Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Slow process building a round

SRW

It’s going be a long process but I’m not giving up might be a lot of competition in my area try my hardest to get where I want to  

It’s going be a long process but I’m not giving up might be a lot of competition in my area try my hardest to get where I want to  
What methods are you currently using? Door knocking, leaflets, facebook, website, any other?

Tell us what you are trying and someone might have some help?

I'm no where near full, but I've found that if you push the add on services and make sure you charge a high price for them, then the add ons can keep you going while you're growing your regular window cleaning.

Just be careful to not take your eye off trying to get regular window cleaning customers.  The regular window cleaning is your bread and butter for when people are not asking for pvc, fascia and conservatory roof cleans.

You could also try offering indoor window cleaning.  Most window cleaners don't offer it and most won't do it it so you will stand out if you offer it.  Once you're full you can pick and choose your work.

You've just got to keep on pushing on, over 21 years and I am still building and refining my rounds.

What I will say is digital communication is better for when giving quotes, I had custy of around 5 years cancel back in December then last month asked me to restart, I clearly outlined via FB messenger that it would be £50 for the first clean then £25 there after, previously I was charging her £22 per clean, I wake up this morning to a message complaining about been charged £50 and her wanting a refund of £28.00 

I screen shot the whole conversation and sent it to her, she had no comebacks at all. but has now cancelled my services

It’s like compound interest. 
To start with not much happens, but once you get a decent amount of customers say 75-100 you start to get referrals and walk ups trickling in regularly , which helps and is good for your moral??

It’s like compound interest. 
To start with not much happens, but once you get a decent amount of customers say 75-100 you start to get referrals and walk ups trickling in regularly , which helps and is good for your moral??
this is correct....the more customers you get...the more walk ups and recommendations you get BUT......you need to make sure your doing a good reliable job month in/month out and your attitude is good...i sign written van and logo d workwear helps too that clearly states what you do in big letters.....it takes time...years in fact but slowly,slowly you ll become part of the furniture in your chosen area....

personally id try and get a foothold in an affluent area..this is where ive built up nearly all my work in the last 28 years....i have over 300 customers in a 3 mile area so hardly any driving about....

this is correct....the more customers you get...the more walk ups and recommendations you get BUT......you need to make sure your doing a good reliable job month in/month out and your attitude is good...i sign written van and logo d workwear helps too that clearly states what you do in big letters.....it takes time...years in fact but slowly,slowly you ll become part of the furniture in your chosen area....

personally id try and get a foothold in an affluent area..this is where ive built up nearly all my work in the last 28 years....i have over 300 customers in a 3 mile area so hardly any driving about....
100% agreement.

What you say reminds me of this story I found on YouTube about a gold prospector the principals of the story are similar to establishing a solid window cleaning round. Worth a view only 3 mins.    

Side note, you must be the old timer in this story ?     

Remember your business is all about marketing. Clean window is only the end result. 

Marketing needs to be constant.

Good luck on your endeavor. 

This is where add on services come into their own.

No more waiting for the next 6 weekly wage pack

Pressure washing 

Gutter vacuuming 

Softwashing 

Property maintenance / DIY 

Gardening 

These all bring that pay day to a daily income 

Pressure washing 

Gutter vacuuming 

Softwashing 

Gardening 

What is softwashing please mate? 

What is softwashing please mate? 
Use the search button ? 

It's a way of chemical cleaning exterior stuff. One thing to be aware of is sometimes people, especially some on youtube vids, don't protect themselves or the surrounding environment properly as the chemicals aren't very good for your health. 

Remember H&S is actually there to keep you safe!!! OK so sometimes it's a pain but less painful then the possible consequences of not using ppe, safety equipment or a sturdy access platform etc. 

Use the search button ? 

It's a way of chemical cleaning exterior stuff. One thing to be aware of is sometimes people, especially some on youtube vids, don't protect themselves or the surrounding environment properly as the chemicals aren't very good for your health. 

Remember H&S is actually there to keep you safe!!! OK so sometimes it's a pain but less painful then the possible consequences of not using ppe, safety equipment or a sturdy access platform etc. 
Great advice thank you ?

Pressure washing 

Gutter vacuuming 

Softwashing 

Gardening 

Not getting this at all mate, if some ones rounds are full enough then no matter what the schedule 4 or 6 weekly the money is coming in every week just through window cleaning, I get a payout everyday Mon-Friday 

Not getting this at all mate, if some ones rounds are full enough then no matter what the schedule 4 or 6 weekly the money is coming in every week just through window cleaning, I get a payout everyday Mon-Friday 
Sorry mate. It's my opinion as I've always had multi trades and offer more services to break up the routine and repetition so that I don't screw up injures and suffer more. 

I find that more varied jobs from day to day can deliver a better income for me in my area.

it just depends what you want.....i like to keep it simple,clean windows,go home early every working day,weekends off and sometimes the odd day off in the week....basically part time hours for the least hassle/stress as possible which for me just happens to be regular window cleaning jobs...get enough of them and you dont need to offer any other services....also i thrive on routine..stick my headphones on and crack on...

of course i do the odd add job like a conny roof,UPVC cleans,solar panels for existing customers but its not often these days....maybe 1 or 2 a month in the summer months.....

Sorry mate. It's my opinion as I've always had multi trades and offer more services to break up the routine and repetition so that I don't screw up injures and suffer more. 

I find that more varied jobs from day to day can deliver a better income for me in my area.
No need to apologise, variety is the spice of life and we are all different, a mate of mine @THL4KEL does well with add ons as well and has a good varied mix, 

Me personally I like it simple windows day in and out suits me just fine, less equipment and plenty of work to keep me more than busy ?

You've just got to keep on pushing on, over 21 years and I am still building and refining my rounds.

What I will say is digital communication is better for when giving quotes, I had custy of around 5 years cancel back in December then last month asked me to restart, I clearly outlined via FB messenger that it would be £50 for the first clean then £25 there after, previously I was charging her £22 per clean, I wake up this morning to a message complaining about been charged £50 and her wanting a refund of £28.00 

I screen shot the whole conversation and sent it to her, she had no comebacks at all. but has now cancelled my services
Just to add she has been replaced by 3 new jobs today in around 3 hrs of her cancelling, all close compact work next to other jobs so no loss really, lost another one today as well £10 job but price increases on todays work came into effect so I am still up earnings wise. 

Back