Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

does anyone listen to anything interesting while working?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Guybrush

With this job and modern technology we have a great opportunity to learn and listen to an endless amount of things with ease and practicality that years ago they would never have been able to do. If we have so many working hours in the day I wonder if it was possible to become an expert or very knowledgable in something just by using your ears while cleaning windows.

I have listened to the whole of the Lord of the rings and the Hobbit audio books, learned some Spanish and now listening to some talks on Ted. It's a great way to pass the time and learn something new or just listen to something interesting. Just wondering if anyone else does this and if so what do you listen to?

Sounds like you are a born listener.

Myself I just concentrate on what I doing as I find listing to music etc a distraction and can impair my spatial awareness especially when working at height.

I like the concept of learning something new in time spent window cleaning. I generally just listen to my own thoughts, not much going on there I can tell you, or music. I'm going to have a think about what I can learn via audio, any suggestions?

Ted talks is really interesting but I'm not sure if it's available as an audio book so pick a talk you think would be less visual or just check a few talks out in the evening and then save them on the internet.

I was listening to an 80's live Eddie Murphy stand up which was about 2 hours long but had to stop listening as I would burst out laughing around peoples houses as I was cleaning the windows.

Autobiographies would be a good one, Alex Ferguson's I will try out. Not sure if Nigel Farage has released one yet though Tolish.

Ted talks is really interesting but I'm not sure if it's available as an audio book so pick a talk you think would be less visual or just check a few talks out in the evening and then save them on the internet.
I was listening to an 80's live Eddie Murphy stand up which was about 2 hours long but had to stop listening as I would burst out laughing around peoples houses as I was cleaning the windows.

Autobiographies would be a good one, Alex Ferguson's I will try out. Not sure if Nigel Farage has released one yet though Tolish.
Lol, yep. :thumbsup:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flying-Free-Nigel-Farage/dp/1849540942

Good idea mate, I'll check out ted talks, and have a look at some podcasts.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The voices in my head......who said that......no I'm not walking your blinkin dog again........yes I cleaned behind my ears.....

I myself would listen to the radio as I do a bit of scrubbing. sometimes I would watch my thoughts as I clean

In all seriousness though I do generally just 'think' and can't concentrate if i am listening to anything. Personally, I don't think headphones give the best impression ....but my round is at peak times in the day in a busy town so it may be different to others etc

Guybrush you CAN'T listen to the hobbit and lotr

You gotta read them

Appreciate the work of art that it is..not the bad film versions either

I am a bit (well a lot) of a Tolkien nut

Read pretty much everything he has done including most of the obscure stuff he didn't complete and his son finished

Usually i don't have music on but had a day of original acid house recorded from my old vinyl today

God i feel old

In all seriousness though I do generally just 'think' and can't concentrate if i am listening to anything. Personally, I don't think headphones give the best impression ....but my round is at peak times in the day in a busy town so it may be different to others etc
You have a point. I usually don't do it when doing commercial work or when a customer is present. Although, on the odd occasion, I use headphones without the MP3 player where I know there are going to be clowns ambling up to you and asking inane questions.

I certainly wouldn't use headphones where there's traffic of one kind or another. But nearly all my work is quiet detached houses in the sticks.

Also cleaning large solar arrays is very boring, anything to break the monotony is good innit.

I'm more of a dirty acid spiral techno man, but don't mind a little acid house if the sun is out. Bit of old sasha maybe

Try this @daveyboyhttps://m.soundcloud.com/russell-pearce/sasha-unplugged-1993

I have a very large collection of vinyl that must be worth 1000s

Acid house

Old school rave stuff

Drum n bass from the late 80s early 90s

I have been using a mates converter to put them on pc

Will never have time to do them all

with a voice like this Daveyvoy you can definitely listen lol.

I agree don't like all the modern day cgi and what they do in the films so don't watch them. I'm terrible at reading it just goes in and out and I have to keep going back and re reading, sod that with Lord of the Rings.

I read the hobbit and all lotr and silmarillion in 1 go aged about 12

Started the hobbit at school and got hooked

My wife can't read them as can't get olde english

I have about 400 songs on my phone and listen with a bluetooth headset. But 2 weeks ago (after some nagging from the missus) I downloaded and listened to fifty shades of grey audio books no 2 and 3. I want to learn a new language now as I thought it was quite easy to listen to.

Latest Posts

Back