Sill scratches

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by brianbadonde, Jul 7, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. brianbadonde

brianbadonde Member

Does anyone known what is best for removing scratches from sills? A fellow windy from a neighbouring village has asked me to find out. He is a bit older than me and doesnt really do the internet thing lol I have told him to buy a sill brush as when I used a toothbrush style brush I scratched some sills (luckily no one mentioned it to me). He had a customer complain and after checking, sure enough he said he saw scratches which he agrees were probably down to him cleaning sills with the brush. Any idea guys? TIA.

Advertisement
  2. Marko067

Marko067 Well-Known Member

If they are scuff marks from the brush stock they can usually by removed with a magic eraser or cream cleaner. If they are actually scratches then that depends how deep they have gone. Light scratches, I've had customers who swear by 'T' cut (not coloured). As for deep scratches I'm not sure they can be removed.
    I've got one older customer who has kept her 20+ year old powdered Ali frames looking like new with 'T' cut and car wax. They do look new. No exaggeration!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. spruce

spruce Grand Master

Astonish cleaning paste works well and is slightly better than CIF cream which we mainly use.

These scratches are most likely caused by the operators techniques. Holding the brush vertically scrubbing the lower window and frame with the brush head side rubbing against the sill is the chief culprit.

However, we have also seen scratches caused by the moulding machine during manufacturer. These usually run the full width and length of the sill in perfectly straight scratch lines. Scratches caused by the brush head will not run the length of the sill. Just because a customer has had new windows doesn't mean they are perfect.

-

4. mkn8382

mkn8382 Active Member

Will have to get something to clean my customers one person mentioned it to me the other day and I can't believe how many of my customers have the marks on the sills

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

5. Green Pro Clean Ltd

A few years back we were asked to restore these on a holiday complex and used the same method, worked a treat.

These days I am using 'Unger Rub Out' Not at all cheap but a little goes a very long way, great on UPVC clean ups and superb for hard water staining.

6. brianbadonde

brianbadonde Member

Thats great, cheers guys. That gives me something to get back to him with.

7. Iron Giant

Iron Giant Active Member

I have seen quite a few marks on the sills I clean the past 2 days just switched to a new Gardiners Ultimate brush not sure if this is the cause never had any issue in the last 8 years of using Gardiners brushes .

And good quality eraser sponges ain't shifting the marks will have to take out astonish paste over the coming weeks .

Advertisement