Should water softener lower tds?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by sjwhite, Aug 13, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. sjwhite

sjwhite Newcomer

Hi my water from the tap is reading 190 it then goes through a sediment filter, carbon filter and a water softener vessel before 40/40 RO, but its still reading the same tds levels before the ro.
    Tds after ro is 10 and the ro waste tds is reading 390.
    Do the readings sound about right or do I need to change anything?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

Advertisement
  2. Trev81

Trev81 Guru

Sounds decent enough, a softener won't lower TDS it just aids in protecting a RO in very hard water areas, with your tap TDS you orob don't need a softner tbf.

3. sjwhite

sjwhite Newcomer

4. spruce

spruce Grand Master

I'm curious why you would go to the added expense of a water softener when your water isn't that bad. In a town near us their water is from boreholes and their tap tds is around 550. That's water softener territory.

Exactly why they call it a water softener is beyond me as it doesn't change the tds of the water as Trev81 has stated. What it does is remove the calcium and magnesium ions from the water (this is what causes the hardness) and replace them with sodium ions.

Its the calcium and magnesium in the water that is hard on membranes whereas sodium is more gentle.

-

5. sjwhite

sjwhite Newcomer

Thanks for the info, the water softener vessel came with the ionic system, so have always used it.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

6. steve garwood

steve garwood ginger lion

Is spruce god?

7. Green Pro Clean Ltd

Not to everyone but he is YOUR God! :p

8. steve garwood

Zzzzzzxxx img(8).jpg

9. spruce

spruce Grand Master

No chaps, definitely not God.

When we were visiting friends down south about 10 years ago, they also got a visitor (friend) from Milton Keynes whose business was supplying and fitting water softeners. This was in the early days of wfp and r/o's for us, so I asked the question if we could use a water softener to replace our r/o. The reason behind this was that our r/o was a 225GPD and was very slow. I was looking for a cost effective (cheap) alternative. (In those days the next step up was 3 x 100GPD membrane upgrade which I didn't think much of. 150GPD membranes weren't available at the time from RoMan and they were my only known r/o component supplier back then. 4040's were the next step after a Merlin (didn't want that) but they were much more expensive than they are now and I felt that it was like going from a 1 tonne pickup to a 150t dump truck.)

His immediate response was no and explained what it did as opposed to how an r/o works.

So this info was the result of a simple question at the right time directed to the right person.

-

10. steve garwood

You sure know your stuff Mr. Spruce :thumbsup:

Advertisement