Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water getting into double glazing

BigFoot

Had a text this morning From a customer I cleaned Monday politely asking for no further cleans as they were not happy with the finish, "cobwebs and running", so I payed them an unannounced visit this morning so I could take a look for peace of mind, anyway the windows were clean, yes some light new cobwebs since Monday ( can't do nothing about a buisy spider) but identified the downstairs top opener window was bleeding water between the double glazing. The window looks sealed though it does have an air vent near the Ingres of water. The runs have dried collecting dust to make an internal streak between the glazing. Anyway to prevent this or is it just one of thouse things?

IMG_4114.JPG

As above. Blown seal on window. The air vent is in the frame itself not the glass and if the glass unit seal was good you could spray a hose pipe through the air vent without getting it between the panes.
It's knackered, not your fault however just poor timing.

Re: cobwebs... A spider can build a web in just 15 minutes so no not much to be done about the blighters.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Are you sure its not on the inside of the window rather than between the glass? If its in the area of the vents then it is very possible that you got water through the vent. Even with years of doing this job we have houses on an estate that are particularily prone to this.

Even although we are careful we get caught with a least one when we clean  them.

We do clean the frame around the vents with every clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure its not on the inside of the window rather than between the glass. If its in the area of the vents then it is very possible that you got water through the vent. Even with years of doing this job we have houses on an estate that are particularily prone to this.

Even although we are careful we get caught with a least one when we clean  them.

We do clean the frame around the vents with every clean.
Hi @spruce, definitely between the glazing I looked at it from inside also, first time I've come across this, very frustrating!

glass units are guaranteed for ten years, if the unit is less than ten years old they can contact the installer and should get a replacement from the manufacturer through them. If older then they should contact a glazing firm and ask them to have a look, the glazing firm will then be able to explain to your customer what has happened.

vindicating you!

Hi @spruce, definitely between the glazing I looked at it from inside also, first time I've come across this, very frustrating!

Then the 2 panes of glass have separated. Its nothing to do with you. You may have got some water ingress through that vent that started the issue, but normally any water would run around the sealed unit and exit through the drain holes at the bottom of the frame.

The household should be grateful for you finding that they need new units.

Back