Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Skipping a clean

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I’d hate to work like that. What if you fancy a day off, it must throw the whole round out?

Thats why I like being self employed. If a mate says do you fancy a days fishing/golf etc next week? I wouldn’t want to be tied to a schedule that stops me doing what I want when I want. Each to their own etc ???.

Its that glorious time again! Have a great weekend fellow windies. Enjoy yourselves, it’s later than you think!

Pub time ???????‍??
Enjoy yourselves while you're still in the pink.

As years go by as quickly as you wink.

Enjoy yourselves Enjoy yourselves it's later than you think.

Enjoy yourselves while you're still in the pink.

As years go by as quickly as you wink.

Enjoy yourselves Enjoy yourselves it's later than you think.
Got my first ska weekend in July, Tonbridge hop farm ska festival. We’ve all booked glamping wig wams 

I will polish up my D.Ms and put on my tonic suit and do some ooooool moon stomping ?. Can’t bloody wait

I’d hate to work like that. What if you fancy a day off, it must throw the whole round out?

Thats why I like being self employed. If a mate says do you fancy a days fishing/golf etc next week? I wouldn’t want to be tied to a schedule that stops me doing what I want when I want. Each to their own etc ???.

Its that glorious time again! Have a great weekend fellow windies. Enjoy yourselves, it’s later than you think!

Pub time ???????‍??
While your still in the pink.

I've had just a few that have cancelled with silly reasons..... weather (rain), windows are still clean, having a supermarket delivery (yes, really)!.... but generally most of my customers know from the start that I offer a regular service all year round! Out of those few that had daft reasons for skipping a clean; and then when I've explained that I offer a regular service only and don't want to have my time wasted they usually ask to carry on with the agreed service. Don't let the customer dictate to you!
As you know I'm fairly new and starting out, I did have a custy that was one of my first and I'd text every 8 weeks, who replied to the last text can we leave it until May, this was in march! So i went back with i recommend every 8 weeks otherwise it will be like a first clean and will be X amount. They came back with when can you do them!

I'm slowly learning that i need to be in control rather than the customer.

Pub time ???????‍??
This seems to be the default position most window cleaners seem to adopt.

I personally don't understand how texting a customer the night before that you are coming the next day, because you feel that it's time to work on that day is fair to the customer.

I get that you want the flexibility, but the issue here is that by default you are waiting for a green light to work, and every time you text them to remind them that you are coming the next day, it gives them the power to change that.

What you really want is a default position that it is always down to the customer to remember the appointment date, and all it requires is effort on their part to make a note of the appointment. 

Coupled with a clause in the terms and conditions that they are paying for an appointment slot, all scheduled appointments are still charged in full regardless. 

This way you take the negative aspect of locked dates into a more profitable proposition, they only forget once and they remember again trust me it works.

If a customer forgets, I will clean what I can, send them a text that we have attempted to clean the whole property, and as long as we are still on the round today, to make access available within the next few hours as we will be coming back through the area on the way home later on. If still nothing is done we still expect full payment for the appointment, and it works.

Now this is not a difficult thing to do, especially if you use cleaning planning software that will schedule the cleans anyway, all you got to do is communicate with them when you are on that round. 

This means that by default, all i have to do is print off my slips for the day, go out and clean and come home. I don't need to contact them, inform them that I'm coming,  I just follow what the planner says. 

Now I know some of you will say what if your sick, or weather is too bad, or the cat pukes up in the microwave, hospital visit, or even an impromptu day off.

Well THEN they get a text to inform them that the clean is cancelled, and a new date will follow shortly. This way by default my work load is reduced as I don't have to inform or text every customer before the next day that I am coming, it's only on the case of when I cannot make it that I have to do this which is far less time consuming.

And I hear ask what if the customer wants to skip a clean, or reschedule. Yep that's all fine a they have to do is contact me to change the appointment, or skip. It's called common sense. 

This seems to be the default position most window cleaners seem to adopt.

I personally don't understand how texting a customer the night before that you are coming the next day, because you feel that it's time to work on that day is fair to the customer.

I get that you want the flexibility, but the issue here is that by default you are waiting for a green light to work, and every time you text them to remind them that you are coming the next day, it gives them the power to change that.

What you really want is a default position that it is always down to the customer to remember the appointment date, and all it requires is effort on their part to make a note of the appointment. 

Coupled with a clause in the terms and conditions that they are paying for an appointment slot, all scheduled appointments are still charged in full regardless. 

This way you take the negative aspect of locked dates into a more profitable proposition, they only forget once and they remember again trust me it works.

If a customer forgets, I will clean what I can, send them a text that we have attempted to clean the whole property, and as long as we are still on the round today, to make access available within the next few hours as we will be coming back through the area on the way home later on. If still nothing is done we still expect full payment for the appointment, and it works.

Now this is not a difficult thing to do, especially if you use cleaning planning software that will schedule the cleans anyway, all you got to do is communicate with them when you are on that round. 

This means that by default, all i have to do is print off my slips for the day, go out and clean and come home. I don't need to contact them, inform them that I'm coming,  I just follow what the planner says. 

Now I know some of you will say what if your sick, or weather is too bad, or the cat pukes up in the microwave, hospital visit, or even an impromptu day off.

Well THEN they get a text to inform them that the clean is cancelled, and a new date will follow shortly. This way by default my work load is reduced as I don't have to inform or text every customer before the next day that I am coming, it's only on the case of when I cannot make it that I have to do this which is far less time consuming.

And I hear ask what if the customer wants to skip a clean, or reschedule. Yep that's all fine a they have to do is contact me to change the appointment, or skip. It's called common sense. 
Whatever works for you.

I’m happy with my methods ?

Pub time ?

I agree that if the reason is petty, elbow them.

However, you say you give them a date of the next clean. Surely you don’t expect them to remember that 4-6 weeks later?

It’s a window clean not a hospital appointment. 

I have a window cleaner. He text me the evening before so I can leave a key hidden and move my motorbike. If he said the next date is so and so, that would go in one ear and out the other as it’s to trivial to remember. But if it works for you.........
Your a window cleaner and you have another window cleaner to clean your windows ?? 

I also have a window cleaner!

Still not with you Cleaniac. 
If all your customers are given a next clean date and the van breaks down, your sick or whatever, surely you’ve got to text everybody that your running late.

I text, always have, most like that level of service. Very rarely do I get a cancellation text back and if I do I always ask why. 2 in a year and their binned. 
I used to be very structured but felt the tail was wagging the dog. 
Still, as said, whatever works for you. 
Sorry to have drifted off topic ?

Back