Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner backpack upgrade?

con95a

Just wondering if anyone knows if it's viable to upgrade pump in Gardiner V3 backpack to a 100psi pump and upgrade battery to keep up?

My warranty is out anyway so doesn't matter about voiding it.

@alexgardiner would you know if this is possible or a good/bad idea?

Thanks!

Connor

im not shore if a larger battory would fit in side if u could fit one then u would just need to up the fuse ide have thault

Just wondering if anyone knows if it's viable to upgrade pump in Gardiner V3 backpack to a 100psi pump and upgrade battery to keep up?

Thanks!

Connor

As @tench0771 says a bigger pump equals more current draw and so would need a bigger battery. A bigger pump usually draws double what the smaller pump does.

Then the electronics in the backpack won't be designed to carry the extra load.

There was a video on Youtube where someone converted a backpack (not Gardiners) with a bigger pump, I think it was a Shurflo, with just an on/off switch. I wasn't impressed with how fast he was trying to work keeping up with the flow rate. It appeared to look good on video and got a lot of people talking at the time, but the proof is in the pudding when the job was done and the windows dried which we never saw or were privy to.

There's no reason you couldn't fit a bigger pump just would need a bigger battery 

A bigger battery doesn't mean it has to bigger in size can actually be smaller

Thanks!

Connor
Never done this myself - it would mainly depend on whether the larger pump could physically fit in - I doubt it would.

I bought a v3 pump from Gardiner's to fit on my PF trolley as part of a mod to reduce its weight. However, it didn't have enough guts to suit me.  So I bought a 5Lpm 115psi pump off Ebay for a tenner.  It looked almost the same but was slightly longer.  I run it on a 12v 7ah battery and get a full day out of it.  I believe the v3 backpack has a 12ah battery so if you can fit the pump in you should get a full day out of a fully charged battery with a bit to spare.  However, as has been said, you may have to upgrade the rest of the electrics.  You could use one of the cheap PWM controllers available on eBay.  

If you use a Univalve, you may find you have to modify the pressure switch as I found 115psi to be way too high for the Univalve and caused it to be impossible to operate.  You can do his by either swapping the spring in it for the one in the original backpack pump, or cutting off about 1-2mm of the spring with a Dremmel.  Once done just keep the spring when you replace the pump in the future and just swap it out with the spring in any replacement pump.  

Another note: The stated pressure on these pumps is the cut off pressure, not the operating pressure.  I found 100psi cut off to be way too high.  I normally like mine to be about 70psi which means they shut off very quickly when operating the Univalve.  If they have to keep pressuring the system up to 100 psi before they shut off when you shut off the water it wastes power and your battery goes flat quicker.  This is important if you are not using a digital controller.

Got a couple of these pumps and never use them flat out, that's through 100m of hose.

I bought a v3 pump from Gardiner's to fit on my PF trolley as part of a mod to reduce its weight. However, it didn't have enough guts to suit me.  So I bought a 5Lpm 115psi pump off Ebay for a tenner.  It looked almost the same but was slightly longer.  I run it on a 12v 7ah battery and get a full day out of it.  I believe the v3 backpack has a 12ah battery so if you can fit the pump in you should get a full day out of a fully charged battery with a bit to spare.  However, as has been said, you may have to upgrade the rest of the electrics.  You could use one of the cheap PWM controllers available on eBay.  
If you use a Univalve, you may find you have to modify the pressure switch as I found 115psi to be way too high for the Univalve and caused it to be impossible to operate.  You can do his by either swapping the spring in it for the one in the original backpack pump, or cutting off about 1-2mm of the spring with a Dremmel.  Once done just keep the spring when you replace the pump in the future and just swap it out with the spring in any replacement pump.  
Another note: The stated pressure on these pumps is the cut off pressure, not the operating pressure.  I found 100psi cut off to be way too high.  I normally like mine to be about 70psi which means they shut off very quickly when operating the Univalve.  If they have to keep pressuring the system up to 100 psi before they shut off when you shut off the water it wastes power and your battery goes flat quicker.  This is important if you are not using a digital controller.

Thanks, nice detailed answer. Sounds potentially possible then!

Connor

We never run them turned up highest, often we use them 8hrs non stop. Getting through maybe 900litre between us.

Latest Posts

Back