Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Scottish lockdown and Boris addressing nation at 8pm....what does this mean?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

What are the ones on amazon called? 
Friarshall and KeHellburn by michael mckeary I think

I wrote them nearly a decade ago. Kehellburn was about a bit of land down in Kilbirnie where my mates all bought a plot of land and begun doing a self-build. I went down and helped them and I believe it was haunted. Everyday something bad would happen and the land used to be a swamp I later found out. 

i feel sorry for some window cleaners.......some hate this job so much theyll make any excuse to have another few weeks off.....if you work on your own cleaning outside windows then you can work...this job is recession proof AND lockdown proof!we re so LUCKY!!

ive had 12 days off over xmas and im raring to go this month now........it was good to get out in the fresh air today on the glass(work off some of the xmas overindulgence!).....?
How is it recession proof?

I'll be carrying on as per. We've all agreed to wear masks. Other than that its just business as usual I reckon.

I'm meant to collect my new van from Newbury this week, probably gonna do that too, it's for work at the end of the day.
I've got to travel from West Sussex to Wolverhampton on the 18th. Get tank etc fitted, so that's classed as work. Let's see if I get pulled over !

I've got to travel from West Sussex to Wolverhampton on the 18th. Get tank etc fitted, so that's classed as work. Let's see if I get pulled over !
You will be fine. I had to drive to GrippaTank in Cambridgeshire from Kent when we first went into Tier 4 and I had no difficulties. As you say, it's for work. 

How is it recession proof?
Almost but yeah is immune to losing customers compared to other work think because it's a low amount every month or 2 & people like to support local business plus speaking my wife she can't stand dirty windows

Im meant to be going to Liverpool for an installation some week soon. Now in theory I can, it's work related and I can argue I can't carry out my work without this. Feels a bit risky though 

I started window cleaning in the recession of 1993....and my business has gone from strength to strength since the recession of 2008....so for me its recession proof which is another bonus!???
Both recessions never affected me at all.

It's a great recession proof job.

Non essential..... as in not needed. The world doesn’t need clean windows to spin.  They might get a bit dirtier but it’s not life or death. Everyone’s windows could be left for a month or 2!
There is no instruction that only essential workers can work in every area of business. Yes only essential workers can work in jobs with contact with people, but the only instruction for people who don't have close contact with others is to work from home- if possible. 

Barbers for instance cannot work as they aren't essential but also come into contact with the public. Window cleaners and indeed other types of services, trades etc can work, so long as they are able to follow the rules on distancing and gathering. 

You could choose not to go out which is great but that isn't required or expected of people. 

The rules are worked out very carefully, they don't want the country to grind to more of a halt than it has to. You have to find a balance. 

There is no instruction that only essential workers can work in every area of business. Yes only essential workers can work in jobs with contact with people, but the only instruction for people who don't have close contact with others is to work from home- if possible. 

Barbers for instance cannot work as they aren't essential but also come into contact with the public. Window cleaners and indeed other types of services, trades etc can work, so long as they are able to follow the rules on distancing and gathering. 

You could choose not to go out which is great but that isn't required or expected of people. 

The rules are worked out very carefully, they don't want the country to grind to more of a halt than it has to. You have to find a balance. 
The way I see it with the rules saying work from home unless you can't then for the sake of the economy you should be out cleaning windows. 

You can't sit at home and claim the grants that are for people who have suffered detrimentally due to covid if you could have got in your van and gone out to work.

Hi all.

This from GOV website.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-safer-travel-guidance-for-passengers#private-cars-and-other-vehicles

in the photo attached I’ve highlighted the relevant section for work.  It is allowed, with some practical guidance on some things to do to avoid any risk of transmission. For my part, I’ve had no one in my van since March.  Anyone working with me brings their own vehicle, or they don’t work- better safe than sorry.  But in principle, if no other option-then it is ok.

View attachment 22907
Don’t think that’s relevant we are no longer in tiers it’s now national lockdown , but think what @Part Timer said about van sharing is the latest direction we had a few months ago , unless I have interpreted it wrong ???

It's imperative that those of us that can work have a duty to get out there and make some profit so we can pay some taxes. It's those taxes that pay the wages of the healthcare workers and all public sector employees. If the money making part of the economy grinds to a complete halt we'd be a third world country in a matter of months 

This is the relevant part, after much scrolling!

Car sharing is not permitted with someone from outside your household or your support bubble unless your journey is undertaken for an exempt reason. For example, if car sharing is reasonably necessary as part of your work.

It is difficult to socially distance during car journeys. Where it is essential to car share, you can reduce the risk of transmission by:

sharing the transport with the same people each time

minimising the group size at any one time

opening windows for ventilation

travelling side by side or behind other people, rather than facing them, where seating arrangements allow

facing away from each other

considering seating arrangements to maximise distance between people in the vehicle

cleaning your car between journeys using standard cleaning products – make sure you clean door handles and other areas that people may touch

asking the driver and passengers to wear a face covering

As for vehicle sharing, it really depends on how much you are bothered about the other person you are travelling with, it's been guidance for months to wear a mask when travelling with others, I have lost count of the amount of people travelling in works motors that haven't been wearing masks clearly they think they are immune.

No window cleaner should be sat at home through this and not be able to pay their bills, anyone who claimed the grants may be sitting pretty with extra funds in the bank, not everyone is so lucky more so if people have kids they can't be fed and bills be paid with no money coming in as what the Gov offer some is a pittance.

Latest Posts

Back