Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Builders Cleans

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Flinn

Hello Guys,

Im sure this has Been asked many times,couldn`t find it on the forums, apologies

Ive just got a call from a contrator, would i be interested in quoting for a builders clean.

I said certainly, i would call in and have a chat and look around and reply with a quote.

These are houses that are being renovated with new upvc frames and glazing.

They want the frames and glass cleaned and a general tidy up off all fittings,flooring and surfaces in all rooms.

My concern is, when they fitted the window frames, the guy using the CEMENT has made a mess of the frames and the glass.

There are clumps of cement everywhere..

Normally i would soap up the glazing and use a scraper with a new blade to remove bird lime and silicone, but this i wouldnt try on cement for fear off scraping the glass and being held liable for any damage done..

Is there and chemical that is eco friendly that any of you guys could recomment that desolves cement but wont harm the glass of the upcv frames..

Many Thanks

Flinn

I get this sometimes, I've had one this week. If the cement is a big lump, then use a scraper, gently. If it just small bits, wet the glass with soapy water and then place your hand on the glass and move it around as though you are cleaning it. you will then feel the cement, and it should come off easily if you just rub it gently with your finger.

I done plenty of these,I use a upvc spray cleaner from local b&q or hardware,spray the frames n use scouring pad to clean,spray again n scrim off,the glass I'd give a good soak n leave a min or two,soap up again n scrape the cement,****,paint render off,then clean as normal,aluminium powder coated frames,these scratch so use only a sponge,if it office glass.ie it a blacked out building , make sure the tinting is on the inside of the double glazing,or you gun get a massive bill for repairs,hope this helps

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies,ive desided to give this contract a miss,and gave the contractor details of another company who would be interested in this type of work.

Im still uncertain that just using a scraper and loads of soapy water will do the trick on these frames and glazing wihthout scraping the glass even after soaking for a period of time..

No dought jobs like this will come around again, hopefully i`ll be equipted and ready.

Many Thanks

If it guna be a ball ache n guaranteed a pain in the ****,then is it worth the ****

I've done b@stard jobs in the past n get the come back,I can earn more money just on windows than doin these

Glad my penny worth helped

What do the w.f.p. guys and gals do when they have this type of job :Image13:

Seems to me there is room and need for us all be it trad or w.f.p

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies,ive desided to give this contract a miss,and gave the contractor details of another company who would be interested in this type of work.

Im still uncertain that just using a scraper and loads of soapy water will do the trick on these frames and glazing wihthout scraping the glass even after soaking for a period of time..

No dought jobs like this will come around again, hopefully i`ll be equipted and ready.

Many Thanks
Cement is mainly sand, so if you soak it, it should break down easily. Only if it's been left a long time is it difficult to get off. I found that a scourer was not much use. You did right to pass it it though, if you're not sure.

Latest Posts

Back