Roof cleaning

Discussion in 'Pressure Washing' started by steve hawing, Sep 7, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. steve hawing

steve hawing Active Member

I am looking at adding this to my list of services due to being asked about a dozen times if I do it, so been researching on the chemiclas and methods and was just looking to see what the rest of you who offer this service how you do it?

Im thinknig a cherry picker is the way to get the height as i doubt insurance would cover walking on the roof? the hypo chemical seems to be the business for a good result although does it remove large compact lumps of moss in between the slates or is this a scraping job to remove it first?

cheers

Advertisement
  2. peter rogers

peter rogers Grand Master

scrape roof down if moss is bad then spray hypo on wet roof then brush off be like new again

mind alot of people steve hawing wont want to pay the big money over here to have it done .

3. Jake

Jake Grand Master

I've never bothered with chemicals, I walk on the roof if it's flat enough, if not I use a cherry picker, although you need fall arrest saftey if you walk on them, so it's worth getting a cherry picker...

No need for chems, i did this with my Loncin 15 lpm in two 4 hour stints (over two days as it was too hot to stay up there any longer) and all the moss shot off easily, I think chemicals have there place, but most of the time there just not needed...

It's great to do, wish I could do more roofs, but don't get asked very often as it's an expensive job!

image.jpg

4. Jake

Jake Grand Master

image.jpg

Half way through, went over any stubborn white lichen moss after it was cleaned just to touch up bits, didn't need any type of chem..

5. Eviestevie

Eviestevie Grand Master

I have used a hypo mix on roofs before as I find if applied correctly then rinsed with a hose it cuts the cleaning time down quite a lot
    One roof we did when we returned to wash hypo off looked like it had already been cleaned
    Also means less pressure and water needed to remove the muck reducing the chance of water in the roof space and removing the granular protective coating on roof tiles

6. Jake

Jake Grand Master

I just think 'I'm up here pressure washing anyway, so may as well just get it done with the PW'

But then I'm not one to bother with chemicals, I like to travel light!

7. MrBump

MrBump Guest

What do you do with all the muck that comes off the roof? Does it all spray everywhere or does it all go in the gutters and fill them up and you just empty then every couple of hours?

8. Eviestevie

Eviestevie Grand Master

Most off the muck goes in gutters but depending on the amount off moss sometimes they fill quickly and you don't want all the extra weight
    We remove all pipes from the running outlets and let the water and muck drain into water butts

9. Jake

Jake Grand Master

It goes all over the place mate, everywhere lol!

I blast the gutters out when finished the roof, then I clean the gutters/fascias and windows after,

Then it's a case of sweeping up the moss and dirt from the customers driveway and garden,

I just make sure I quote well so I'm happy to spend two days at the job, and it's lovely getting one big lump of dosh after the job, rather than chasing tenners..

Would love to do more!

10. Eviestevie

Eviestevie Grand Master

Jake sometimes it's worth offering a full exterior explaining the muck off the roof causes a lot off mess so will pressure wash drive walls etc etc and put in the quote easy way to get that bit more work

Advertisement