roof cleaning - first job

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by sdrah, Dec 12, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. sdrah

sdrah Guest

good evening everyone - I was asked to do a "quick clean" to a mossy roof something like this http://www.pesticide.org/Alternatives/phase-2-solutions-for-consumers/roofmoss.jpg

However I haven't cleaned a roof before - and don't have the equipment nor the experience . Any help from you guys will be appreciated .

It's a bungalow so is not too high but having no experience I am lost ... The owner wants me to cleaner the moss only and i was wondering if I should jet wash it or to use a wire brush and then a petrol blower ?! :)

or what do you think about this wand http://www.amazon.co.uk/Telescopic-...68133&sr=8-13&keywords=karcher+extension+pole ?

or shall I get a roof hook for my ladders ? how safe are these hooks http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LADDER-RO...by_BabyFeedingUtensils_EH&hash=item231086e2a0

thanks a lot x

Advertisement
  2. Smurf

Smurf Banned

I would say there is no such thing as a "quick clean" when trying to get moss off a roof for a start.

3. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Example vid:

This is an experienced roofer doing it the old school way but as you can see is dangerous work especially when not using a fall arrest system etc. One slip and would be game over at that height.

4. sdrah

sdrah Guest

thx Smurf - It is a good , pretty safe and cheap method - so very probably I will do the same with a scraper something ...

Any ideas how much to charge ? I reckon it will take me most of the day to clear two 3 bed cottages - about £160? for the roof and about £80 + for gutters

Anyway thx

5. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

thats gd bit of cash good luck nice one

6. sdrah

sdrah Guest

im gonna tie a rope / belt from the chimney - plus some ladder hooks will be helpful

thx again

7. Donny

Donny Well-Known Member

Scraping will take you ages, i always powerwash, lay down tarps , always use a roof ladder, i never charge less than £250 per roof , aint worth it if you do, if i was too scrape a roof id want £500 minimum

8. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Aye up Donny's back. Welcome mate.

9. mr shine

mr shine Guru

welcome back donny

10. Donny

Donny Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot guys, after my hols in September I was over at my parents house most nights and weekends, been getting it old people friendly lol, Good to have some free time again lol

Advertisement