Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Roof cleaning (Scraping/Bio)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

HWCS

Whose the groups guru on Moss removal and Biocide applying?

Ive got quite a few questions as i move to the next atage of business and could do with some advice, ive checked the search bar but not found the answers im looking for.

1: Are the Freeman scrapers the best for the money?

2: whats the best all round Biocide?

3: whose the best youtube channel?

4: How big a scaffold tower should i be looking at?

5: Anything i should have askes but havnt?

Last edited by a moderator:
1 I make my own scrapers 

2 Benz or algo clear pro 

3 Dont bother with any of them 

4 Highest  we have had to use was 8 meters I believe 

5. What are you going to do about all the dirt going into the gutters ? Cover them so it goes on the ground or vac them ? 

What are you going to do with all the waist . 

How long will it take and what pricing  structure will you use 

How are you going to apply the bio and what dilution rate 

And Ime sure there  are many other questions that will come to mind once you start ???.

Ill vac out the gutters after i think, but will cover any conny roofs that may be affected.

The waist will go into customers garden waste bin or mine if they dont have one.

Any recomendation for pricing structure greatfuly recieved. Lol

Im going to get a pole with a spray nozzel on for the biocide unless theres a better alternative.

Ill vac out the gutters after i think, but will cover any conny roofs that may be affected.

The waist will go into customers garden waste bin or mine if they dont have one.

Any recomendation for pricing structure greatfuly recieved. Lol

Im going to get a pole with a spray nozzel on for the biocide unless theres a better alternative.
You will be surprised how much moss will come off a relatively small roof we filled 20 large black bin  bags off half a roof approximately 25 feet x 20 . Price wise you need to earn 2-3 times more per day at least than window cleaning or there is no point doing it . 

We use a nozzle that’s designed for softwashing on a Gardiner clx  pole just use a current window cleaning pole no need to buy a separate one.

I made a twin nozzle spray head for hypo on roofs but it also works well for applying bio   

2654E3E8-AEF2-4DE2-9944-7C19A82AD257.jpeg

AE9845E7-867E-457A-A8AF-4521E74D9B21.jpeg

AE303818-F45C-4BAF-8A33-D050AD5A9BDA.jpeg

E9DCEE11-ECA2-409B-A130-415EB3C1CAF0.jpeg

E1626EA5-28BE-4A36-80B6-22C4EBDD8E64.jpeg

9F235EF6-0A87-49FC-9D43-C5186842E919.jpeg

That looks the absolute nutz, yeah thw earnings will need to be higher as ill be running 2 or 3 man teams on the roofs depending on the job.

Im loving that double nozze sprayer, im looking at a this for the biocide application.

https://www.progreen.co.uk/sds-algoclear-softwash-delivery-system-pump-for-applying-soft-wash/?utm_campaign=13075361894&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=521139967602&utm_term=&adgroupid=123504474698&gclid=Cj0KCQjwssyJBhDXARIsAK98ITTB5PpeWJMzLTswadNbKCCV9k8aJr1aT6s3kDVqx49iACQmGwMlQFgaAt7hEALw_wcB

The Freemans scraper is good but it has a limitation that some of the others don't. That is that the scraper head can only be attached to the pivot in one of 4 positions at 90 degrees. Some of the others have 8 positions at 45 degrees. What this means is that you need an additional angle adjuster. It's a bit difficult to explain but one angle gives you the correct angle from the scaffold tower to the angle of the roof straight in front of you. The problem is where you are off to one side then you need the extra angle adjustment to scrape down the roof at 90 degrees to tiles and get the edges of the tiles. It's difficult to explain I have one - won in competition and have used it on my roof, so not much experience but it is from a learners prospective ? .

A good channel is Sid at Partridge Exterior Cleaning on youtube. His early vids are a bit iffy on H&S but he did get better. He talks about kit, actually doing the job etc. He also talks about Bio, started using a backpack wfp pole and brush to avoid the spray - remember to protect your lungs and eyes. He now uses a dosetron but still wfp and brush.

Scaffolding tower wise I would hire one on a job by job basis to start with.

Price wise it does seem to pay quite well but boy is it hard work on your arms, shoulders and back!!!

The Freemans scraper is good but it has a limitation that some of the others don't. That is that the scraper head can only be attached to the pivot in one of 4 positions at 90 degrees. Some of the others have 8 positions at 45 degrees. What this means is that you need an additional angle adjuster. It's a bit difficult to explain but one angle gives you the correct angle from the scaffold tower to the angle of the roof straight in front of you. The problem is where you are off to one side then you need the extra angle adjustment to scrape down the roof at 90 degrees to tiles and get the edges of the tiles. It's difficult to explain I have one - won in competition and have used it on my roof, so not much experience but it is from a learners prospective ? .

