Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

2 man Van set up Conversion

Greener

Hi All,

Im looking to employ someone starting next month, I am currently in the process of building a static 40-40 RO system in the garage, with the help and advice of @spruce who I must say has been absolutely fantastic with regards to the time he has spent advising me on what components I would require ect ect So thanks @spruce its been very much appreciated :)

I am now looking to convert my current one man van mount system into a two person set up, Im hoping its as simple as I think its going to be :thumbsdown: Im thinking of purchasing this from Pure Freedom

(100PSI SHURFLO PUMP+STRAINER AND FLOWMASTER CONTROLLER ON BACK PLATE)

100psi Shurflo Pump+Strainer and Flowmaster Controller on Back Plate - Controllers - Pumps & Controllers

Im thinking of using one of these to connect existing pure water hose coming from the tank to the new pump (picture attached)
Nylon 12.5mm (1/2") Equal Hose Tail Tee - Plastic Hose Connectors - Fittings & Acc's

IMG_4805 (2)_LI.jpg

My one man system pump/controller has a battery that is wired in with a split charge relay (Factory Fitted)

IMG_4808 (2).JPG

Im presuming that the simplest way of powering the new additional pump/controller is to purchase another battery and mount it safely and then to connect the new pump/controller to the new battery? Im not confident enough to try and rewire the new battery into the existing split charge relay mainly because I don't understand how these things work, so I was thinking about purchasing a battery charger and charging the new stand alone battery each night after use?

If any of you guys could offer me any advise on this it would be great :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance Greener.

Various 072a.jpg

Why not just copy what Purefreedom have done.

400 Litre Water Fed Pole Van System - Hard Water - Twin Output Pumps - Waterfed Pole Systems

You already have a mounting plate for the first controller so just fit the 2nd controller next to it and copy the wiring. You don't need to buy a unit with a mounting plate.

Your ideal battery is a single 110amp battery to replace yours. However, even on smaller 250 liter tank size systems PF sell a 110 amp leisure battery. So I would check to see exactly what size battery you have and if its smaller, then will the battery holder accept a larger battery? A Halfords 115 amp battery = Dimensions: 346mm x 172mm x 239mm (LxDxH).

In the meantime you could get by with a smaller 85 amp leisure battery for a while, but you will have to charge it every night. The battery won't last as long as it would with a single operator. This will do you until your employee settles in.

You could also split the outlet hose with a splitvalve and let 1 pump service 2 reels . Just at add second reel. Know guys that did it and a Well functioning 100 psi is plenty of flow for 2 guys ( just IMO)

You could also split the outlet hose with a splitvalve and let 1 pump service 2 reels . Just at add second reel. Know guys that did it and a Well functioning 100 psi is plenty of flow for 2 guys ( just IMO)
It will work but from experience not worth it... when a pump went on one of my vans the boys finished the day on the other one... for the money, one new pump, strainer and controller... worth getting I reckon!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

View attachment 13664
Why not just copy what Purefreedom have done.

400 Litre Water Fed Pole Van System - Hard Water - Twin Output Pumps - Waterfed Pole Systems

You already have a mounting plate for the first controller so just fit the 2nd controller next to it and copy the wiring. You don't need to buy a unit with a mounting plate.

Your ideal battery is a single 110amp battery to replace yours. However, even on smaller 250 liter tank size systems PF sell a 110 amp leisure battery. So I would check to see exactly what size battery you have and if its smaller, then will the battery holder accept a larger battery? A Halfords 115 amp battery = Dimensions: 346mm x 172mm x 239mm (LxDxH).

In the meantime you could get by with a smaller 85 amp leisure battery for a while, but you will have to charge it every night. The battery won't last as long as it would with a single operator. This will do you until your employee settles in.

Hi @spruce, Thanks for the info ;) Im looking at purchasing the unit with mounting plate on because the plan is once my guy is fully trained and working to my standard then a few months down the line Im looking to getting a newer van for myself and putting him solely in my current one. The new van will then have a tank only factory fitted and I will transfer the additional unit with mounting plate, battery ect from the old van into the new van.

