Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Slow process building a round

WCF

Help Support WCF:

It’s going be a long process but I’m not giving up might be a lot of competition in my area try my hardest to get where I want to  
I've only just started up, I now go door knocking, Facebook page, also on local what's app groups,  I also dont do what work I have for said week in 1 day. I split the work so my van is seen about every day, . Add ons are good at the moment, GFS ,conny roofs etc, did 1 last week, ended up doing another 2 as neighbours see me working. Have registered on Checkatrade, that's getting me jobs to go n quote also. 

I've only just started up, I now go door knocking, Facebook page, also on local what's app groups,  I also dont do what work I have for said week in 1 day. I split the work so my van is seen about every day, . Add ons are good at the moment, GFS ,conny roofs etc, did 1 last week, ended up doing another 2 as neighbours see me working. Have registered on Checkatrade, that's getting me jobs to go n quote also. 
Keep up the hard work @Ian Docksey we will get there in the end ? 

whats check a trade like ? Was thinking about it but people say it’s to expensive for  what it is 

whats check a trade like ? Was thinking about it but people say it’s to expensive for  what it is 
I really don't think people search on checkatrade for window cleaners so in my opinion, it's a waste of money. 

Checkatrade may be good for any add on works you do though.

Will keep plodding on @SRW.

I've been on Checkatrade 2 weeks now,  it's got me 8 or 9 jobs to go n quote. So happy with the way it's going. The key is getting reviews on it. I got a few of my regulars to do some for me. And will get a few more to do a review next week. I feel If i can get a few regular reviews will be better, than just getting 20 or 30 done all in 1 week. 

Will keep plodding on @SRW.

I've been on Checkatrade 2 weeks now,  it's got me 8 or 9 jobs to go n quote. So happy with the way it's going. The key is getting reviews on it. I got a few of my regulars to do some for me. And will get a few more to do a review next week. I feel If i can get a few regular reviews will be better, than just getting 20 or 30 done all in 1 week. 
This 2 weeks in on Checkatrade 

Screenshot_20210508-095610.jpg

I spend £2k a year on Checkatrade but not that good for window cleaning. I mostly get pvc cleans, roof cleans and PW jobs. It pays for itself but getting too busy now so will be looking at reducing my advertising.

Received 2 full day pvc cleans for next week so 400 minus 179 means it has paid for itself this month. Also picked up a few gutter clears so advertising does work but you need to know the areas and customers to target. Rain all day up here so completing my tax return.

I really don't think people search on checkatrade for window cleaners so in my opinion, it's a waste of money. 

Checkatrade may be good for any add on works you do though.
I'm inclined to agree with @NewGuy and think it's more likely to be used for other services rather than window cleaning. But if others have actual experience to the contrary and do get window cleaning related work from it then obviously I'm wrong.

There's no doubt that sites like Checkatrade, Trustatrader etc etc do have a sizeable user base for whom they are the default websites when looking for any trade related services, but to give you a better idea of their potential just check where they rank in search results for window cleaning services (and other similar keywords) in your area. If they're prominent on page 1 then they likely receive a decent amount of traffic, but if they're down on pages 2, 3 or lower then why bother? Because they are not going to get much traffic down there and personally I'd put my money into a website of my own and concentrate my efforts on outranking them in search results. And not just them. Concentrate on your own website and bring in your own enquiries. I;m not saying it's easy but it is possible to do and achievable (for windows and addons).

It's easy to dismiss the value of a website but if so why advertise on Checkatrade unless online marketing works? Of course it does. It's all about putting yourself in front of the customer one way or another. And if you don't want a website at least claim a GMB listing for FREE,  and try and optimise for the local 3 pack in Google's search results and put your effort into reviews on there. Same goes for Bing Paces.

Not only are they free but they're going to get far more traffic than Ckeckatrade. It amazes me that people ignore these opportunities and will inevitably disagree....c'est la vie....and in response to the original post - GMB, Bing Places, Yell, Yelp, Scoot etc and learn some IT skills and make your own website on WordPress with a free theme and get your head round how SEO actually works and the way it relates to how search engines rank websites. It's not rocket science and you only need to understand the basic principles. When done right results can be immediate and it is perfectly possible to go from page whatever to page 1 the same day....if done right

I'm inclined to agree with @NewGuy and think it's more likely to be used for other services rather than window cleaning. But if others have actual experience to the contrary and do get window cleaning related work from it then obviously I'm wrong.

There's no doubt that sites like Checkatrade, Trustatrader etc etc do have a sizeable user base for whom they are the default websites when looking for any trade related services, but to give you a better idea of their potential just check where they rank in search results for window cleaning services (and other similar keywords) in your area. If they're prominent on page 1 then they likely receive a decent amount of traffic, but if they're down on pages 2, 3 or lower then why bother? Because they are not going to get much traffic down there and personally I'd put my money into a website of my own and concentrate my efforts on outranking them in search results. And not just them. Concentrate on your own website and bring in your own enquiries. I;m not saying it's easy but it is possible to do and achievable (for windows and addons).

