Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Simply Clean - Newbie

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Adam1984

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, have been looking around for a while and finally decided to bite the bullet and give this ago. I have been working for a company for 10yrs and was put at risk of redundancy, so decided to take the money and attempt to set up a business. I have already purchased a Mercedes Vito van and just need the rest of the kit to get started.

Any recommendations on what setup to go for? Roughly £3k to spend on van mounted system, any saving is a bonus though!

I am looking for but not set on : 500L system that can be filled up and filtered in the van without having to store water in a separate location. How often would I need to fill this up?

I have been speaking to some people I already know who have recommended Gardiner poles which I have already priced up and will look at buying also.

What other kit will I need?

I have also started to design the flyers and business card which I will get printed on Vista Print. I am estimating that I would need around 300 customers a month paying around £10 each to earn a half decent wage. How much would I have to pay in tax? I am also estimating that I would need around 5000 flyers to get 300 customers?

I am going to aim for residential work but would consider commercial if the work came up at the right price.

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance and apologies for so many questions.

Cheers Adam

Adam I'd say you might need more like 60,000 flyers to get 300 regular monthly £10 jobs if flyering exclusively. Best to have Facebook, website, yell, shop ads, bribe the vicar to add you to his sermon. everything you can really

Get a 'sample' amount of a few k flyers first as there's bound to be something you want to change

If you do a lot yourself, I'd imagine you could could do the van mount part for 1k-1.5k

How long does 500L last? How long is a piece of string?

It is all dependent on how much you use per job, how long you take etc.

I have a 500L system and I get an average of 40-45 houses per 500L

As for taxes based on your calculation of 300 custies x £10 then you are looking at an approx tax bill of £5200 per year.

Call a local accountant and arrange an appointment as all will give you a free 30 minute consult to answer any questions for you.

Good luck and welcome

Welcome geezer

As for a van system you can find a few threads on here especially one by @jimmyboots to make one yourself

Then you are talking 100s rather than 1000s

Imo you'd be better off with a trolley at first and see if you get on with it and get the work before spending tons on gear

You can make a trolley for around 35-40 quid plus £30 for the sack trolley from argos

A lot cheaper way to test the water

Back