Scratched window

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Alex87, Dec 9, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Alex87

Alex87 Active Member

Evening all

Cleaned my cousins windows just over 2 weeks ago.

It was a first clean. All cleaned with gardiner soft hybrid brush which I have been using for 3 weeks.

Had a call tonight to say when the sun was shining on the patio doors the glass is Scratched. I said will call up and have a look.

Went up there and the scratches weren't v shaped or in lines they were swirls.

Could this of been me that caused it ?
    Personally I can't see how as there is no swirling action going on when they are cleaned.

Has really got me down thinking about it but I haven't had no complaints from nobody else.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. SkulBlaker

SkulBlaker Well-Known Member

Sounds like they have had a go cleaning them themselves mate before you.

3. noddy

noddy Well-Known Member

had the same myself a few weeks ago , i got a indendent glass company in and between the three of us we couldn't pin point who was to blame legaly

so i just bit the bullet and got them to change the glass , not worth messing around with . tax man will pay for it in jan

i didn't want the customer to feel bad , and there a great couple been going there years

4. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

If it If it was a first clean Alex how do they know they weren't there already hidden by dust and grime?
    Easy to blame the windie

5. Alex87

Alex87 Active Member

I mean what you looking at to replace the glass on a patio door. I know it depends on size. It's a large french door.

6. boarcity

boarcity Guest

theres a colchester glass lad [james bunker] his price is to renew double glazing is around 100quid for 3 windows ,fitted

7. spruce

spruce Grand Master

#7 spruce, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015

It wasn't you due to the nature of the scratches.

If it was you then you would have the issue with other windows.

Its pointless trying to second guess how scratches like this have occurred. It could have been a painter cleaning off after a job, someone using a dry cloth on dirty/gritty windows to clean them or any thing else. It could even have happened during manufacture. It was probably not noticeable before, but wfp has cleaned the dirt out of the scratches making them visible now.

Cousin or no cousin, don't get dragged into finding a solution to their problem. Ask them to tell you how it happened/could have happened. I think the saying is "don't take on someone else's monkey."

In law you are innocent until proved guilty. But in this instance you are guilty until you prove that you aren't. Why should the onus be on you to find a solution?

We once got a complaint about damage to a conservatory window. It was from an unshielded angle grinder cutting a fence post near the glass. I told him he had also damaged the glass of the conservatory belonging to the neighbours next door. "Oh dear, I had better shut up then and we will see if he notices it."
    Funny how the window cleaner is the first person to be 'accused' of causing the damage.

Sorry, I don't mean to come across as harsh.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Alex87

Alex87 Active Member

Thats what I thought. The other point aswell is that they had their garden done a few months ago and was a big messy job. Lots of dirt about. And they have never had a window cleaner. So I'm thinking they cleaned themselves and scratched them whilst doing so.

9. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I have plenty of custys with scratched glass..not once have i been blamed
    If i notice any on new cleans i always point them out to avoid them playing the blame game once I've gone

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. mark

mark Forum Addict

if its" low sun",its amazing!!you will see every little mark & scratches.& who gets the blame.yes us.its been like this here in the midlands(low sun)I would suggest showing the customer the brush,very soft bristles etc.tbh from my experience they wont let it go unless you pay.its not your fault"get rid"and replace with three.

Advertisement