cleaning it is another conundrum, they have around 120 employees at desks, in meetings and milling around - I don't fancy cleaning inside windows with people about for the time and general annoyance. So would you try and arrange the inside clean in out of office hours? And if so charge more?

Also, she was rabbiting on about a contract... I'm not sure if I'm happy about that or not.

Sorry lot to digest I know, want the job but with minimal hassle! /emoticons/smile.png

What happens if the computer says NO in office hours? at least out of hours you can take photocopies of your bum:D

Do they want it cleaned on a specific day and specific time? If so, dump!
They haven't said, so far I just went along to have a look at it but didn't get the chance to discuss things. The woman I was dealing with said she was relatively new, when I asked her if she knew about any previous window cleaners she said there was one but they had an argument with the boss and left. Said she didn't know why as she had only just started there... instinct says do a runner but the £ signs are blinding me lol /emoticons/smile.png

Think I need to just lay it down in my terms in the email I send and if they can't do it/don't like the price then a runner it is!

why has the window cleaner had fall out with boss, you never loose your top jobs something dos,int add up.

do it sunday morning when the plc is closed.

nice earner for your weekend

price it high. the boss will know what the going rate is so you want to be above that . he will come back at you with the original guys price as a bargaining tool so you dont want to be lower than that.

i personally price the inside exact same as the outs, this throws them because they are expecting something higher than what you offer for insides. but you must make sure your outside price is high enough ,for you to carry this off .

Thanks guys. Yep I think Sunday for the insides once every six months isn't going to kill me, just hope they agree - I'll put it all in the quote, see what they come back with.

Whatever way I do it I will be pricing high /emoticons/smile.png

Forgot to ask, do I need anything else with a commercial job like this?

I mean I'm insured, do I need anything else health and safety wise? I can't see that I would if I'm doing it 'out of hours' inside...

Seriously what type of insurance do you have and who are you with?

And yes some may require to see a RAMS (Risk Assessment & Method Statement) too.

Lmao Smurf /emoticons/smile.png

I've got Public Liability Insurance with "Premium Credit Limited".

Thanks yeah I've heard of this Rams.... My previous Rams has involved saying to the customer "yep no problem that's safe, I can do that" (whilst holding back a very worried look) /emoticons/smile.png

I dont have a job like that one. But the person I bought my round off, he charged double for the insides of a couple of houses that only got done once a year, as having to move stuff all the time and put it back as well.

Main thing is that the windows are accessible, or ask them to arrange for desks, big potted plants? to be moved for you coming. Get the price right, so you can have a smile on your face,as your working, I like those jobs. ch ching, thank you very much, see you in 3months;)all the best

When I worked for a company I used to do a lot of these types of jobs and can tell you from experience they're A LOT easier to do out of hours when nobody's around. Working around desks etc while the office jockey's are on them is a nightmare.

I can't really help with price as I'm just in the early stages of going it alone but I will say that for the ins and out's my old boss would have probably sent 2 of us in for a day's work in the early hours of the morning paying us £80 per man, he would then have added the running costs of a Transit van and tag his profit on top, Although hard to say without seeing the building.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm, yes got caught out today on insides...normally only me and the head cleaner....but in walked a suit....yes ....the secret of my success is a great film...i normally go walkabout on the desks....naughty but faster...and i couldnt cause he was sat there grrrrr....and i normally sneak a second cuppa to take outside...but i couldnt cause he was there....

when i did my ..made up rams....i specified i would always put down a dust sheet before i started work...i did it once...its just a loada bull...in real life you run along the desks and get stuck in and dust off any foot prints afterwards..god they were all in early today and i was running late....:specs:specs:specs every where and i have to keep saying good morning its a lovely day...gonna get there a lot earlier next time..

I had one text me this week. It's a Swiss chalet style house with massive high windows (easy to do WFP) but insides would be more hassle than it's worth. So I said, sorry I don't do insides anymore as I'm too busy. Phew, that was a close call. Had another one text back tonight asking if I can skip the outside clean tomorrow and do inside and out next time :mad:. Outsides take 10 minutes and blading insides with all the fat off their Caribbean muck on the kitchen windows takes forever, grr.

yeh i hate it when they say can you do insides...some times you just have to do these things...i gotta do one tomorrow and he wants all the upvc washed down .....and he most likely will be in...hes on call. ....hes a pilot...lets hope they call him...if i was left alone i dont mind but someone in :specs not my style..

mind you had a biggish one today in the middle of nowhere ..i have left the cheque as we will be out....and she had...so quite happy and then a car pulls up...and then another...dont know who they were but it just goes to show you can not rely on what people say..it went okay though as they didnt know what time i had arrived../emoticons/smile.png

i have said i am not insured for insides a few times...:rolleyes: i had one who just wanted a few insides done whilst her husband wasnt there ...i did a runner..

is your avatar nev...just been watching it....

Speaking of scraper blades I placed an order with wintec last week for a few bits of kit and part of it was missed picked. I ordered and paid for 100 unger replacement scraper blades but got 10 instead. I sent an email on the 17th and just got the 100 today so now I have 110 not 100 as originally ordered. The funny part is I hardly ever use scrapers /emoticons/biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of scraper blades I placed an order with wintec last week for a few bits of kit and part of it was missed picked. I ordered and paid for 100 unger replacement scraper blades but got 10 instead. I sent an email on the 17th and just got the 100 today so now I have 110 not 100 as originally ordered. The funny part is I hardly ever use a scrapers /emoticons/biggrin.png
Want to buy any magic sponges? :rofl:

Back