Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Sad Story..

Matty H

I was doing a house today in a street full of large properties (I only have 1 up there at £25 as there's a windy been going there since they were built - before I even started)

So this woman comes up to me today and asks me for a quote - £25 I say as its same as this one - she immediately accepts. Then another one comes out and the same thing!

Then the first woman was telling her neighbour who gestures me across - same again. So I say I know there's a lad who comes up here - Simon, has he packed in? No said the woman he's lying in intensive care in hospital with brain damage - HE FELL OFF HIS LADDER.

Very sad and that's one reason I'd never do trad - be careful out there's those who are.

I did pick up 3 x £25 houses today but I feel for this lad as I do know him to speak to /emoticons/smile.png

I was doing a house today in a street full of large properties (I only have 1 up there at £25 as there's a windy been going there since they were built - before I even started)

So this woman comes up to me today and asks me for a quote - £25 I say as its same as this one - she immediately accepts. Then another one comes out and the same thing!

Then the first woman was telling her neighbour who gestures me across - same again. So I say I know there's a lad who comes up here - Simon, has he packed in? No said the woman he's lying in intensive care in hospital with brain damage - HE FELL OFF HIS LADDER.

That really is sad /emoticons/smile.png:)/emoticons/sad.png:(/emoticons/sad.png:(

Very sad and that's one reason I'd never do trad - be careful out there's those who are.

I did pick up 3 x £25 houses today but I feel for this lad as I do know him to speak to /emoticons/sad.png

not to sound like a C here, but go around to his wife and ask for his work and split 50/50 until he is ready to return, that way she will have money coming in off the work and you will, plus if he decided to jack it in or cant come back you are already there, or all that will happen is it will get knocked and he will lose it

It certainly makes you think. I am trad and had a bit of a scare last week. I have a bad habit of hooking my fingers under PVC sills and leaning back as I detail. Anyway, my fingers slipped and I lost my grip. I could feel myself falling back...it was almost in slow motion. I thought I was a gonna. I ******ed at the sill as I started falling back but I could get a grip. It was only my third snatch that allowed me to grip and pull myself back. It scared me a little, particularly when I got back home and saw the wife and kids.....they could have been receiving a phone call that afternoon!

Thats bad man, must make you feel pretty akward?.

Yeah, i wouldnt go up a ladder to clean a window either, one small lapse in concentration is all it takes to potentially end your life, just not worth it.

not to sound like a C here, but go around to his wife and ask for his work and split 50/50 until he is ready to return, that way she will have money coming in off the work and you will, plus if he decided to jack it in or cant come back you are already there, or all that will happen is it will get knocked and he will lose it
That is kinda a nice thing to do. But think you'd have to be very tactful about it, not go in looking like you want his work. Go for a general chat & see how he is, then see how the conversation goes.

Shame for the lad.

Thats bad man, must make you feel pretty akward?.

Yeah, i wouldnt go up a ladder to clean a window either, one small lapse in concentration is all it takes to potentially end your life, just not worth it.
Yes mate I felt bad taking the work but at the same time they are asking me and if another windy had been there then they'd have asked him I suppose.

I probably would if I knew where he lived fella!!

A bit tact, but if his got brain damage probably won't be going back to work. Its a real differcult one. As windyman said just go round to have chat and say a couple of his customers have ask you to cover his work while he gets better and if there is anything you can do to help.

I'd definitely see if I could do a collection for him with his and your customers. Us windys need to stick together the poor guy.

i know wc that wouldnt of even asked the wife, they would of just gone around his rounds saying they are taking over

true theres parasite scum that would take his customers look how fast the neighbours came out looking for a replacement cleaner theres no loyalty with some people talk about kicking a man when hes down i hope he has insurance

it is sad but parasite scum? wtf? are you expecting people to go with dirty windows because of what has happened? its not the custys fault its the windys!

end of the day if you cant take care of the customer someone else will thats a fact of business

mark, I think he was saying parasite scum to the window cleaners who would go around capitalising on his misfortune and making out they're taking over......

it is sad. and it is scary thinking of being up ladders regularly again. but all of us (old timers anyway) started on ladders, accepting the risks as part of the job. it's only since going wfp that we are not willing to accept the risk. But there are still many out there who can't afford/don't want to/haven't seen the light yet about how nice it is to clean windows with both feet (mostly) on the ground.

heart goes out to this guy, it could so easily be/have been one of us.

i did ladder only for over 3 years when i started, would never go back, i remember taking foolish risks at the time when i really should not have, i know of ladder only windys also who either cant afford or just dont want to change to wfp,

your gambling ultimately your life up a ladder and for what? a couple of quid?

its a mugs game being trad only, i was a mug myself but not any more

i did ladder only for over 3 years when i started, would never go back, i remember taking foolish risks at the time when i really should not have, i know of ladder only windys also who either cant afford or just dont want to change to wfp,

your gambling ultimately your life up a ladder and for what? a couple of quid?

its a mugs game being trad only, i was a mug myself but not any more

It's not a mugs game if yer careful. To many want to take risks to get it done quicker. I myself am trad and never had an accident. I use special grips for decking, a ladder mat where needed, ladder pads, rubber mats on uneven ground, a stand off and a gadget which fits on the bottom of your ladder and acts as if someone's footing it. Add to that 2 backpacks for windows above slate roofs i think I'm totally covered and don't give a monkeys how long it takes me as long as I'm safe. Also change the feet on my ladders every 3 months without fail.

sounds very comprehensive mark, I'm impressed at rigouresness of it.

not a mugs game, no, but it manageable as it is, it is a risk, and accidents happen, no matter how careful you are.

but so is crossing the road, or driving, we try to minimise the risks, best we can. and pray nothing goes wrong! like flipping customers opening doors and windows and knocking your ladder...... ggrrr!

sounds very comprehensive mark, I'm impressed at rigouresness of it.

not a mugs game, no, but it manageable as it is, it is a risk, and accidents happen, no matter how careful you are.

but so is crossing the road, or driving, we try to minimise the risks, best we can. and pray nothing goes wrong! like flipping customers opening doors and windows and knocking your ladder...... ggrrr!
Not had that one. Had the one where yer cleaning and suddenly there's a kid in yer face smiling. Makes yer jump sometimes

i was refering to the window cleaners as parasite scum as bluemonkey suggested approaching his wife to either rent temporary or buy his round would give the man some chance as regards the customers obviously theres little loyalty there

Back