Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

cleaning flag stones

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Philibobs

I have a few flag stones in the garden that need cleaning.

I have a pressure washer but what's the best cleaning agent to put on them as I find just water and a brush take forever.

Wheres the best place to get it from please?

Sodium hypochlorite (hypo) 14-15% diluted 1 to 1 works well. You can get Sodium hypochlorite 14-15% (chlorine) from any local pool supplier.

H&S tips:

1.Handle with care and wear PPE - eye protection, gloves and wear old cloths as is very strong chemical to use even diluted down. For footwear I wear wellie boots.

2. Keep pets & children away from the area until the surface is dry.

How to use:

1. Preparation - Wet all the area down first including any grass, plants, boarder etc in close proximity of any runoff with a garden hose.

2. Mixing - Wear PPE mentioned above as hypo is a very strong chemical.

I prefer to mix the hypo in a window cleaner’s bucket 1-1. Add the water first then hypo so any splashes the hypo is less concentrated.

3. How to apply - Just brush on using a chepo telescopic car/truck brush. Apply liberally with the brush as you don't have to scrub but just agitate it in. Leave for about 30 min then rinse it off including surrounding areas to dilute the runoff. Repeat if required. Job done...

No pressure washer required....

However if you decide to use one once the hypo is on the surface just be careful of overspray and make sure that all areas/surfaces the overspray comes into contact with is thoroughly rinsed down whilst you are working. Then rinsed down again afterwards.

Hope this helps?

What pressure washer have you got? Even my parents cheapo electric one clean old flag stones

I bet it don't get those tough black lichen spots of them though without spending hours trying to remove them let alone clean them?

I know from experience not even a decent washer will get rid of them easily if at all. Whereas hypo works a treat and not only cleans the surface also kills any growth which is growning in the porous surface stone dead.

What chems do you use if any as none work as well a hypo I've found?

What pressure washer have you got? Even my parents cheapo electric one clean old flag stones

I don't think my parents had the black spots just severely dulled over the years.

Normally I just use hypo and a nice blast.

@Philibobs what washer do you have?

I don't think my parents had the black spots just severely dulled over the years.

Normally I just use hypo and a nice blast.

@Philibobs what washer do you have?

Hozelock pressure washer. I'll have a look for above chemical. In reply to other it can get them clean with it, just takes forever to do as there filthy.

Just be careful using hypo as is nasty stuff and will also ruin your cloths too.

Cheers, old clothes it is. I've found some on ebay, think I saw it for £15 ish mark. I did find a chemical pool place selling it cheap till I read minimum order was 10 + /emoticons/smile.png

Cheers, old clothes it is. I've found some on ebay, think I saw it for £15 ish mark. I did find a chemical pool place selling it cheap till I read minimum order was 10 + /emoticons/smile.png

I use a small shop local that sells hypo that I just buy when needed but is not cheap but I don't like storing loads of hypo about the place.

Back