RO problems

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by heyoh, Apr 28, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. heyoh

heyoh Active Member

As mentioned before, I recently bought a 4021 RO, with sediment and carbon filter.
    This whole purification thing is starting to drive me crazy to be honest.
    First time I assembled the system, I got 015ppm coming out from pure. After producing maybe a 1000L it's reading 025 now..
    The pressure gauge shows 45-50psi before and 30psi after prefilters. After the first 1000 litres pressure dropped, so I had to change the sediment filter.
    Will I have to change the sediment filter every other week?! And what's going on with the tds? If it's going up with such rate, I will have to buy a new membrane sooner than I thought.

The other strange thing is, when I measure how much waste and pure is coming out, in 10 seconds it's something like 300ml (100ml pure to 200ml waste), in one minute that's only like 2 litres altogether? spruce you say your 4040 does 2 litres of pure in 1 minute!
    Something doesn't add up here.
    :(:swear:

Advertisement
  2. Jake

Jake Grand Master

Get a booster pump fitted just before the RO membrane, I reckon that will solve a lot!

Also what tds is the water out the Tap?

3. heyoh

heyoh Active Member

I really don't wanna spend another 200 for a pump :confused:
    My tap tds is around 300

4. spruce

spruce Grand Master

#4 spruce, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    My r/o is bigger than yours and my pure to waste ratio is 50/50 - liter pure to 1 liter waste. I also have a low pressure HF5 membrane. Restricting the waste will put more pressure on the membranes so you might find that that will help improve your tds.

I found that my sweet spot is at this ratio ( 1 /1). If I open the waste gate so my ratio changes to about 3 to 1, I found by tds of pure from the r/o increased. I played around with it for some time when I first bought it. I found that a higher waste ratio reduced the pressure on the prefilter out gauge (I have a gauge on both inlet and outlet).

I have an inline tds meter so it makes it easier to adjust the waste gate valve for best performance.

5. camcap

camcap Active Member

Spruce what pressure gauges you got and where from mate (sorry to hijack the post)

6. spruce

spruce Grand Master

#6 spruce, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015

I got them off Ebay - sorry can't remember who the supplier was. They are 1/2" bottom entry 0 - 100psi. They aren't glycerine filled. (We use to supply glycerine filler air pressure gauges for compressors where their was a lot of vibration.)

Correction. They are not 1/2" bottom or side mounted gauges - they are 1/4". I used 1/2" BSP male to 1/4" BSP female reducers. Sorry.

7. spruce

spruce Grand Master

Sorry Heyoh.

I forgot to mention that even with new prefilters I could see a difference in pressure between the prefilter inlet gauge and the prefilter outlet gauge when the waste gate valve was open too much. I guess it is because of the low water pressure at the tap.
    No harm in closing your waste valve a little more and check your tds readings - don't close it completely though.

8. heyoh

heyoh Active Member

Yes when I close the waste valve pressure goes up on the second gauge too.
    I'm just a little surprised that I had to change the sediment filter after such little use.

I read in some thread that some people drill a tiny hole in the waste valve? Is that good solution, what do you think?

About the booster pump - Let's say it gives me an increased production of 1.5L/min (it's ~0.6L/min atm), that would only give me 90L/hr, but because of the noise it would make I'm not sure if it's worth it, it would drive my neighbours nuts, it would have to run for 10 hours to fill my IBC.

9. spruce

spruce Grand Master

I've drilled a small hole in my gate valve but its not totally necessary. I still have the gate valve open slightly. It was a precaution as one of the lads could take it upon themselves to play around when I wasn't there.

Our sediment filter gets blocked quite quickly at certain times of the year for whatever reason. I've had to replace mine after a few days but they could have had a water main up and I got caught with the r/o running. (I switch everything off when I see the water board down the street doing repair work until I get a chance to run the cold tap into the bath to check for sediment.)

On average I change my sediment filter once a month and my Fiberdyne prefilter once every 3 months depending on water usage. I have 20" prefilters. We use about 10000 liters of pure a month. These last few months our water quality has been much better and I haven't had to change the sediment filter since the last prefilter changes.

The waste from the r/o goes down the drain next to our back door. I keep a watch on the waste water flow and if it starts to slow down a bit I know the sediment filter is getting a bit blocked. At this point I will close my waste gate valve ever so slightly just to get pressure back up into the system.

I've seen a sediment filter on another cleaner's r/o so blocked up that his r/o stopped working. The sediment filter was so slippery with sediment sludge that you couldn't pick it up. He told me he only changed it about 3 months previously. That could well have been the case.
    We live on Teesside and quite a number of other cleaners have complained about how quickly their sediment filter gets dirty.

The sediment filter will discolour quite quickly, but having an inlet and outlet pressure gauge on each side of the prefilters, I can quickly see how blocked the sediment filter is by the difference in readings. Closing the waste gate slightly will bring the outlet pressure back up on the second gauge. (I will only do this adjustment once.)

10. doug atkinson

doug atkinson Well-Known Member

Where did you purchase it from

Advertisement