Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Scratched window

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Windowcleaner88

I’ve scratched a customers window and not just one scratch but a few on one pane! I’ve been window cleaning for 2 years now and this is the first time this has happened the customer has been brilliant and I’ve replaced the window she was totally understanding that accidents happen. The only thing I’ve done different is I’ve recently changed over to a Gardiner sill flocked brush head previously using the Gardiner medium soft sill brush. Are the flocked brushes more prone to holding grit/debris that could scratch glass as the bristles more compacted together ? It’s made me a bit paranoid to be honest and I’ve gone back to my medium soft sill brush.

I’ve scratched a customers window and not just one scratch but a few on one pane! I’ve been window cleaning for 2 years now and this is the first time this has happened the customer has been brilliant and I’ve replaced the window she was totally understanding that accidents happen. The only thing I’ve done different is I’ve recently changed over to a Gardiner sill flocked brush head previously using the Gardiner medium soft sill brush. Are the flocked brushes more prone to holding grit/debris that could scratch glass as the bristles more compacted together ? It’s made me a bit paranoid to be honest and I’ve gone back to my medium soft sill brush.
Yes they do tend to hold onto dirt more, I have used the without issue in the past but my preference is non-flocked bristle brush.

This isn't a criticism of you but I don't know how you scratched the glass using any brush. Used all types of btushes over 12 years and never scratched any.
To be honest it was a first clean for a new customer and it was a top window and I noticed the trickle vent had already been bashed off previously to me cleaning the windows so I’m not totally convinced I scratched the window but I wasn’t going to argue the toss as I have many houses in the area and want to keep a good reputation.

This isn't a criticism of you but I don't know how you scratched the glass using any brush. Used all types of btushes over 12 years and never scratched any.
Our Gardiner brushes don't have protruding metal jets, and the new ones that do are all plastic. I believe the glass was scratched some other way, perhaps even back as far as when manufactured.

To be honest it was a first clean for a new customer and it was a top window and I noticed the trickle vent had already been bashed off previously to me cleaning the windows so I’m not totally convinced I scratched the window but I wasn’t going to argue the toss as I have many houses in the area and want to keep a good reputation.
I can understand that you want to protect your reputation but now you have admitted to a customer that you have damaged her window, a dangerous precedent in my opinion as she will more than likely tell the neighbours.
If you had scratched one then you would surely have scratched others.

For future you do realise you don't have to replace the window ?. There's people that can get the scratches out the window for under £100.

I've replaced everything when damaged, even if I didn't realise I've done it if there's a scratch and it's consistent with glide of the aplicator then law of averages its been us. With it being the first clean and thr window already shows signs of damage from the previous window cleaner then unless the houses close to it have marks too I wouldn't have fixed it.

I can understand that you want to protect your reputation but now you have admitted to a customer that you have damaged her window, a dangerous precedent in my opinion as she will more than likely tell the neighbours.
If you had scratched one then you would surely have scratched others.
Catch 22 really

Catch 22 really
Not really as you've now admitted that you can scratch windows with your brush, so every neighbour can accuse you of scratching theirs. With confidence you could've shown her the previous damage and said any scratches were more than likely done by the person that smashed the vent.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back