Scary one today!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by colinvansmith, Dec 19, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. I was driving from one area to another today and thought i'd take a short cut down a little country road with a slight decline i was driving around 15m.p.h the road slowly started bending to the right and as i turned my van started sliding straight forward toward an embankment and a bunch of trees, at this point i realised i was just a passenger luckily enough the embankment angled up the way and stopped my van without any damage by this point i was side on, i nearly Swear word!ped myself, for a split second i considered accelerating to power round it but thought better of it. The ice was invisable, once i came to a stand still i got out the van to look at the road and nearly fell on my ass, just goes to show my temp. guage was reading 4 degrees as well and according to the forcast it remained above freezing during the ***ht, lesson learned me thinks!! ;)

Advertisement
  2. Masons

Masons Guru

"I was driving"
    "at this point I realised I was just a passenger"
    "I considered accelerating to power round it"

Were you driving?
    Either way glad you didn't hit anything and are ok.
    Roads are terrible, I skidded yesterday about midday on a road which seemed fine, and I wasn't going fast either.

3. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

Not a good feeling is it Col?!, its happened to me before, and i had quite a few close calls during my 5.5 years with stagecoach (the worlds most incompetant company!). The last one that springs to mind was doing a school run one morning in an enormous 3 axle double decker, going up a hill in a small residential street the back wheels started to spin. Im sat there thinking, if i take my foot off the throttle and hit the brake we are going to start sliding backwards down this hill!, what do i do?. Fortunately i remembered something my dad told me (a truck driver) under similar circumstaces, he just kept his foot on the throttle, not hard down, enough to keep the rear wheels turning. The wheels would eventually dig down to the tar through friction and heat build up, the truck would lurch forward a couple of metres, then go through it again, and eventually he got to the top!. I did the same, and it worked. I guess there is no subs***ute for experience eh?. Glad you and your van made it unscathed though (apart from the pants perhaps?!).

4. what i mean is i was driving but then had no control over where the van went when it was sliding on the ice i therefore was essentially just a passenger

5. laddergarder

I had a close call like this last year there while driving on ice roads after a fall of snow, coming down a meandering road on the opposite side due to allot of parked cars, someone came around the bend as I was coming down. I made the mistake of jumping on the brakes a little to harshly out of fright, and then the van went into a side wards slide, heaving straight for the guy that was coming up the hill, who at this point had cam to a halt. I came of the brake and turned into the skid, and in the nick of time, brought the van back round, and slid into the kerb on the other side of the road. I was pretty lucky there was a little gap in the parked cars for me to slide into, or else I would have been doomed either way. I counted my freak luck, and went home and just took the rest of the day off.

The next day it was in the local telegraph a guy I knew lost control of his car, and lost his life.

6. kars

kars Guest

I wrote the work car off on sat going round a bend coming down a hill. , Hit the wall of a bridge which was luck as it stopped the car totally rolling down the bank. Car ended up on its side. I came off lightly, nothing i could do about it the road was so icy . Luckly there was no kit in the car! now the other half is desperately trying to find another motor for us which is proving stressful :( :( :( But on the other hand as first ever crashes go it could have been a lot worse and its not put me off ;)

7. vito61

vito61 Well-Known Member

All this goes to show we must always make sure our kit is secured in vehicle, ESPECIALLY water tanks. None of this "I use a couple of bungees, should be ok" nonsense!!!!

You never know what is round the corner etc.

8. A.K WINDOWS

what kind of car do or was you using theres loads of tidy estates for sale these days i love the vectra estate or diesel volvos.

sounds bad that smash nothing worse leaves you feeling real empty but lucky at the same time.

9. kars

kars Guest

Lol. Yeah it was a vectra estate. Apart from the car no real damage done and now have another so onwards and upwards :)

Advertisement