Self Cleaning Glass

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by keir, Apr 6, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. keir

keir Guru

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, what a rip off!!!! just cleaned a massive conny and porch on friday which she stubbornly resisted getting cleaned for 3 years thinking eventually it would "self clean" anyway now she wants them cleaning every 8 weeks.......real dooooooo's

Advertisement
  2. Gmeister

Gmeister Grand Master

Self cleaning glass, I love this term.

It doesn't actually clean itself, I think it may stay cleaner for longer, or dirt is harder to stick to??

I say I love the term, cause my dads a joiner and I remember when this stuff came out and I was only a kid!(10 - 15 years ago??) I used to think that it had wiper blades on them that cleaned it! :tongue:

lol so when I hear this term my brain thinks this first lol ! :tongue:

3. adyspurs

adyspurs Guru

Like it,seriously though I've done a few and charge more because people leave it longer.
    Especially the ones who fell for this 10-15 years ago!

4. JDMW

JDMW Guru

hahaha i heard people say there glass cleans its self lol i thought it was just more slippy so nothing clings to it lol
    its like solar panels, ppl think they dont need cleaning. thats what the counsil never tells them and when i said if you dont get it cleaned you dont get much light in and then you get less power. ppl actually think it doesnt ever get dirty :laugh:

5. chip

chip Guru

Self cleaning glass only works if the weather behaves in the right balance, which it invariably doesn't!

6. harunh

harunh Legend

Self cleaning glass is daft no such thing as self cleaning lol

7. JDMW

JDMW Guru

its for the gullible people with more money than sense, like my nans neighbours, when i started out i asked if they wanted a window cleaner and they said no thanks we have self cleaning glass. i searched google and it basically said something bout the rain and the sun does something but cant remember. anyway last summer a bird shat on there back windows and i noticed it and they said ohhh the back windows are not self cleaning, but you could tell they had the lot done. its still there today lol

8. essex boy

essex boy Active Member

The idea is that it gets dirty, the rain then breaks up the dirt and washes it away . The glass companies tell people to never use a brush on it and t o occasionally run a normal hose on it if it has been dry weather. They colour it blue and charge double. I quite like it as I hate doing conservatory roofs as am too busy so just tell everyone it's self cleaning and I can't touch it.

It's just a con, it's a glass roof so must be as tough as the wife's cooking! Of course it can be cleaned

9. Solar Steve

Solar Steve Guest

Self cleaning glass does not exist. However, glass can be coated with a hydrophilic layer which uses photo catalytic decomposition. It does work, the glass does self-clean. HOWEVER, the conditions for the chemical reaction to take place depend heavily upon the angle of the glass. Vertical is not the angle, nor is a conservatory roof the right angle. So a customer can be sold and claim they have self-cleaning glass because scientifically they do, it will have the hydrophilic coating. But it will more than likely be mounted at the wrong angle for the self-cleaning effect to happen.

10. Gmeister

Gmeister Grand Master

I guess solar panel(most) will work as self cleaning then, as their at the right angles?

Although I guess A proper clean shouldn't go a miss either!

Advertisement