Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning Wooden Framed Windows with WFP

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi guys,

I've just bought my first WFP system & I think i'll be ok doing UPVC windows after watching some videos and practicing at home. But I have a slightly awkward job that is very difficult to get to with ladders & looking for some advice (technique) on how you would tackle these with a WFP. The window frames are wooden & not always in the best state of repair, but they are fairly large panes of glass.

Thanks in advance! :)

View attachment 4142

offer to do a deep clean first time round and do the tops twice ,just explain to the customer if the paint is flaking off then the need re painted , then your covered

Hi guys,
I've just bought my first WFP system & I think i'll be ok doing UPVC windows after watching some videos and practicing at home. But I have a slightly awkward job that is very difficult to get to with ladders & looking for some advice (technique) on how you would tackle these with a WFP. The window frames are wooden & not always in the best state of repair, but they are fairly large panes of glass.

Thanks in advance! /emoticons/smile.png
I'd clean just the glass on those and not touch the frames at all, probably leave the sills too.

I'd clean just the glass on those and not touch the frames at all, probably leave the sills too.
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking the same as tuffers, just doing the glass on this job. I've used ladders for the past few years on this job, but the business tenants appreciate the need for improved H&S by using WFP & re happy with us to use it. Is there anything different about technique I should consider if just doing just the glass on this job? I realise with the double panes I should probably do the top pane & then come back after a while to do the bottom pane when any run-off has dried.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking the same as tuffers, just doing the glass on this job. I've used ladders for the past few years on this job, but the business tenants appreciate the need for improved H&S by using WFP & re happy with us to use it. Is there anything different about technique I should consider if just doing just the glass on this job? I realise with the double panes I should probably do the top pane & then come back after a while to do the bottom pane when any run-off has dried.
Looking at that pic, I'd start with the top 3 of the 9 panes, then move to other top windows to the side of it, then do the middle 3 of the 9, have a smoke, do some bottom ones, then do the 3 at the bottom of the 9, then do the doors, have another smoke and move round the building doing a few more tops then bottoms.... You'll suss what needs to be done as you know the building :thumbsup:

Water fed poles window cleaning is recognised to be as good if not better than conventional methods. Once the first couple of cleans have been carried out the standard will be as good, and your frames will also get a thorough clean every visit. The use of Water fed poles is recognised by the British Window Cleaning Academy as a safe and effective method.

Most of mine are wooden? Just crack on, if they're flaky painty, dont brush frames and rinse well. Advise them they need repairing.

They would say that as the British Window Cleaning Academy is owned and operated by ionics /emoticons/biggrin.png

Water fed poles window cleaning is recognised to be as good if not better than conventional methods. Once the first couple of cleans have been carried out the standard will be as good, and your frames will also get a thorough clean every visit. The use of Water fed poles is recognised by the British Window Cleaning Academy as a safe and effective method.

Apparently it's even more effective method if you happen to buy one of their parts per billion systems too /emoticons/biggrin.png

I did a house with wooden frames yesterday and the customer said that she was delighted with the pole and brush thing. 'They are crystal clear after you have been love'

I do lots of wooden framed houses and have never had a problem.

Most of mine are wooden? Just crack on, if they're flaky painty, dont brush frames and rinse well. Advise them they need repairing.
Thanks SPC, any tips for technique on the glass? e.g rinsing a second time leaving an inch from the top of the frame. I've not set up the system yet, so actually never used a wfp on any type of window.

Just get stuck in amigo. Clean the window, and go back and check after. Move the loose bits of paint down the glass wheeeeee with the jets.

Back