Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Slow process building a round

Legends of lonely old folk leaving their window cleaner millions in their will are probably just newspaper lies.
Yes usually they are , there was the case of a Gardiner down near me who worked for a wealthy old lady doing her garden for many years when she died he inherited the lot , house , money  cars etc was worth about a million that was about 25 years ago , he knew nothing about her leaving him the money until he was contacted by her solicitor. 

It won't be a Golden Goose if that's what you are thinking, a website or FB page isn't either and I wouldn't waste £42 a month on it, you will get enquires from all over, there is one firm in your town already on there with over 200 reviews you need custys to leave reviews also a firm called "Windows Cleaned Today" I noticed they have now gone limited they have a very good presence and reputation as far as I am aware and are doing a big FB campaign at the moment as I had an ad pop up ad twice yesterday. 

Get knocking doors, because while your not someone else will be and they will gain work fast!!
Yes I have seen that 

the firm called window cleaned today have 

It won't be a Golden Goose if that's what you are thinking, a website or FB page isn't either and I wouldn't waste £42 a month on it, you will get enquires from all over, there is one firm in your town already on there with over 200 reviews you need custys to leave reviews also a firm called "Windows Cleaned Today" I noticed they have now gone limited they have a very good presence and reputation as far as I am aware and are doing a big FB campaign at the moment as I had an ad pop up ad twice yesterday. 

Get knocking doors, because while your not someone else will be and they will gain work fast!!
I have seen that on my Facebook to mate 

window cleaning today have started doing big leaflet drops in Darlington and surrounding areas it seems to be working good for them 

best thing for @SRW is door nocking ! 

Yes usually they are , there was the case of a Gardiner down near me who worked for a wealthy old lady doing her garden for many years when she died he inherited the lot , house , money  cars etc was worth about a million that was about 25 years ago , he knew nothing about her leaving him the money until he was contacted by her solicitor. 
Nice, ? but I'm still not sure Scottish should rely on that for a retirement plan. ?

I have seen that on my Facebook to mate 

window cleaning today have started doing big leaflet drops in Darlington and surrounding areas it seems to be working good for them
They are based in Darlo anyway at least Paul is after moving up from down south and Tristan is dabbers son of YouTube fame who is from newton aycliffe, I believe they were separate businesses at one point then teamed up a few years ago

I reckon checkatrade is worth a try. It helped me convert from weekend windy to full timer. It does appear quite expensive but it saved me a lot of hassle door knocking. The website and the page they produce for you is well thought out and very slick.

After a couple of years I cancelled as I had enough customers and I couldnt be bothered with the feedback cards any longer. I`ve kept things really simple just have a sign written van, Wear a uniform and have a Facebook page. I get most of my custys from either recommendations and walk ups.

In view of the experiences from people who have actually used Checkatrade for whom it has worked clearly I was wrong about its effectiveness. I do think it's a bit pricey for those on a tight budget but if the RoI makes it worthwhile it's worth thinking about and beats a banner ad on Yell or a half page ad on some free mag.

But I also do think the value of a high ranking website is sometimes too quickly and easily dismissed as irrelevant / unnecessary. Websites also seem to get labelled as ineffective / expensive / complicated / slow to work, amongst other things. They can be those things but don't have to be. You don't need previous experience to build a site these days and just need to put some thought into writing it and optimising it. A decent website is an absolute goldmine and constant source of new work week in week out all year round.

And once it's the finished article and ranking where you want it to be - among the top results for your particular services and locations - just leave them be, sit back and reply to the contact form emails. Ideally you want someone competent taking care of maintenance, security, hosting etc but that's not too expensive e.g. a ThriveWP care plan.

But a high ranking site can stay that way with little effort and just an occasional update, internal links, new images or whatever. No big deal. It's better to add some new content now and then - if you've got something to say, or are offering a new service, targeting a new area or also run a blog page but it's not rocket science. It is well worth the effort

But I also do think the value of a high ranking website is sometimes too quickly and easily dismissed as irrelevant / unnecessary. Websites also seem to get labelled as ineffective / expensive / complicated / slow to work, amongst other things. They can be those things but don't have to be. You don't need previous experience to build a site these days and just need to put some thought into writing it and optimising it. A decent website is an absolute goldmine and constant source of new work week in week out all year round.
I know a website ain't a golden goose as I have ranked No1 at top of Google for over 10 years but I am in a very unique position there is only two of us with websites in my local area and I am the most longstanding in terms of online presence and would or should have had 100's of more enquires although not needed, 

For me it serves a greater purpose which is all new clients have to sign up to GoCardless so my site facilitates that along with keeping me top of peoples choices when looking for a windy which is always a good thing. 

