Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Competitive or ruthless?

Kennygggkent

Transparent Window Cleaning
Hey Guys,

I've been thinking about quoting recently and what's acceptable business practices. As our own bosses we all know we can do what we want within the law, but when it come to being competitive and trying to get jobs, where do you guys draw the line? I ask because I want to be successful but I don't want to step on peoples toe's or get people's backs up!

For instance, I'm off to quote a gutter job later, I'm going to give my price but I'll also say "if you get another quote I will match it"

One of my big no nos, is if I am canvassing I never undercut or even try to persuade a custy to chuck their regular windy.

Experience, story's and advice please.......Thanks

Exactly that mate, I never undercut, but I would certainly price match a new job should it be worth my while

Everything you said is great except the 'match it' bit mate. Never do that, it comes across as desperate, and it makes them go looking for other quotes, when they were probably going to just go with you anyway. Give them a price you are happy with, if they take it- great, if they say no, then walk away. Remember the old tradesmans saying; "if you get every job you quote, then you are too cheap". If you put too much emphasis on being cheap, then the only work you'll ever get is bargain basement, and you might as well go and work for someone else. Just my opinions for what they're worth. Don't try to 'compete' too much, as this will get peoples backs up. Theres plenty of work out there- lose one, get another.

who u match there quote with

they cud get a mate to say aye tenner will do ..

they ring u

u say no lol

dont offer to proce match

we alll price and come to that price by summing up how much work we will need to do and how long it will take it is not negoiable

Just quote the price you want. If youre prepared to do it cheaper then quote cheaper in the first place. I would never scrap for work, i dont want to be cheaper or matching cheap prices.

My Equipment - My Pure Water - My Time - My Elbow Grease - My Extremely Thorough Technique - - - - MY PRICE - ***BOOM*** SIMPLES.

I've lost count of the amount of my customers that when I have went round to offer a quote, even before a price has been mentioned they have told my that they used to have a window cleaner BUT all of a sudden he just disappeared and stopped coming, then when I quote my price lets say £15 for example then they answer "Oh that's more than I used to pay! he only used to charge me £9.00?" Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock.

I then very politely explain that this is more than likely the reason he stopped coming and that my price is what I would be than happy to clean for now and in the future and that I can assure them that I wont just drop them when I get busy ect ect.

If a prospective customer mentions to me that they currently have or had a window cleaner, I don't even ask how much he charges/charged. My Equipment - My Pure Water - My Time - My Elbow Grease - My Extremely Thorough Technique - - - - MY PRICE - ***BOOM*** SIMPLES.

I made the decision right from the get go, I WOULD NOT UNDERCUT anybody's prices. As I have mention in a couple of posts before, I used to work for a guy who when he first started out did exactly this "UNDERCUT" and pis**d of other cleaners in the area, buts whats more years later when hes got a good number of customers hes stuck with those earlier customers where he undercut-quoted really low just to win the business and in his words he resents having to do them now.

At the start I made the mistake a few times of asking the customer after Id won their business "how much did the old cleaner use to pay just out of interest?" it work both ways GREAT if you are earning more NOT so great if the old cleaner was being paid more. So I soon said to myself "How much did the old boy charge?? Who Gives a Fig:giggle: My Equipment - My Pure Water - My Time - My Elbow Grease - My Extremely Thorough Technique - - - - MY PRICE - ***BOOM*** SIMPLES.

Oh Yea and just on a side note, In my previous life I worked in the motor industry as a parts manager and we had a saying "Most buyers are Liars" LOL o_O The group I worked for offered a "PRICE MATCH" intensive for most of the services we offered for a few months, and the hassle it caused with customers. It was in plain black a white that we would price match like for like if the services were the same, HOWEVER the amount of customers that tried it on and then kicked up a fuss when asked to supply proof of the cheaper price was unbelievable, people will always find a product/service cheaper if the look BUT will it be the same quality clean as yours? will they be as reliable and professional as you? and finally good luck with asking the prospective customer to prove the that the other guy has quoted £10 rather than your £15.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Tolish says, never 'Match it' never even give them the thought that there might be someone else out there.

Just this morning I arrive on a job and the woman says she has been wondering if she can afford to keep me. (£10) per clean.

Says here parents have a 4 bed semi and only pay £7.50 and her friend in another area (I dont cover) pays £8.

I point out that of the 3 window cleaners in her friends area, (and a right sh*t hole of an area it is) 2 of the windies have hard core drug convictions and the third has convictions for violence. All actual fact as these are the kind of idiots that like to brag of their exploits.

She also confirms that her parents have had the same window cleaner for 15 years and it has been £7,50 for at least the past 5 years and he turns up 'as and when' he can be bothered.

I point out to her that she has never had a complaint with my work, I always turn up on the 3rd Monday of the month, I text them the night before to let them know to leave the gate on the latch and they pay me by paypal so I don't need to disturb them on a random evening to collect. Then I explain the cost of my time to do the job for her, the cost of my diesel, the thousands in equipment in the back of the van and so on.

Now all of a sudden she thinks £10 per month is fine. /emoticons/smile.png

quoted two tonight, one a terraced £10 got the job, another (in a **** hole) semi detatched £12, no where near getting that one she was expecting £6 or so lol

you kind of know by area what the answer is going to be. moral of the story concentrate on better areas. My local area has lot of trad guys charging 5-6 quid. I have to travel 2-3 miles in either direction to get 10-12 houses.

i have a few clusters of 6 quid houses bang 35 out in a day in one area right nxt door to me lol handy as and all pay on the day and never ask to miss a daay all we houses to 5 windows 2 doors :)

you can offer to price match....

if like cheapie you add...

(if possible) on the end...

all new work has to go up as once they have a price they bloomin like to keep you to it../emoticons/biggrin.png

Latest Posts

Back