Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Shurflo

HALTON

Quick question regarding shurflo pump.

Did a diy controller nothing special just ones you see on ebay .

So my question is this if the pump is running at full power and I dead end it the pressure switch kicks in and turns flow off all OK .

Now if I say run at half power so pump is running slower to slow flow down at the brush jets and then I dead end it it don't turn off.

Any ideas I think I have to adjust the pressure switch but do I turn the pressure switch clock wise to increase pressure or anti clock wise so it shuts off at lower pressure

Cheers

Quick question regarding shurflo pump.Did a diy controller nothing special just ones you see on ebay .

So my question is this if the pump is running at full power and I dead end it the pressure switch kicks in and turns flow off all OK .

Now if I say run at half power so pump is running slower to slow flow down at the brush jets and then I dead end it it don't turn off.

Any ideas I think I have to adjust the pressure switch but do I turn the pressure switch clock wise to increase pressure or anti clock wise so it shuts off at lower pressure

Cheers
If the DIY controller is a good PWM controller then you shouldn't have a problem.

If its a controller that works like a dimmer switch, then maybe insufficient current is getting to the motor under load and the slower speed. Stalling the motor will cause it to heat up and damage it.

If its a PWM controller but less than 10 amp (some are 3 & 5 amp) then again its not providing the motor with sufficient current.

If its providing 10 amps then that should work. So it would indicate to me that there is something amiss with the controller. If it works flat out then it should work at a slower speed. Under load that motor will draw up to 8 amps.

Is it 10 amps at 40v or 10 amps at 12v? There's a big difference.

Trouble is that these things are cheap and I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't meet the specs they advertise. I used one on a backpack and it only lasted a few weeks - a backpack motor draws 1/2 the power a Shurflo pump does.

12v to 230 volt invertors are a prime example. Search Youtube and you will find some of the tests show they don't even produce half the load surge they advertise they will.

If it was battery why wouldn't it manifest itself when the pump is running flat out.

£2.99 is too cheap for a quality controller IMHO. I would always recommend a proper wfp controller with de.

You could try adjusting the pressure on the pressure switch. Turn the screw 1 turn anticlockwise and test. Then another. By doing it that way you can always return it back to its original setting.

OK thanks for help it couldn't be the pump could it that is causing any issues ?
There's always a small chance it being pump, battery, wiring, etc.

My experience with Shurflo pumps is that they have been bullet proof, so on that experience I would first look at that £2.99 PWM controller.

Any switch will work when allowing full current to pass through it. Your pump is working 100% on full current. This indicates to me that the pump is working fine, the battery is performing and the cabling is ok. It is all working well under full load except the controller.

It all changes when you adjust the power regulator to reduce the motor speed. The book of problem solving suggests you look at what changed when something went wrong. Your controller changed.

My advise is the throw it away and buy a fit for purpose unit. If you are running a Shurflo pump then one of the Spring manufactured controllers is what you want.

Yes, they cost a lot more than £2.99, but they work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks spruce but what can I use in the mean time until I can get a proper controller that will not harm the pump.

Thanks

i have a few spare controllers halton if you need one,
Cheers m8 think its my battery as tried another today and all good I think.

How much you wanting for one.

Is that floors to Go in your aviator on regent St what area of Leeds you work

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a few spare controllers halton if you need one,
Cheers m8 think its my battery as tried another today and all good I think.

How much you wanting for one.

Is that floors to Go in your aviator on regent St what area of Leeds you work

hi halton,yes its fllors to go,i used to do that and a few others on there but it became a pain as none of them had means to pay up on the day so that meant a 24 mile round trip to collect,

i've an old pure freedom controller-anologue one you can have for a tenner,just needs wireing up and a fuse holder popping in the live feed,i work mostly wetherby area

Back