Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pump flow rate

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jackjoewill

During the last week, my water flow rate on my trolley has dropped, and now I am just getting a dribble on a rate of 35. Also the pump is vibrating and making a shuddering noise. I have contacted Pure Freedom, and they said it was because I am using pole hose. Today I tried out my pole hose on my son's van system and it worked fine. Someone said I have dirt in the diaphragm, and to take it off and clean it. This is easier said than done.

Anyone else had this problem, and how did you cure it ?

Is the battery fully charged? If you have an off the shelf trolley, the battery supplied will be quite a small one and will need charging regularly.

Also, getting to the diaphragm isn't that hard. It's behind the cross head screws. Be careful if you decide to have a look at it, as there is a spring behind it. The diaphragm could have got dry and possibly the pump will need bleeding (can't think of the right word). Have you let the system run dry at all? Do you have a strainer fitted before the pump?

The battery is fully charged and works fine all day. It is a pure freedom trolley, and the diaphragm is bolted on the front with screws on the back, which I can't get to without taking the battery off. The system has run dry a couple of times when I come to the bottom of the barrel, but only for a few seconds.

Sounds to me that you need to prime the pump, I am sure that there is a thread on here from way back on how to do it

I use an aqua stop on my pole. When I turn it on the water comes out powerful as it should, but only for a couple of seconds then it gradually slows down.

Just took off all my hose connections, and pumped a barrel through at 99. I am now getting a flow of about 8 inches before it droops on number 35. ( sounds as if I'm bragging)

At least I can work tomorrow.

Cheers @Shiny. Prime was the word I was looking for, not bleed /emoticons/smile.png close enough though.
That's ok Tuffers...we're here to help, not that I am much good with tech stuff, I just remembered I had similar problem a while back and found a old thread, tried it and it worked not had a problem since....touch wood ...!!

Sorry for my ignorance, but what does prime the pump mean.By the way my trolley is only 8-9 weeks old.
Priming the pump means getting the inside of it totally wet without air in it. That's the best description I can do /emoticons/biggrin.png. Basically, don't let air get sucked in and keep an eye on the water level in the barrel and change it before it runs dry.

When it does that you have air trapped in the system so just make sure you bleed all the air out. Just wack it up to 99 until you get a good strong steady flow from the pole hose. Once that is done then recalibrate the dead end stop to say 45 should do the trick as your dead end stop is probably set to low aswell.

Every time you let air into the system you will need to bleed all the air out or the same thing will happen again.

If you don't want to waist your pure water disconnect the pole hose from the brush end and stick it back in the container

yeh thought i had that problem the other day...no water coming out after dragging my trolley over....but...er....rodney here had just stood the pole up and of course was squashing the pipe...

defo a air lock or a pin ***** hole i n ur hose if u put a new 25l drum full of water on ur trolley put pipe in then dissconect the hose on the out let hose frm pump turn pump on flat out an wate for ur pump to get the air out an run smove if that dont wrk change the hose that goes frm 25l drum to pump:)

Got there in the end.

It wasn't an airlock, it was the strainer from the barrel. When I took it off, everything worked perfectly. The flow is back as it should be, and the pump noise has gone.

Only problem now is I need a new strainer, to stop any bits going into the pump.

Can't find one anywhere. Ordered one from Pure Freedom, only to find it fits 1/2 pipe.

Any ideas ?

Got there in the end.It wasn't an airlock, it was the strainer from the barrel. When I took it off, everything worked perfectly. The flow is back as it should be, and the pump noise has gone.

Only problem now is I need a new strainer, to stop any bits going into the pump.

Can't find one anywhere. Ordered one from Pure Freedom, only to find it fits 1/2 pipe.

Any ideas ?
I take it your pick up pipe is smaller than 1/2" then,

If so what about using an inline fuel filter?

Sorry to be so thick, but what is an inline fuel filter ? My pick up pipe is the 8mm pipe that came with the trolley.

What have you done to your strainer to make you think you need a new one? Even if you dent it, it will still work.

Sounds odd that your problem was the strainer in the barrel.

Can't explain it. Somebody from Pure Freedom suggested it might be the problem.

On Friday I had no flow at all, so I unscrewed the end piece, just leaving the pipe in the barrel, and it worked perfect. Put the end piece back on, and the flow stopped again. I have looked at the end piece, and can't find anything wrong with it.

Attached photo

Back