Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Using the Ankalad stabilizer

WCF

Help Support WCF:

That's fine but i would tighten the strap when it's set like that as that stops the legs moving sideways

The bar don't really do anything apart from let you know you have the right angle

I never use the aluminum bar when i use one

It won't move sideways as it makes a triangle and is wider than the ladder

Should you always use the bar? When climbing off extension roof without bar was so worried it would slide left or right. If the top of ladder isn't touching anything will the support give way? How high can you climb, my ladder is 6.1 metres? Also, I seem to take awhile setting it all up, which holes are best to put the support bars on? And what jobs do people use the ankalad stabilizer? Is it bit overkill for just cleaning a window?

Last edited by a moderator:
It won't slip sideways with normal climbing on and off it

It would be very hard to tip it sideways like having 1 foot and 1 hand on and hanging off the side

Really hard to unbalance

I used to use 1 on 12 rung triples at full stretch to do set back windows on a loft conversion on a 3 storey townhouse with no worry about slipping

Looks like the ladder is resting on the fascia in the last photo? If so it could damage the fascia.
So have the bottom part of the ladder come above the roof?

One other thing, with the metal bar or brace thing (on the bottom which stops the support legs things from spraying out or coming in), how far back should it go on the support part? Two thirds back from the bottom of the ladder? (the first picture top left)

Like i said i never use the bar at the bottom

Set the ladder at a proper angle

Pull out stabiliser legs until they touch the floor as wide as possible with the strap clipped together

Tighten strap

A lot of the time you will find the strap is nearly full length but you know the stabiliser is deployed well

If you then got the bar out tou will find it will fit on there somewhere

It is only a guide for the angle of the bottom so would be the same angle wherever it clipped on

I just don't use it as it doesn’t actually support anything and you can eyeball the angle

Do you use it on every property you clean or just the more awkward ones. And does it add much weight when carrying the ladder

You don't need one for regular window cleaning mate, in fact you don't really need one at all, but if your health and saftey conscience then use it, but as @boarcity says, it's not at all practical for window cleaning...

It depends

I had it permanently attached to my big ladders and always used it on 3 storey work and gravel etc

Used my other ladders for jobs that don't need it

Yeah, I must admit I never used one or anything like it for 3 story stuff, although probably should have,

But for standard houses it's a bit pointless really...

ive got one on my 3 tear for the odd job but it hardly gets used that pic of the ladder against the flat roof it not realy nessery to use the ankalad as its safe as houses weith out it the only lime i use mine is when the ladder is on slipry tiles or wet decking i find it a bit of a ball ack to set up tho an move the ladder when its deployed but its nce to have it for the odd job

I don't have the ankalad but like a few already mentioned you shouldn't really need it for window cleaning, it still worth having the ankalad on your ladder if you thinking

of getting into gutter cleaning like smurf .

smurf have put up loads of pictures on here which you should be able to find if you type ankalad in the search bar

Do you use it on every property you clean or just the more awkward ones. And does it add much weight when carrying the ladder
Yeah, it adds 3 kilos. I might use this 6.1 metre just for dangerous jobs and get a lighter ladder as well.

Been asked to clean a few gutters/fascias next month by my window custies and up to now been using just a stand off but still dont feel 100% safe that way but one of those would be ideal I think.thanks for the tips guys.

I got one thanks to smurf

Love it- earned hundreds with it this year- safer than someone holding ladder and cheaper

I'm WFP but have some 14 x3 ladders for gutters facias plus some ivy trimming ( easy money if you got head for heights ) when your set up with it properly the only danger is throwing yourself off

With a name like 'slippy' I would stay off roofs!

I've got a brace, It makes the ladder solid like using stairs, no movement. I refelted a roof and was up there for ages, gave peace of mind working at roofline height. If you don't like ladder bounce you'll like a brace/lad.

The standoff makes more difference in awkward setup weight IMO as the brace weight is near the user, it's easy weight and counter balances the brace

Back