Setting the Flow

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by window washer, Jun 2, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. I have a Shurflo 100psi which my mate calibrated to 50. The Swear word!y leaflet that came with the pump appears to suggest 30 but I have always used 50.
    Most of my work is domestic houses so what would you suggest for: -

A) First cleans
    :D normal daily cleans.

I would like anyone's thoughts as by setting the flo incorrectly I may be wasting a lot of water.

;):exclamation:;);)

Advertisement
  2. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

I take it you don't have a flow control? If you do then you can adjust as you go per job and see what suits you best.

3. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

They can tend to vary a lot - even with similar systems.

I have one Freedom trolley (with a 1.7 Litre per Min sureflo pump) that I use on about 25 - if using pencil jets, or about 20 if using Fan Jets. This can be slightly lower if the trolley has just been charged, or slightly higher if the battery is tired.

I have another Freedom trolley ( with a 1.1 Litre per minute sureflo pump) that I use on about 40.
    When the pump controller on this one failed, I replaced it with a Variflo digital, and the setting changed to about 45.

The only sure fire way that I have of setting up for initial use on my systems is as follows:

1: fully charge trolley
    2: Use for an hour
    3: Get a measuring jug, and a stopwatch
    4: Run the pump and direct the flow from one jet into the jug for exactly one minute.
    5: Look at how much water is in the jug, and double the reading.
    6: This figure is then litres per minute from the brush - I aim for 1.4 LPM, which I find works best for me.
    (Even this figure can be a matter of personal choice - but I find any lower, it takes too long to rinse,
    any higher - I get through too much water)

Gives a good initial setting for daily use.

Dave

4. Thank you.
    I have a Streamline digital flo controller but 50 seems very high. The water (pencils) spurts out about 8 foot which seems a lot.
    I will try and get around 1.4ltrs pm as you say.
    Thanks again.

5. nearlyclean

Supplier

3-4 ltrs per min is good for rinsing first cleans and about 1-2 ltrs per min for regular stuff you can use a slower flow but with this comes with experience, I run mine flat out without flo controller just a tap to turn water on/off as I like a high flow.Slower flow work slower-faster flow work faster
    As long as the window is clean after you finished the flow is just right
    Do you use a tap or aquadaptor to turn water off when not on the glass this will half your water usage

6. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

This is so true used an aquadapter today for first time and I am very surprised just how much you waist between windows.

7. I use a ball valve tap which sits in a holster on my belt (makes me feel like Clint Eastwood) so save water, plus thanks to Flipfasts I adjusted my pump so it turns of with fairly low pressure.;);)

I checked this afternoon and use 1.5ltrs of water per minute on normal windows and 3 litres pm on first cleans.

Therefore a flow rate of 30psi seems to e sufficient for me at the mo.

8. Windowwhiz

Windowwhiz Guest

I've got the 100 psi shurflo pumps also and we run them at 35 for all cleans and sometimes creep up to 38 for real dirty 1st cleans :0)

9. Thanks
    I am finding 35 to be about right - about 1.5 ltr per min

10. Richard

Richard Forum Addict

Set the water flow rate to your own pace of working.

Too slow a flow rate of water and you will waste time, this will be very costly.

Too high a flow rate of water and you waste water (gradually turn the flow down, until you find the right balance)

Richard

Advertisement