Scratching glass

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by HALTON, Jan 22, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. HALTON

HALTON Well-Known Member

Can you scratch glass trade way without you feeling it
    Don't know if its the low sun but a lot of glass I have done a late seam scratched one way or another I have put a new applicator sleeve on but still seem to be finding scratches glass when trading ?
    Thanks

Advertisement
  2. boarcity

boarcity Guest

tips of squeegee channels can scratch -aluminium ones more than steel .

but you've got to remember that long before you came along other windies have been washin those windows ,some careless, some using scrapers wrongly- don't YOU take the blame for them. you NEED to practice what youre goin to say IF someone accuses you out of the blue-have a script ready on tip of tongue cos youv practiced it-it needs to be a total and utter denial, no humming and aaahing, its needs to be "that's nothing to do with me " while making eye contact

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. David K

David K Forum Addict

I don't think it's a problem, but many years ago when I was new to the game I scratched a grass I a living room outside , cuz I pointed the applicator straight to remove a bird spot . Don't ever do that spite the have put a tougher material in the end to able to scrub. If you have any sand og dirt in it ,you're screwed ...it's a trap. :bangheadwall:

4. David K

David K Forum Addict

Couldn't be said more correct boar !

5. HALTON

HALTON Well-Known Member

#5 HALTON, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    Don't think its tip of channel as rubber is bigger than channel by a few mil like I say new sleave unger could it be anything else I'm missing
    Boracity what's your script

6. boarcity

boarcity Guest

script as in "its nothing to do with me,i did not do it "

7. kahoona

kahoona Well-Known Member

Are you sure they are scratches? I ask because I thought I had caused some scratches only the other day, when the sun caught the glass at a certain angle i thought oh Shti! but when I looked really close it was just some minute spots of something that I had sort of smeared across the glass in really fine lines, they looked just like scratches. I gave them good old rub with the scrim and they disappeared.

8. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I cut my rubber flush with the end of the channel and my channels have a 45° angle cut on the ends and i still can't scratch the glass with them unless i was to use the end like a scribe

As long as you are using your applicator and squeegees like they should be used you can't scratch the glass so any accusations meed to be followed up with jog on it is impossible for me to scratch the glass with these tools so find someone else to blame

9. mark

mark Forum Addict

this week i was asked to clean one of my long standing customers windows inside(new windows replaced).it was Tuesday i think.we had low sun on the back.on the outside they looked perfect,until i cleaned the insides OMG.you could see every mark,swirl,finger prints inside the glass,hair line scratches- everything.she was horrified.ive been in this game to long enough to know in low sun whether trad or wfp you will see bad results in low sun.

10. davewindowcleaner

davewindowcleaner Well-Known Member

Sleeves on the t bar can cause scratching if you drop the t bar on the ground, it can pick up little stones you can't see or you got dirt inside the bucket belt where you carry it.

Advertisement