It's easy to dismiss the value of a website but if so why advertise on Checkatrade unless online marketing works? Of course it does. It's all about putting yourself in front of the customer one way or another. And if you don't want a website at least claim a GMB listing for FREE,  and try and optimise for the local 3 pack in Google's search results and put your effort into reviews on there. Same goes for Bing Paces.

Not only are they free but they're going to get far more traffic than Ckeckatrade. It amazes me that people ignore these opportunities and will inevitably disagree....c'est la vie....and in response to the original post - GMB, Bing Places, Yell, Yelp, Scoot etc and learn some IT skills and make your own website on WordPress with a free theme and get your head round how SEO actually works and the way it relates to how search engines rank websites. It's not rocket science and you only need to understand the basic principles. When done right results can be immediate and it is perfectly possible to go from page whatever to page 1 the same day....if done right
75% of  the enquiries I've been getting are for window cleaning . 

King Solomon said choose knowledge and understanding and get wisdom. Took me years to know what wisdom was, but I now think its experience. Even reading about experience is not gaining the knowledge of it. When I joined Checkatrade for window cleaning, I got one call from a posh estate to clean her home, I now have about 6 in that estate which gets me a ton a month. I believe more OAP's are turning to these sites in their pursuit of trustworthy tradespeople. I have my own website but I believe my secret to exponential growth was after I joined Checkatrade because I'm reaching out to the customers I'm wanting to work with. fwiw

King Solomon said choose knowledge and understanding and get wisdom. Took me years to know what wisdom was, but I now think its experience. Even reading about experience is not gaining the knowledge of it. When I joined Checkatrade for window cleaning, I got one call from a posh estate to clean her home, I now have about 6 in that estate which gets me a ton a month. I believe more OAP's are turning to these sites in their pursuit of trustworthy tradespeople. I have my own website but I believe my secret to exponential growth was after I joined Checkatrade because I'm reaching out to the customers I'm wanting to work with. fwiw
And fairplay to you. As I said, I was only expressing an opinion and couldn't disagree with people such as yourself with actual evidence to the contrary.

I also agree with you that sites like Checkatrade are the default resource for certain people because of the perception they have in it highlighting trustworthy traders - which it usually does despite the number of pikeys on there.

I imagine it gets you customers willing to pay a bit extra and good luck to you if it works for you.

And fwiw I had more than 2000 visitors to my website in last 30 days snd I've lost count of how many enquiries so I do have some experience / knowledge of customer acquisition and what works.

The reality is you need an online presence / marketing in 1 form or another and they all have their pros and cons. It's going to be a very slow process unless you're very good at going door-to-door - and that's not for everyone.

Think I will give it a go mate how much a month is it and do u have to sign in to a contract can u leave at any time ? 
It won't be a Golden Goose if that's what you are thinking, a website or FB page isn't either and I wouldn't waste £42 a month on it, you will get enquires from all over, there is one firm in your town already on there with over 200 reviews you need custys to leave reviews also a firm called "Windows Cleaned Today" I noticed they have now gone limited they have a very good presence and reputation as far as I am aware and are doing a big FB campaign at the moment as I had an ad pop up ad twice yesterday. 

Get knocking doors, because while your not someone else will be and they will gain work fast!!

Last edited by a moderator:
And fairplay to you. As I said, I was only expressing an opinion and couldn't disagree with people such as yourself with actual evidence to the contrary.

I also agree with you that sites like Checkatrade are the default resource for certain people because of the perception they have in it highlighting trustworthy traders - which it usually does despite the number of pikeys on there.

I imagine it gets you customers willing to pay a bit extra and good luck to you if it works for you.

And fwiw I had more than 2000 visitors to my website in last 30 days snd I've lost count of how many enquiries so I do have some experience / knowledge of customer acquisition and what works.

The reality is you need an online presence / marketing in 1 form or another and they all have their pros and cons. It's going to be a very slow process unless you're very good at going door-to-door - and that's not for everyone.
I didn't believe in advertising till I studied adverts and read an article about BMW. Many years ago BMW did a great advert for their 5 series which was to target 55 year old males. I begun to notice guys that left the Fire Service began to buy them with their lump sum. That's when the penny dropped, BMW had targeted their perfect customer who had the cash to buy one. My perfect customer is an OAP who needs trust and reliability above everything else. We have an aging population up here who need much property maintenance done. This week I have 3 add-ons from Checkatrade bringing in over £700 but I still have to do them. ?

I didn't believe in advertising till I studied adverts and read an article about BMW. Many years ago BMW did a great advert for their 5 series which was to target 55 year old males. I begun to notice guys that left the Fire Service began to buy them with their lump sum. That's when the penny dropped, BMW had targeted their perfect customer who had the cash to buy one. My perfect customer is an OAP who needs trust and reliability above everything else. We have an aging population up here who need much property maintenance done. This week I have 3 add-ons from Checkatrade bringing in over £700 but I still have to do them. ?
That makes perfect sense. It's intelligent, targetted advertising. You've identified a particular type of customer and the return on the investment makes it well worthwhile.

Back