I know a website ain't a golden goose as I have ranked No1 at top of Google for over 10 years but I am in a very unique position there is only two of us with websites in my local area and I am the most longstanding in terms of online presence and would or should have had 100's of more enquires although not needed, 

For me it serves a greater purpose which is all new clients have to sign up to GoCardless so my site facilitates that along with keeping me top of peoples choices when looking for a windy which is always a good thing. 
Well, with respect, we'll have to agree to differ. At this time of year I average more than 2000 vistors a month to my site and even December - February average 700+ a month. I get multiple calls every day plus contact form emails.

I don't advertise anywhere because no need to, everything comes from my website and attached are the basic stats to prove it - it's a goldmine for me and the numbers speak for themselvesGeneral_Reports-WordPress (2).jpg

Well, with respect, we'll have to agree to differ. At this time of year I average more than 2000 vistors a month to my site and even December - February average 700+ a month. I get multiple calls every day plus contact form emails.

I don't advertise anywhere because no need to, everything comes from my website and attached are the basic stats to prove it - it's a goldmine for me and the numbers speak for themselvesView attachment 24629
To be fair, there aren't many window cleaners getting those sort of figures. When I use Google Analytical to search how many people are searching for window cleaners in my area, the numbers are ridiculously low. 2000 visitors a month is brilliant but likely to be very rare. Well done though. 

I don't advertise anywhere because no need to, everything comes from my website and attached are the basic stats to prove it - it's a goldmine for me and the numbers speak for themselvesView attachment 24629
How the heck do you get such a low bounce rate?

2000 a month is truly great. How big an area do you target?

How the heck do you get such a low bounce rate?

2000 a month is truly great. How big an area do you target?
To tell you the truth I don't know what's going on with that bounce rate, it's usually much higher as I'd expect it to be.

I don't concern myself with it because people click on, get the info they want and click off again - fine by me.

I target parts of Kent and London but get enqs from all over the south east now and then - Surrey/Sussex/Berkshire

To be fair, there aren't many window cleaners getting those sort of figures. When I use Google Analytical to search how many people are searching for window cleaners in my area, the numbers are ridiculously low. 2000 visitors a month is brilliant but likely to be very rare. Well done though. 
not just windows mate - exterior services.

It's not easy to get accurate search volume numbers for particular areas and Ad Planner only gives a wide range of approx volume. Really the only way to get accurate numbers is to run an ad campaign or use a paid SEO tool like Ahrefs, otherwise treat the numbers quoted as an indicator only for keyword research and choosing keywords to target

Firstly apologies for not replying sooner..

You know what your doing in terms of SEO and optimising your site so no doubt you are yielding far greater results, so fair play to you, 

If you want to optimise mine you can as it all goes over my head completely and I know my site content is now below par and it wasn't previously as I am getting amber lights with yoast for my content. 

Firstly apologies for not replying sooner..

You know what your doing in terms of SEO and optimising your site so no doubt you are yielding far greater results, so fair play to you, 

If you want to optimise mine you can as it all goes over my head completely and I know my site content is now below par and it wasn't previously as I am getting amber lights with yoast for my content. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that amber for keyword optimisation or readability?

I'm only mentioning this in case it's of interest to you or anyone reading this who knows about the Yoast SEO plugin and who mght be interested to understand it better : for assessing optimisation of the target keyword it's an excellent plugin and provides feedback on important issues such as Kw usage in the title, main heading, sub headings, URL, meta description, word count and number of times used, image optimisation etc. It's defnitely worth improving problem areas and aiming for a green light.

But for readability I personally don't worry about it too much, although perhaps I should. It uses something called the Flesch reading score and its understood Google uses the same or similar algorithm  to measure readability.

This judges trhe most readable text to be that which can be easily understood by 13-15 year olds - so a reading age of 13-15 basically. It looks at various parts of the text including use of words with multiple syllables, length of sentences, length of paragraphs and so on.

Well, I'm not trying to write for teenagers and I deliberately avoid long or complicated words and don't try to sound clever but I still typically fall foul of the traffic lights and get amber or red and I don't care because it doesn't matter. As long as it makes sense and can be clearly understood by a typical adult that's all that matters.

If it makes sense to a search engine and makes sense to a customer don't worry about the traffic lights for readability.

Hope that clarification might be of use to someone.
Word optimisation I think as it flags issues with keywords from memory, the rest of what you've wrote went straight over my head ?

My eyes glazed over on just a quick scan of this conversation. It's all Mandarin to me. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back