Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Di Resin - Different Products

WCF

Help Support WCF:

dartmin

Evening - came across your site when searching for information and thought you might be able to help me /emoticons/smile.png

I am using a DI system for reducing a TDS of 280ppm to 0ppm for car washing purposes - private not commercial

I had no problems using purolite mb-400 and it lasted for about 4/6 months before showing 4/5ppm and I changed it.

I moved to Unger and could not get a ppm lower than 10 from the start, moved back to purolite mb-400 and everything is good

My questions - I am looking to buy another 25l and have been told that I should be ok with Tulison mb-115 with seems to be more widely available. Are the mb-400 and mb-115 interchangeable or should I stick with the product that I know works and buy 2/3 to stock up /emoticons/smile.png

Cheers for reading /emoticons/smile.png

Depends really mate, mb-115 will bring the tds to 0 but i really doubt itll last 4/6months if your d.i only from 280ppm....

I'd stick to the stuff your using if it lasts that long and you're happy with it, or buy an r.o system and have it producing into a few ibc''s.

Then use a bilge pump to draw the water from the ibcs onto your cars....(no idea if viable though as i know nothing about washing cars)

Evening - came across your site when searching for information and thought you might be able to help me /emoticons/smile.png

I am using a DI system for reducing a TDS of 280ppm to 0ppm for car washing purposes - private not commercial

I had no problems using purolite mb-400 and it lasted for about 4/6 months before showing 4/5ppm and I changed it.

I moved to Unger and could not get a ppm lower than 10 from the start, moved back to purolite mb-400 and everything is good

My questions - I am looking to buy another 25l and have been told that I should be ok with Tulison mb-115 with seems to be more widely available. Are the mb-400 and mb-115 interchangeable or should I stick with the product that I know works and buy 2/3 to stock up /emoticons/smile.png

Cheers for reading /emoticons/smile.png
Can I ask how much your spending a year on resin?

Also how much water your using a week ?

Depends really mate, mb-115 will bring the tds to 0 but i really doubt itll last 4/6months if your d.i only from 280ppm....

I'd stick to the stuff your using if it lasts that long and you're happy with it, or buy an r.o system and have it producing into a few ibc''s.

Then use a bilge pump to draw the water from the ibcs onto your cars....(no idea if viable though as i know nothing about washing cars)
An RO would create too much waste water - this way I can have the DI vessel in line with the pressure washer.

Can I ask how much your spending a year on resin?

Also how much water your using a week ?
Normally 2 or 3 bags a year depending on cleaning and dirt and water quality

Average 175 litres a week

Tulison mb-115 is the best stuff and also to save you a few quid 4-5ppm is fine to wash you can go up to 15 ppm no problem cleaning windows so I would have even higher cleaning motors

Tulison mb-115 is the best stuff and also to save you a few quid 4-5ppm is fine to wash you can go up to 15 ppm no problem cleaning windows so I would have even higher cleaning motors
Thanks - I might give it a try - after being bitten by the Unger was concerned about changing.

4-5ppm still leaves faint small water spots - I run to 0 based on my need for OCD /emoticons/wink.png

it should not if you rinse properly it will not leave any makes most windys clean with higher ppm than you are throwing away

it should not if you rinse properly it will not leave any makes most windys clean with higher ppm than you are throwing away
Agreed - but the drive is south facing and can dry very quickly under bright sun.

Based on the coatings I have on the car using 0ppm actually leaves a better shine and does not impede the hydrophobic properties of the coating.

on that question - what it is the best way to dispose of the used Resin?

How about going dual di? Running water through 2 vessels?

I noticed my ppm jumping up to 006 last week, so instead of buying another bag of resin, I bought another di filled, so I have my first vessel in 1st position, bringing my tap water down to 006, then my new vessel in 2nd polishing it off to 000.. I usually get 6-8 weeks from 1 11lt vessel.. 280ppm is high for just using resin and I think you would benefit a lot more using twin di vessels?

I have only ever used unger resin and I find it great for me, my ppm is only 40... But I have heard a few on this forum mention they thought unger was better than tulsion..

I have thought about using dual but space is an issue and the pressure then may be too low.

As soon as I changed back from Unger everything was ok - must have been something to do with water it just could not get rid of.

Hi Dartmin in answer to your question yes you can use Tulsion MB-115 as it is on par with Purolite and is a higher spec resin. We sell a lot of this to car valeters for final rinse.

Spotting generally occurs around 006 ppm and as a specification guideline all other industries do not go above 005 ppm. The first element that will come out of resin being exhausted is sodium hence you will see tiny white spots which are more noticeable on black cars. On top of this you also have pH creep.

With Tulsion, Purolite and other well known brands you will see their specifications on line whereas other labeled brands at lower prices you will find no specifications.

Hope this helps.

Superb - Just spoken to the master (Doug) and will be going with MB-115 - will post back with my results but from what I now understand the 40/60 mix of the purolite and tulsion is clear - the unger is unknown and that is potentially my problem.

And Doug is "spot" on - excuse the pun - spotting does occur around >6 so I change at 4 so that I do not have to remove the water marks

And if anyone wants to try unger resin I have about 15-20 litres they can have if they want to collect /emoticons/biggrin.png

Back