Scrim or microfibre?

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by wink2202, Aug 27, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. wink2202

wink2202 Newcomer

I know this question has been asked before but not recently I don't think?! Which do you prefer to use? I've just started out and so far I think the microfibre is better...simply because it doesn't leave behind any fibres like a scrim seems too. (The scrim I've used is a pre-washed A grade by the way)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
  2. Jacob

Jacob Guest

Have always used microfibre find them good. Recently discovered i got a scrim but i cant get it to work properly though.

3. Eclipse

Eclipse Well-Known Member

Microsuede for me

4. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

I love my microfibre glass cloths. They do get better with loads of hammer and washing. Marine drying cloths are good for leaded windows.

5. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

just started using microfibre
    wilkos £3 a pop really pleased dry quick happy days

6. TolishAPurd

Bone dry scrim everytime for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

Whatever turns you on Tolish......thats all that counts

8. boarcity

boarcity Guest

#8 boarcity, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2015
    Photo-0005.jpg
    they can take several washes before they start working. at first they dont absorb water very well. the fibres need breaking in

also it seems every batch of Unger grade A scrim is different,different by a long way too. some are like sackcloth can take weeks to break in but some are fine as silk break in a day or two . i recently bought 3 packs x 10 from www.cleaningstuff.co.uk to replace a few id had 8 yrs , [god what other cloth lasts 8 yrs and still ok but getting holey] and these new ones are very good not like sackcloth

i cart about 50 scrim into my van each day in a garden waste sack ,shared among 4 workers and wash about the same each evening drying on racks well its my missus does this chore mostly .reminds me i must replace a broken rack iv seen a beaut of a rack on sale in ipswich has alloy tubes instead of wires will possibly get one "as a real treat" for the missus this wkend and try it out

we dont use a seperate sill cloth cos it takes too long to change cloths is my experience so use a scrim for everything .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Jacob

Jacob Guest

Okay must wash them some more then washed it couple of times, and the fabric is like a rough sackcloth, maybe i have just got a bad one. Thanks for the advice

10. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Why take that many scrims when all your guys could get away with about 5 wilkos microfibres each for a days work maximum..if you hang the damp ones to dry in the van probably only need a couple each

Advertisement