Ref the battery, I currently have a small 75amps battery fitted to my system that is charged via a split charge relay, I was hoping that this would be enough to power both pumps but think it would probably be better if I get another 85 amp leisure battery and temp install to then be transferred to the new van when the time is right??

20170221_210559.jpg

Hi @spruce, Thanks for the info /emoticons/wink.png Im looking at purchasing the unit with mounting plate on because the plan is once my guy is fully trained and working to my standard then a few months down the line Im looking to getting a newer van for myself and putting him solely in my current one. The new van will then have a tank only factory fitted and I will transfer the additional unit with mounting plate, battery ect from the old van into the new van.
Ref the battery, I currently have a small 75amps battery fitted to my system that is charged via a split charge relay, I was hoping that this would be enough to power both pumps but think it would probably be better if I get another 85 amp leisure battery and temp install to then be transferred to the new van when the time is right??

View attachment 13710

I see the logic behind the controller and pump on a mounting plate now.

Only you know your round so its always difficult to comment on battery performance.

I would run both pumps off the 75 amph battery until you get sorted. In my estimation both pumps will use around 36 amps a day which is half your battery's capacity. Depending on your round you may get a bit of charge back into it through the day to help you through via your scr. I would think that your battery will be around 50% charged (or discharged depending on how you see the a half filled glass of water) so you will need to 'bench' charge the battery every night.

I can't see an 85amph battery being much of an improvement over the 75 tbh. It will only give both pumps and extra hours work a day.

In all fairness, having a second operator on the van won't double the amount of work per day you will get through. So in theory you won't be using double the battery power consumption you do now - you could only be using around 28 amps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see the logic behind the controller and pump on a mounting plate now.
Only you know your round so its always difficult to comment on battery performance.

I would run both pumps off the 75 amph battery until you get sorted. In my estimation both pumps will use around 36 amps a day which is half your battery's capacity. Depending on your round you may get a bit of charge back into it through the day to help you through via your scr. I would think that your battery will be around 50% charged (or discharged depending on how you see the a half filled glass of water) so you will need to 'bench' charge the battery every night.

I can't see an 85amph battery being much of an improvement over the 75 tbh. It will only give both pumps and extra hours work a day.

In all fairness, having a second operator on the van won't double the amount of work per day you will get through. So in theory you won't be using double the battery power consumption you do now - you could only be using around 28 amps.

Thanks @spruce I didn't make myself clear, I was thinking about getting the 85amph battery in addition to my 75amph one and running the new set up from the 85amph, mainly because I wasn't sure if the 75amph would be powerful enough to run the both pumps throughout the day so thanks for clarifying that for me so I'll stick with the one battery for now and see how it goes. Ref charging the battery each night do you think it would be alright just to connect the charger whilst the scr is still connected?? My battery has four terminals much like the picture I've attached, the scr and original pump/controller is attached to the smaller terminals and I was now hoping to attach the new pump/controller wiring to the larger terminals then each night attach the charger to the large terminals. Screenshot_20170224-215525.png

What about a backpack for now.. at 70 to 80 its a cheap start for new employee..(just put nearly same reply on a different topic.. bizzare)
Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
Thanks @CleanerWindows I'm looking to transfer the additional pump/controller ect into another van once the new guy is up to speed and have two vans out on the road so although a back pack would suit short term I think in the long run I'd be better setting up a van mount configuration from the off.

Thanks @spruce I didn't make myself clear, I was thinking about getting the 85amph battery in addition to my 75amph one and running the new set up from the 85amph, mainly because I wasn't sure if the 75amph would be powerful enough to run the both pumps throughout the day so thanks for clarifying that for me so I'll stick with the one battery for now and see how it goes. Ref charging the battery each night do you think it would be alright just to connect the charger whilst the scr is still connected?? My battery has four terminals much like the picture I've attached, the scr and original pump/controller is attached to the smaller terminals and I was now hoping to attach the new pump/controller wiring to the larger terminals then each night attach the charger to the large terminals. View attachment 13714

There is no problem with charging the leisure battery with everything connected up. I have a fly lead connected into the controllers supply cable at the rear so I just plug my controller directly into that.

In my case I have a bi directional vsr (voltage sensing relay) so the charger also tops up the van battery at the same time as well.

Back