Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Small amount of lichen on solar panels, need cleaner who does Boston Lincs

WCF

Help Support WCF:

the installers still in business and there guarantee is 10 years so would claim on them i guess.
We're only a forum of cleaners not PV or renewable installers

Your best taking your matter up with them and let them diagnose the white clouding as they are the experts.

solarworld AG went bust and it's very clear through a quick Google search that their insolvency process made void any warranties held with them directly

ive got a few local cleaners now interested in cleaning them.

one says: No you are not meant to use rotary brushes we use a soap and herbicide mix to clean then clear water to rinse.

two says: Hi its not my primary role but we do alot of panel work when the pigeons start living under them and cause a real mess. We usually scrape off the algae but can treat with biocide to kill that as well. We hand wash with extended brush. We don't use pure water as it's not like windows. We make a big difference to them. Give me a ring to discuss but if you are interested send me some photos.

three once i sent him a pic of the back of the house said: Ooo you'll have to leave that one with me, ideally I need to be at the height of the roof to get the lichen off. I will be in contact soon when I have a solution mate.

i had been under the impression chemicals were a no no. what do you guys use?

should i post this as a new question?

I've gave up cleaning solar panels, no money in it plus all the hassle. I removed all my signs from my van because I getting it redone with wash & Reach picture. Only thing on my van will be window cleaner and they can ask if I do add-ons or check my website, too busy now.

one says: No you are not meant to use rotary brushes we use a soap and herbicide mix to clean then clear water to rinse.

two says: Hi its not my primary role but we do alot of panel work when the pigeons start living under them and cause a real mess. We usually scrape off the algae but can treat with biocide to kill that as well. We hand wash with extended brush. We don't use pure water as it's not like windows. We make a big difference to them. Give me a ring to discuss but if you are interested send me some photos.

three once i sent him a pic of the back of the house said: Ooo you'll have to leave that one with me, ideally I need to be at the height of the roof to get the lichen off. I will be in contact soon when I have a solution mate.

Nearly all PV manufacturers only recommend using pure water only as regular water and water with a high calcium count will stain the panel.

Rotary brushes are rubbish and can get caught in the aluminium profile framework

Being a homeowner i wouldn't bother, pay for a professional service provider in the industry as a clued up customer may aswell do it themselves

@Apw1210 bit confused by the last comment? im trying to get a profesional person to clean them as i dont want to fall off the roof doing them myself. the problem is they all seem to want to do this work from the ground which with the amount of dirt and lichen on them isnt going to work unless they start using chemicals. also one company when i questioned the use of chemicals as my installer suggested trying one panel said: I have installed 1000s of panels in the early 2000's, but I think we will leave it its best if you get someone else to do it , its already causing grief.

so at this rate i think im going to end up risking a Rod Hull and doing it myself.

the rotary brush thing was something i saw on a thread about solar cleaning. it rotated like a roller not like the cheap ones people use on there cars. also i was under the impression pure water was supposed to be used. most seem to want to use tap water.

@Apw1210 bit confused by the last comment? im trying to get a profesional person to clean them as i dont want to fall off the roof doing them myself. the problem is they all seem to want to do this work from the ground which with the amount of dirt and lichen on them isnt going to work unless they start using chemicals. also one company when i questioned the use of chemicals as my installer suggested trying one panel said: I have installed 1000s of panels in the early 2000's, but I think we will leave it its best if you get someone else to do it , its already causing grief.

so at this rate i think im going to end up risking a Rod Hull and doing it myself.

the rotary brush thing was something i saw on a thread about solar cleaning. it rotated like a roller not like the cheap ones people use on there cars. also i was under the impression pure water was supposed to be used. most seem to want to use tap water.
We have cleaned thousands of panels I cannot tell from your pictures but we would easily remove that lickens from the ground provided there is line  of sight easily with just hot pure water there isn’t much licken on them to be honest , my concerns would be the potential de lamination of the panels and water ingress causing electric shock . Price wise we would be around £75-90 if safe to do shouldn’t take longer than 45-50 muinits tops . 

