Smashhhh... £300. :(

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Kips, Aug 13, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Kips

Kips Well-Known Member

So, I was cleaning these three little openers the other day, and it turns out one wasn't closed/locked properly - window fell open inwards as soon as I touched it with the brush and there was the sound of something being hit, then a seconds silence then an almighty smashhhh....

Turns out (according to the home-owner) it was a royal doulton bowl and about 70 or 80 years old, and worth about £300..

I posted a note through saying what'd happened and apologised, we're going to see if they'll accept half the money as it wasnt my fault, there's nothing I could have done different and they did know the windows were going to be cleaned, they were in when we started but went out as we were doing the job. And if the wind had blown hard or a bird had hit the window, same thing would have happened. Short of checking every window before I clean it I cant see what I could have done different.

Sods law tho, they'd even said dont worry about those three as they're hard to get but being the nice people we are we said no, no, we'll drive round to next doors driveway and get them from there, and they were very pleased.

Until they got home and saw the note..

What do you guys think?

Advertisement
  2. mark m

mark m Hero

Very nice honest bloke you sound Kips you could have kept you mouth shut easy there and admitted nothing .It is worth checking out on ebay what royal doulton piece it was as Antique have taken a nose drive in the last few few years and you will be surprised how cheap you can pick up royal doulton

3. Kips

Kips Well-Known Member

Ive had a look but they seem to go for between 2000 and 20! I will try to get the pieces though to see if I can find one the same.

4. Smurf

Smurf Banned

You should not have accepted liability as it was not your fault. :Image16:
    Leaving a note saying sorry was not a good idea mucker.

Are you with gleaming insurance?

5. tench0771

tench0771 Grand Master

gutted m8 it is a hard one that. its not realy ur falt if thay new u were coming then thay should have kept windows locked an if the window could open an smash the dam thing well all i can say wat a stupid place to put a xpencive thing like that a strong gust of wind could have done that i wouldent offer any cash c wat thay say maby offer a free clean out of good will

6. Smurf

Smurf Banned

The reason why you pay insurance is to let them handle any third party claim againt you and then they decide if you are liabile or not. That is if you are covered in the first place. Simples... :Image9:

Here are some claims examples that makes interesting reading http://www.gleaminginsurance.co.uk/claims-examples.html

7. mark m

mark m Hero

Not sure if it is the same as car insurance but kips might have to pay a excess so it might not be worth claiming on his insurance

8. tench0771

tench0771 Grand Master

thats true. if he offers a free clean an say sory that could b the end of it ide b looking in to my insurance detals as a bk up go from there

9. OoO

OoO Guest

Offer to clean the windows for free for 10 years. Lol.

Proper sucks bud. Just wait and see what happens I guess.

10. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Here ya go

[​IMG]

Advertisement