A good channel is Sid at Partridge Exterior Cleaning on youtube. His early vids are a bit iffy on H&S but he did get better. He talks about kit, actually doing the job etc. He also talks about Bio, started using a backpack wfp pole and brush to avoid the spray - remember to protect your lungs and eyes. He now uses a dosetron but still wfp and brush.

Price wise it does seem to pay quite well but boy is it hard work on your arms, shoulders and back!!!
Yeah im gonna get a dosatron, i hqve 2 backpacks but dont wanna risk the seal in them, id rather get a dosatron and look the part.

Yeah im gonna get a dosatron, i hqve 2 backpacks but dont wanna risk the seal in them, id rather get a dosatron and look the part.
Bio won’t hurt backpack seals just rinse out after we used Gardiner ones fir years with bio and very string hypo mixes lasted at least 3 years , what you have put up the link to is nice but it’s expensive you can do it just as well fir a fraction of that price , we are now using nano trollys fliw rate is awesome . 

We have Dosatron s at the fire station they are good but again very expensive and the way they are set up for bio/ hypo it’s reliant on good mains Tap  pressure which you may or may not have in a job, if doing big stuff then it’s worth investing in the commercial petrol powered pump spray set ups but we use trollys very successfully on some quite big domestic and evan reasonable size blocks of flats it’s not as fast as the pro set ups but still dies the job fine and far less run off . 

Bio won’t hurt backpack seals just rinse out after we used Gardiner ones fir years with bio and very string hypo mixes lasted at least 3 years , what you have put up the link to is nice but it’s expensive you can do it just as well fir a fraction of that price , we are now using nano trollys fliw rate is awesome . 

We have Dosatron s at the fire station they are good but again very expensive and the way they are set up for bio/ hypo it’s reliant on good mains Tap  pressure which you may or may not have in a job, if doing big stuff then it’s worth investing in the commercial petrol powered pump spray set ups but we use trollys very successfully on some quite big domestic and evan reasonable size blocks of flats it’s not as fast as the pro set ups but still dies the job fine and far less run off . 
How many ltrs of mix roughly would it take to clean an avg 3 bed semi?

Ball park figure

How many ltrs of mix roughly would it take to clean an avg 3 bed semi?

Ball park figure
I tend to use 40-60 ltr of mixed bio per side of roof as a rough guide , that’s a modern estate type of house not Victorian . I probably use more than needed but always like to be sure it’s had enough before I walk away ????

Whose the groups guru on Moss removal and Biocide applying?

Ive got quite a few questions as i move to the next atage of business and could do with some advice, ive checked the search bar but not found the answers im looking for.

1: Are the Freeman scrapers the best for the money?

2: whats the best all round Biocide?

3: whose the best youtube channel?

4: How big a scaffold tower should i be looking at?

5: Anything i should have askes but havnt?
Just watch squeaky clean daves channel. He's brutally honest and a good friend of mine 

Is there a better alternative to the freeman?

Is there a better alternative to the freeman?
I can't remember which brand had the extra rotation in the head, sorry. The Freeman one is good, you might just need a euro thread angle adapter to give you more adjustment. The Freemans one is nicely made and good and strong. I have only used it on my roof which was from the ground as it's a bungalow and it worked well, not that our roof was very mossy. 

I don't think you will go wrong with a Freemans. The only thing that I would do is get some spare nuts and bolts (toolstation) as it's sods law you will drop one when changing a blade and it will disappear!!! 

I have a roof spray next week which i prefer to do rather than PW it. Will be cleaning the whole house for a sale next month. I think it puts a few grand on the selling price when its clean and tidy. This is big business in the US and slowly taking effect over here.

I have a roof spray next week which i prefer to do rather than PW it. Will be cleaning the whole house for a sale next month. I think it puts a few grand on the selling price when its clean and tidy. This is big business in the US and slowly taking effect over here.
Surely if you are just spraying there won't be the instant wow factor? 

If you were PW or scraping then you would get much better instant result? 

Can't imagine new owners will have a clue its been sprayed! 

Surely if you are just spraying there won't be the instant wow factor? 

If you were PW or scraping then you would get much better instant result? 

Can't imagine new owners will have a clue its been sprayed! 
Aye, they are selling next month so should begin taking effect on the moss. The viewers will witness the moss changing colour before it dies off. This is becoming big business up here with the amount of rain and cloudy days. Not had one complaint yet but only been spraying roofs for 6 months now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back