Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

No water through pump? PLEASE HELP!!!!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mark Foster

Hi.

So I set up a DIY system in the back of my van. Shurflo 100 PSI pump and williamson pump controller. All equipment was second hand and the pump looked battered, but worked. It all worked fine for months (about 5) then the pump started doing some funny stuff, losing pressure, inconsistent pressure etc. Also it leaked in my van one night. Then one day turned it on and nothing, no water came out. Pump was running, but sounded lumpy, and could control it through the controller to turn it up and down but nothing came out. So after playing around with it decided the pump was knackered. I bought a brand new pump, Shurflo 100 PSI, and installed it today. Turned it on and nothing? The controller seems to be working fine, you can hear the pump going up and down through the levels, sounds much better than the old one. Its purring, but no water is coming out of it?

Very confused. Any ideas??

@Mark Foster are you sure you have a free water supply running into the pump?. it may sound daft but do you have an on/off tap before the pump. Or if you are using hozelock type fittings, does one of them have a auto stop in it so when not connected to anything it stops the flow?

Thanks for the replies.

That was my first thought, I do have a hozelock female fitting with a stop running into the pump. Ive changed this and nothing?

Its a very simple set up, tank - hose to pump - hose to di vessel - hose out to reel. All connected via hozelock fittings. Not much can wrong with this? The only other thing is the controller but seems fine, you can hear pump going up and down as you change levels. So it must be something obvious im missing?

Will disconnect everything when I get home and start again from scratch. If no one has come across a problem like this before then chances are im missing something obvious. But the system was working, I was cleaning windows pretty much full time with it then it just stopped. Ill let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Could be a piece on the di vessel. I had a elbow valve that went on the di outlet and stopped water from coming out

Hi.

So I set up a DIY system in the back of my van. Shurflo 100 PSI pump and williamson pump controller. All equipment was second hand and the pump looked battered, but worked. It all worked fine for months (about 5) then the pump started doing some funny stuff, losing pressure, inconsistent pressure etc. Also it leaked in my van one night. Then one day turned it on and nothing, no water came out. Pump was running, but sounded lumpy, and could control it through the controller to turn it up and down but nothing came out. So after playing around with it decided the pump was knackered. I bought a brand new pump, Shurflo 100 PSI, and installed it today. Turned it on and nothing? The controller seems to be working fine, you can hear the pump going up and down through the levels, sounds much better than the old one. Its purring, but no water is coming out of it?

Very confused. Any ideas??
Possible airlock. Ensure water is flowing freely from tank outlet into di vessel(check the in and out line is correct way round) then from di to pump inlet. Turn on and disconnect outlet from pump and see if it helps clear air in pump. Check inline strainer too for blockages. Also ensure all fitting are nice and sealed or you will suck in air. Do you brim your tank? If you try drawing from a fully brimmed tank without a breather hole or valve in the cap you’ll struggle to pull water. Hope you solve it mate.[emoji1303]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I will try tomorrow the water not even getting to di vessel going to try hooking main water feed to pump hopefully this will solve air lock strainer is clear and water is running freely to pump I’m just hoping it’s a airlock in pump as tank went low thanks for advice

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Got pump primed today was pumping fine but when I attach pole it just comes up de which is indicating dead end

Got pump primed today was pumping fine but when I attach pole it just comes up de which is indicating dead end

What fittings are there connecting to the pole? Is this a van mount and is water coming out of the reel when the pump is switched on?

@ tuffers they are all quick connect it is a self install van mount didn’t hook up hose reel feed was coming straight from pump and was ok when pumping out of quick connector when I attached pole it juddered completely

@ tuffers they are all quick connect it is a self install van mount didn’t hook up hose reel feed was coming straight from pump and was ok when pumping out of quick connector when I attached pole it juddered completely

66f18f1102a5c965969d2466a3d9d48a.jpg

I'm just trying to narrow down where the problem starts. I'm not sure what you're trying to say above. Have you tried pumping water through the reel without the pole connected. That's if you have a reel?

I'm just trying to narrow down where the problem starts. I'm not sure what you're trying to say above. Have you tried pumping water through the reel without the pole connected. That's if you have a reel?
Sorry if I’m confusing you I have got pump primed it’s pumping fine I have a hose connector from pump and it’s pumping ok from there when I connect it to pole is when the pump is now failing . I didn’t see the point in connecting to go through di or hose reel wasting good water . I connected pole to main water from garage and it’s working fine

Sorry if I’m confusing you I have got pump primed it’s pumping fine I have a hose connector from pump and it’s pumping ok from there when I connect it to pole is when the pump is now failing . I didn’t see the point in connecting to go through di or hose reel wasting good water . I connected pole to main water from garage and it’s working fine

Yes, but you have to trace your footsteps so to speak. You say water is going through your pole via main tap. Then your pole hose won't be your problem will it? Your problem will be your reel or DI. Hook up your pump to your reel without connecting your pole and see if water comes out. Is your DI in your van and after the pump? If no water comes out of your reel see if water comes out of the DI (if fitted in your vehicle after pump).

Do try and give as much information as possible. Your problem can easily be resolved with a bit of info.

Yes, but you have to trace your footsteps so to speak. You say water is going through your pole via main tap. Then your pole hose won't be your problem will it? Your problem will be your reel or DI. Hook up your pump to your reel without connecting your pole and see if water comes out. Is your DI in your van and after the pump? If no water comes out of your reel see if water comes out of the DI (if fitted in your vehicle after pump).

Do try and give as much information as possible. Your problem can easily be resolved with a bit of info.
My di is after my pump and then on to my reel so didn’t see the point in hooking it up to them today as I was happy the pump was back pumping today will be contacting supplier tomorrow as this system is brand new thanks again

If you have systematically checked all fittings and water is drawing through before you connect the pole then if you are connecting to a extended pole and getting de then maybe you need to increase the cal on the controller. 

But also if you are using a hozelock water stop end fitting then these can become faulty and prevent free flow of water and give a de reading, Better not use water stop end fittings at all as these will cause issues at any point. 

Latest Posts

Back