Rotary brushes are now all the craze for commercial arrays and are fine provided the right ones are used and the operator knows what he’s doing , I know a lot that use pressure washers to remove lickens but I wouldn’t do that as I think it could cause water ingress between the glass and frame of the panels .

only pure water should be used not tap water anyone who suggests other shouldn’t be cleaning panels as they don’t know what they are talking about , we have worked for some of the largest solar firms in the country and have been in all there training courses . 

one guy who quoted some time ago and i havent been able to get round since as hes been doing roof tile cleans quoted £160 for a hot clean and clean the front and back gutters. i think he was about £132 just for the solar panels.

one guy who quoted some time ago and i havent been able to get round since as hes been doing roof tile cleans quoted £160 for a hot clean and clean the front and back gutters. i think he was about £132 just for the solar panels.
You don’t  have to use hot but it will remove lickens so much quicker and easier , £132 just to clean the panels is expensive they arnt that bad at all to be honest m I would be more concerned about the milky look in the corners if they were mine .

You don’t  have to use hot but it will remove lickens so much quicker and easier , £132 just to clean the panels is expensive they arnt that bad at all to be honest m I would be more concerned about the milky look in the corners if they were mine .
one company did have a go with a pole and brush fed off my garden hose and this was back in June after the rain, as he thought it would be softened up, it didnt come off.

ive had a go today just brushing it from a ladder with a wet brush and it starts coming off. the grey patches in the corners also seem to come off but its like a lighter blue underneath.

DJI_0183.JPG

DJI_0184.JPG

Update:

after contacting around 10+ window cleaners in my area around 4 wanted to use biocide or herbicide the rest either didn’t get back to me or need to get a roof ladder or other means to clean them from the ridge. The guy who quoted £160 said if he would probably need to clean them from the ridge so would be £300.

so I’m down to one chap who seems to have experience cleaning this stuff off and is more reasonable with his pricing. I just need to wait a few weeks as he’s busy.

Just cleaned a lichen infested solar panel array on a farm, 200 panels! company I worked with used sodium hypo and roof cleaning setup of turbo on poles (not fully cranked on pressure but still pretty decent ) - obviously SH wasn’t left long to dwell before washing and it took 3-4 hits as lichen was super old and tough, lots of ghost shadowing after first few passes.
Takeaways are - this kinda job is a mission and wfp is gonna struggle on heavy lichen. Chemicals are a must and bio probs best a month before cleaning. Fwiw all panels were fine and inspected from spider cherry picker + farmer checked his computer to verify panels had increased in efficiency and were working okay after the job was finished
- some pics attached

Attachments

• 10313A9D-FA6D-4FB1-BCEE-0CDF172224E2.jpeg
    10313A9D-FA6D-4FB1-BCEE-0CDF172224E2.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 18
  • C5A28CFD-A21B-4B59-976F-5470832A8A47.jpeg
    C5A28CFD-A21B-4B59-976F-5470832A8A47.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 93D8BA72-0DBB-4846-A257-784E590D3DB8.jpeg
    93D8BA72-0DBB-4846-A257-784E590D3DB8.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 18
Just cleaned a lichen infested solar panel array on a farm, 200 panels! company I worked with used sodium hypo and roof cleaning setup of turbo on poles (not fully cranked on pressure but still pretty decent ) - obviously SH wasn’t left long to dwell before washing and it took 3-4 hits as lichen was super old and tough, lots of ghost shadowing after first few passes.
Takeaways are - this kinda job is a mission and wfp is gonna struggle on heavy lichen. Chemicals are a must and bio probs best a month before cleaning. Fwiw all panels were fine and inspected from spider cherry picker + farmer checked his computer to verify panels had increased in efficiency and were working okay after the job was finished
- some pics attached
I read recently that using chemicals on solar panels voids the warranty, is that correct ? Also do you know if they make a scraper of sort that can be used to clean the lichen off?

I read recently that using chemicals on solar panels voids the warranty, is that correct ? Also do you know if they make a scraper of sort that can be used to clean the lichen off?
Most panel manufacturers will void warranty if chemicals are used as they can damage the seals. The silicon 'elements' of the panels that actually convert the light to voltage are covered with glass to protect them and a backing to give support, the whole lot is sealed together to a frame. If the seals are damaged water can seep into the silicon and damage it rendering the panel useless - and unless the system is fitted with diverters, the whole array will stop producing if just a single panel is damaged.

Personally I think it's the panel manufacturers covering their backsides and having a get out for the usual 25 year warranty. Problem is it's a scaffolding job to get a panel down to be inspected by the manufacturer. So the costs involved in replacing a single damaged panel are quite high for the customer.

In theory any decent glass scraper will get the lichen off as it is just a glass substrate. The normal problem is access hence people do use chemicals and pressure washers but what long term damage is caused who knows.

Back